Optimizing Python Script Execution

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Optimizing Python Script Execution

RogueProeliator wrote:
With Jay on this one... I get the OCD of lining everything up, but sometimes I feel it hard to "match up" if you have similar variable values and names. Like, say, items in a list or a few similar URLs. Unless the variable names are ridiculously long, though, this is just a minor personal preference.

I'm a professional writer by trade and this construction comes very natural to me--we present data in tables a lot, and I find it's easier to read that way.

That's one of the things that I love about Python. There isn't just one way to do it.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:10 pm
whmoorejr offline

jay (support) wrote:
our voyage of learning.:

Thank you for the lesson. For a non-programmer that doesn't work in the IT field like myself, I'll take all the help and criticism I can get. I just downloaded PyCharm and I'm hoping that will help me with my future python endeavors.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:39 am
zoff offline

jay (support) wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
Highly recommend BBEdit. There's a free mode which is all you really need for basic stuff.

+1.

I've owned every version of BBEdit since the early 90's. It's solid and reliable, does what it does very well. Those guys deserve the meager amount they charge.

Is it possible to execute a script directly from BBEdit for testing purposes?
I'm currently copying code from BBEdit and pasting in the Embedded Python script window to test snippets of code. Not ideal.

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:00 am
DaveL17 offline

zoff wrote:

Not that I know of. It's possible with much more robust tools like PyCharm, but even that requires jumping through a couple hoops.

You might streamline the process a bit by converting embedded scripts to linked files. Then you could save your changes in BBEdit and run them in Indigo.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:58 am
zoff offline

DaveL17 wrote:
zoff wrote:

Not that I know of. It's possible with much more robust tools like PyCharm, but even that requires jumping through a couple hoops.

You might streamline the process a bit by converting embedded scripts to linked files. Then you could save your changes in BBEdit and run them in Indigo.

Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I use a Keyboard Maestro action run from a keyboard shortcut to execute the external script so you don't have to leave BBEdit.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn