Updating python 2.7 to latest 2.x branch?

Posted on
Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:59 pm
howartp offline

Updating python 2.7 to latest 2.x branch?

Hi.

I'm trying to try out the evohome-client package for Honeywell Evohome heating, but the pip install is complaining I'm still on 2.7.5

Is Indigo ok with me updating to 2.7.9 (the minimum needed by pip) or 2.7.11?

Peter

Posted on
Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Updating python 2.7 to latest 2.x branch?

You can't upgrade the built-in Python interpreter - only Apple can do that. You can install your own version of Python, but Indigo won't use it. Is pip complaining about that particular package or is it more of a general error? I have to admit that I've never seen pip itself complain about a given Python version. Only because a module it's trying to install has a requirement for a newer version. And, I don't think I've ever seen one fail because of a difference in the build/dot release.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:29 pm
howartp offline

When running the PIP install for this package, or indeed (having given up on PIP for now) when importing the client module manually, I get the same warning repeated several times during execution of the code. It still runs, but throws the warning:

Code: Select all
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:120: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#insecureplatformwarning.
  InsecurePlatformWarning

From Google, this was resolved in later versions of 2.x which is why I was asking - I'm surprised something like the version of Python is hard-baked into Apple's OS without allowing security updates?

Peter

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not really surprising - Apple provides the Python implementation as part of the OS release so any fixes/patches/updates have to go through the normal OS release process within Apple.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:59 pm
howartp offline

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Think of it this way: if Indigo shipped with it's own version of Python, but we allowed you to update it at random, that would mean: you update our Python, everything breaks because we haven't tested the particular version you want to use, chaos ensues. :o That's worse case, but it happens to some degree to us just about every time Apple releases an OS update, so we know to be prepared for the worst case.

Now, multiply that by millions (the difference between installed base of Indigo vs Mac OS X) and you can see why that would be a problem for them. ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:09 pm
howartp offline

But (to my limited knowledge) Apple isn't built on / doesn't depend on Python? It ships with it, and allows you to use it for (presumably) some stuff, but it isn't core (?).

Yes, if I upgraded Python, Indigo would break - but OS X wouldn't?

Windows ships with Powershell 2 / Powershell 3, and a number of commands exist that allow me to do lots of advanced things with it, but I can happily download any security updates from the Powershell team without waiting for the next version of Windows to come out in two years time.

:-)

Peter

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
Windows ships with Powershell 2 / Powershell 3, and a number of commands exist that allow me to do lots of advanced things with it, but I can happily download any security updates from the Powershell team without waiting for the next version of Windows to come out in two years time.

And, Windows is a steaming pile of instability... :P

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:17 am
FlyingDiver offline

howartp wrote:
Hi.

I'm trying to try out the evohome-client package for Honeywell Evohome heating, but the pip install is complaining I'm still on 2.7.5

Is Indigo ok with me updating to 2.7.9 (the minimum needed by pip) or 2.7.11?

Peter

Which OSX version are you on?

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.3 Beta (15D9c) and it has Python 2.7.10 installed.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 am
howartp offline

Mavericks.

I won't upgrade to El Capitan until Indigo is fully stable. (Jay, we've discussed this aspect on another thread)

I want to go Yosemite but didn't realise Apple don't let you after El Capitan is out. :-(

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just to clarify for those that may not have seen the official thread, Indigo is not the problem on El Capitan, but rather El Capitan (or 3rd party USB drivers) are... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:38 pm
howartp offline

:-)

Page 1 of 1