Python Versions

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm
wikner offline

Python Versions

I am doing another project (unrelated to Indigo) which uses Python 2.7. I notice when I connect to the Python interpreter on the machine running Indigo Server (it's local name is "homemaker") I get this:
Code: Select all
Lela-Laptop:~ norman$ ssh norman@homemaker.local -t "/Library/Application\ Support/Perceptive\ Automation/Indigo\ 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/IndigoPluginHost" -i
Cannot read termcap database;
using dumb terminal settings.
Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Aug  1 2011, 15:52:49)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)]
Connected to Indigo Server v6.0.0 b10, api v1.9 (localhost:1176)
>>>

I know I read this somewhere, but I can't find it: Do I still neet to be running v2.5.4 on homemaker? Would 2.7 be OK? Even that is slated to be unsupported in the future. Any plans for migrating to 3.x? If there is a FAQ on this, please point me to it.
P.S. Whats all this about "Cannot read termcap database"?

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Python Versions

Mac OS X ships with multiple Python installs. We use Python 2.5 for a variety of reasons, some of which are that 2.5 is the newest release on Mac OS X Leopard (the oldest OS version we support), we use a Python to C++ embedding library which wants Python 2.x, etc.

We have no current plans on moving to a newer version of Python unless we're forced into it. We definitely have no plans to go to Python 3 because it's significantly different than Python 2 and in many cases not backwards compatible.

The termcap thing appears to be a problem with the login account on homemaker.local for user norman. Those settings are usually done in the various profiles when a user logs in from a terminal but apparently there's a problem for user norman.

[EDIT]Python 2.7 was first shipped with Lion and it's the default python version on both Lion and Mt. Lion (though the Lion install is one dot release behind).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
... We have no current plans on moving to a newer version of Python unless we're forced into it.

Is there any risk in accessing Indigo via the internet with regards to Python 2.5.4 security issues; some of which were fixed in 2.5.6 (source only). I understand that there are now no fixes being done for any further security issues found in 2.5. I would like to understand the risk if any :)

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not that we know of.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:23 pm
autolog offline