Windows web browser for dedicated control page use

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:26 am
durosity offline

Windows web browser for dedicated control page use

Howdy folks!
I'm wondering if anyone out there has a recommendation for a small web browser to use on my Windows box at work to display control pages. I've tried a fair few but none have quite fit my requirements. It can't be Firefox, MSIE or Chrome and i'd like it to:

Work in some kind of Kiosk mode with no toolbars/options/etc
Remembers being scaled - because all my control pages are retina they need to be scaled to 50% - everyone except firefox seems to just forget this setting
Preferably support some kind of url directing to it so i can set pushover notifications to open it rather than my default browser.
Remembers passwords so it doesn't constantly prompt for logins.

Any suggestions?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:20 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Windows web browser for dedicated control page use

It can't be Firefox, MSIE or Chrome

Company monitoring those or something? ;-) Could try Opera - I can't say that I've tried the Indigo control pages in it, but it's a decent browser that has plenty of options and is fairly light weight. If you want a no-install version since it is at work, look for Opera Portable which was packaged to be run w/o install from a USB drive.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 am
durosity offline

Good idea, I never thought of opera!

And no monitoring going on but they are used for different tasks, I prefer to separate work and home as best as possible (although long term goal is to have scripts on the machine to activate when I log out to go home that it'll preheat/cool my car and get things ready at home for me.. (Like boil the kettle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 am
RogueProeliator offline

And no monitoring going on but they are used for different tasks, I prefer to separate work and home as best as possible (although long term goal is to have scripts on the machine to activate when I log out to go home that it'll preheat/cool my car and get things ready at home for me.. (Like boil the kettle

Could also run DomoPad via a Chrome App... I tested it very briefly as did another couple of users on here; I hope to take another shot at making it work even better here shortly now that DomoPad is ready to be published officially.

When you run it that way it gets its own window to look more "native" (it isn't wrapped in the Chrome interface) and functionality is separate than Chrome...

Adam

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 pm
roussell offline

Domopad runs great under arc welder!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:12 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Domopad runs great under arc welder!!

Still using it in that manner? I hope to "officially" release it there just so that people would not have to go through the trouble of packaging it up; I also may be able to get around that Google Play Services issue -- but I had to have the app in the main Play Store to get that to work, so can now take a look. It would be free there or somehow tied in to the main play store.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 am
durosity offline

Oh yeah that's a damn good idea actually. I've tried opera and it's actually surprisingly good but in current versions you can't hide the tabs/address bar without modification, i might need to look at the Domopad idea.. of course that will make me feel dirty.. tinkering with Android related things ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:37 am
RogueProeliator offline

i might need to look at the Domopad idea.. of course that will make me feel dirty.. tinkering with Android related things

Do I need to program you in a little popup that shows an Android and an Apple hugging and high-fiving or something?

You'll find, though, that running DomoPad in this manner more-or-less takes the browser out of the equation, I think you'd like it. There are a couple of tweaks I want to do to make it run better in this manner, but it is still passible as-is. There are the standard added benefits of going to Android -- your new wife will love you more, you'll enjoy life more, make more money at work, see more of the world, be more popular, etc. (1)

(1) SOME of the claims made herein may have some slight exaggerations and therefore are not supported, claimed or backed by the makers of Android, DomoPad or Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:36 am
durosity offline

Hehe.. perhaps!

And indeed Domopad does seem to be very nice.. eventually some day i'll likely get some cheapish (i know we've had the conversation on the pros and cons of that :) ) tablets for mounting around the house.. the only problem is that studies have shown that android users are more likely to suffer from delusions of grandure, suffer many STDs even although they're mostly virgins and they also tend to have nasty greasy skin **

**Disclaimer: this is scientifically proven and anyone trying to disprove this just further cements it all as fact.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am
RogueProeliator offline

**Disclaimer: this is scientifically proven and anyone trying to disprove this just further cements it all as fact.

Via scientifically proven methods such as used by the Dorthraki to verify facts... "This is known, khaleesi."? (hopefully some people read on here... :-))

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 am
durosity offline

I'll ask the wife.. she reads GoT. :D

And no, proven using good old Scottish scientific method. You know.. the kind that brought you the TV, the telephone, the inflatable tire, X10 automation.. tried and tested methods. Clear proof that using Android gives you rabies.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1