[ANSWERED]Android browser stops showing control pages

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 am
macpro offline

[ANSWERED]Android browser stops showing control pages

Bought a Yarvik Xenta TAB09-211 with Android 4.1.1 this week.
Main goal is to stick it to a wall and have a browser open 24/7 to present Indigo control pages.
But after a couple of hours, the browser stops and control is return to the Android desktop.

Tried this with the builtin browser "Browser", the Maxthon Mobile Browser and the "mini Browser".
No clue on why the browsers stop. Can't see any logging info on the tablet.

Anyone with some Android & Indigo experience who can give some hints on where to look for a solution?
Last edited by macpro on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Android browser stop showing control pages after a while

I have a console that pretty much never leaves the control pages (though the display goes to blank, the device does not go into sleep mode)... haven't had any issues like what you describe. If you leave another webpage up there does it exhibit the same behavior? What about another application?

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:21 am
macpro offline

Haven't tried other webpages yet, but I'll start right away.
Any idea for an application I might try?
I only installed browsers so far, because it's supposed to be a dedicated control page device.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 pm
RogueProeliator offline

If it happens with both other web pages and with other applications then I would suspect it is your tablet... if it is just web pages (or just Indigo's control pages), there is the possibility that the browser is leaking memory or something and Android system is shutting it down. You might try something like Calendar that rarely ever updates/changes as well as something more dynamic - maybe a news feed or something if a similar app is on the device.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 pm
macpro offline

I tried a news site ( www.nu.nl ) and it crashes also.
I'll try Calendar next and see how that goes.

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:18 am
macpro offline

Re: Android browser stops showing control pages after a whil

I've solved the problem.
No longer do I have to worry about crashing browsers, slow internet and other issues with this Yarvik tablet.

So I'm verry happy.

And for those interested in the solution: I've returned the Android mess and bought an iPad mini.

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

LOL -thanks for making my morning... :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 am
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
LOL -thanks for making my morning... :lol:

Agreed - post of the year candidate! :lol:

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:47 am
RogueProeliator offline

To be fair, that sounds like a tablet specific issue from an unknown (at least here) maker against an Apple product. Anyone else following this, buy a Nexus tablet next time! ;-)

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:33 pm
roussell offline

I bought a few Nexus 7s when they first came out to use specifically as wall-mounted touch screens. I've noticed that even they become 'laggy' after being up for a while, even with just a single app running (Dolphin Browser). This is something that I don't experience even on a 1st gen iPad that I have mounted in the kitchen and with the prices dropping on the 1st Gens and the easy jailbreak (Absinthe) for the locked-in-time iOS version on those now I find them an easy choice for permanent-mount touch screens. I sold all but one of the N7s which I use that one with the Asus stand as a bed-side clock/control point.

That being said - I am considering the 21" Android "smart monitor"

Terry

Posted on
Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I never did try the original Nexus 7, but recently purchased one of the new generations of them and love it... works solid and haven't experienced any issues at all (though not using it as a touchscreen HA controller). I am not one of the anti-Apple Android guys, though (I have an iPad2 and develop on it for work) and appreciate the iPads as well. However, I loathe iOS7! (To be fair, I don't like some of the manufacturer's Android skins either).

I have been using the ViewSonic 22" Android monitor here for more than a year as an HA controller without a single problem. The browser/control pages stay up 24/7. It has a sharp display (the pixel density isn't nearly what the new phones/tablets are, but the colors are gorgeous and it is good enough for sure) and I like that it has a wired ethernet port. Awesome size for an HA controller.

Page 1 of 1