Critical failure never seen before.

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:22 am
Different Computers offline

Critical failure never seen before.

Monterey M1 mini, all up to date running 2022.1.

I've got a slightly unreliable physical connection to my z stick and my power link, and that went south just a bit ago. Indigo could not reconnect to either after fiddling with the cables. Then, while troubleshooting the connections, for literally the first time ever when using Indigo, the client app crashed on me.

On restarting the client app on the server machine, it would not connect to the server. This behavior was still the case after rebooting the mini.

Indigo Touch connected fine, and the server responds to commands there.

When I went to "start local server" it showed as running, but the option to restart the server was greyed out.

Things only resolved when I chose to Stop Server, then restart it. Finally, the local client connected.

I realize this is a *very* weird edge case, but thought you guys would want to know.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Critical failure never seen before.

Thanks for the report. That is indeed an odd one.

My only comment is that the Restart button being disabled isn't unexpected as it only enables if you make a change in the Start Local Server dialog. Strange though that you had to restart the server to get the client reliably connected...

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 am

My guess is that the interruption to the PowerLinc and the z-stick put the server into some strange hang state. But then, the Touch clients were still connecting and responding!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:53 pm

thought I'd follow up here to say it seems very clear to me that M1s are WAY more picky about their USB connectivity than older Intel Macs were. The very same quality "professional" usb hub I had connecting my z-stick and PowerLinc for years to my old Indigo Mac seems to have caused several critical crashes on the M1.

I now have my Z-stick and Powerlinc directly connected to the Mini and I'm looking to see if the problems disappear.

Page 1 of 1