Old Server, latest OS on Client?

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 pm
sparker offline

Old Server, latest OS on Client?

I have a MacMini (2011, running Sierra) that's happily running my house, and has been for some time. I keep it as up to date as I can, but it's running Sierra for the Server.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use for client connections that I'd like to update to BigSur if I can.

Has anybody tried this and has warnings about upgrading the client side? I won't touch the Mini (it wouldn't run later OS's anyway), but would like to upgrade the MBP.. If it comes down to it, I can control it using TeamViewer and just removing the client app on the MBP.

TIA for comments/advice.

Steve

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:23 pm
yassi offline

Re: Old Server, latest OS on Client?

sparker wrote:
I have a MacMini (2011, running Sierra) that's happily running my house, and has been for some time. I keep it as up to date as I can, but it's running Sierra for the Server.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use for client connections that I'd like to update to BigSur if I can.

Has anybody tried this and has warnings about upgrading the client side? I won't touch the Mini (it wouldn't run later OS's anyway), but would like to upgrade the MBP.. If it comes down to it, I can control it using TeamViewer and just removing the client app on the MBP.

TIA for comments/advice.

Steve
No issues with that.

I have my Indigo server running on a MacMini 2009 with El Capitan. Rock solid.
All other clients are mixed. El Capital, Catalina, Mojave, Big Sur.

Yassi

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep - the only dependency is that the client version must match the server version. So as long as you can install Indigo on both Macs (one would be a client-only install), they you're good.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm
sparker offline

Thanks for the replies. I've upgraded, and so far, have been happy with Big Sur.

Now on to try to integrate IFTTT to enable/disable motion detection and notification on some new Wyze cams when I leave the house/return home. I've been using the IFTTT location detection to trigger the cams, but want to move that responsibility "in-house"... :)

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Page 1 of 1