Different functioning of INSTEON and Z-WAVE

Posted on
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 am
drewcaplan offline

Different functioning of INSTEON and Z-WAVE

OK, this is a bit complex. I have a mixed Insteon and Z-Wave system and have found a key difference that perhaps somebody has seen also.

I have a lot of scripts that deal with motion events. When we get a motion event, we turn on a bunch of lights around the house. When we get the motion off, we turn off those lights UNLESS those lights had been manually turned on.

So for instance, on my deck, if somebody toggles the light on manually, I flip a variable on. When I process the motion off event, if that variable is on, I do not turn off the deck light. The variable is only toggled back to off when somebody toggles the light off manually. This works because Indigo is able to differentiate lights turned on by manual toggle from lights turn on by script. I can react differently to a "on" receipt from a toggle (manual by a human) than an "on" received in a script.

But on my Z-Wave device in the garage, I get no such love. Any "on" looks the same. For Insteon, I trigger on "INSTEON command received" from the "Main Button/Group," and it works great. On Z-WAVE, I set my scripts to react to "Incoming Command Received from Device" but the script reacts whether the command came from the device or from a script. So this breaks my functionality for Z-Wave.

So my question is whether this is a Z-Wave limitation or an Indigo issue.

I know this is complex but hopefully I have made it clear!

Posted on
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Different functioning of INSTEON and Z-WAVE

This is due to a difference in how Insteon and Z-Wave work. In the case of Insteon, when the PowerLinc commands a device, it's not seen by the PowerLinc or Indigo as an action from the device itself. With Z-Wave however, all updates to a device's state come from the device regardless of how that state change was initiated.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1