Remote access to server

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 am
indigo2200 offline

Remote access to server

Thanks for a rock solid product. Just returned from a trip abroad. While in a plane somewhere in Asia I turned the heat on in my deep frozen Scandinavian home thousands of miles away.

Been wondering if I can assess the server remotely (the full client interface)? While on my home network I do this constantly from the client software on my Macbook Air, but that is limited to when I am actually on my local wifi-network. Would it be possible to assess from anywhere? Did I overlook something?

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 am
berkinet offline

Re: Remote access to server

indigo2200 wrote:
Thanks for a rock solid product. Just returned from a trip abroad. While in a plane somewhere in Asia I turned the heat on in my deep frozen Scandinavian home thousands of miles away.

Been wondering if I can assess the server remotely (the full client interface)? While on my home network I do this constantly from the client software on my Macbook Air, but that is limited to when I am actually on my local wifi-network. Would it be possible to assess from anywhere? Did I overlook something?

try https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id ... reflectors

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 am
DaveL17 offline

Two more options:

It is also possible to use direct access without the reflector service, which is what I do (I use the reflector service for Indigo Touch). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the reflector service--it works great!

1. You need to know the WAN IP that your ISP has assigned you (I set up a small Python script to save the Indigo server's WAN IP to an Indigo variable because mine changes regularly.) Then I can whip out Indigo Touch to get the current IP, and--with the Indigo client software on the MacBook--connect to this the WAN IP. This method requires your Internet security (router, firewall, etc.) to be setup to allow you to do this. Since you're able to connect remotely with Indigo Touch, you should be able to make this work. There are also dynamic DNS services that will do this IP tracking and routing for you (you attach using a static IP or DNS name that the service gives you).

2. More recently, I've been connecting to my home network via a VPN service that I'm hosting locally on my Ubiquiti router. Once the MacBook's successfully attached to the VPN, I connect to the LAN IP of my Indigo server. The company makes available a complementary dynamic DNS service for its products. This is my preferred approach because I then have much more access to other things on my home network. There are a few small limitations, but this approach is nearly identical to how it works when I'm sitting on the couch.

Both work like a champ.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:50 pm
neilk offline

If the request is to run the Mac desktop client, as I presume from the original post remote access is already covered.
Nothing in the native Indigo functionality for that use case but I use two methods.

1) TeamViewer which is free for personal use and is generally robust (they did release a point release with Mac issues). Other Remote Desktop approaches are of course possible and people have different views on the security and privacy implications of a cloud service for this but is is easy to use and set up. I also use the two factor feature they added after a well documented issue they had.

2) I have a VPN setup with my UniFi Security Gateway and with that you can then use the full client (other VPN tools and approaches may work just as well). This again works very well. If the server is unresponsive then I can SSH in locally once on the VPN and at least reboot.

It is useful to have both as different activities, access issues with throttled hotel Wi-fi can be better suited to one approach versus the other.
In most cases teamviewer is my first choice for simple access, but be careful to quit the client at the end of the session on your server machine as if you suffer from the client memory leak issue teamviewer will also not respond on the server either. In that case I either VPN in or TeamViewer into to my BlueJris box and SSH from that.

One thing I can guarantee is that rare as that issues are with Indigo it does seem to have an inbuilt geofence that knows I am travelling and in an awkward time zone as a time to crash (I know this is a general Home Automation phenomenon.

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm
indigo2200 offline

Great - thanks all of you!

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 am
landry offline

Hello

This looks like thread I need to be in.

I have a indigo server that I access with indigotouch by using client updater on my router with DYNDNS and port forwarding to the two ports that Indigo uses for client an server access.
The indigo touch is sett up with my dyndydns host name.

I am now a beta site for Starlink and DYNDNS will not work since that provider uses CGNAt and the router has a IPv6 address. The options I read is to use VPN and DYN.com offers OpenVPN. with my dydndns acccout.. Ia anyone using open VPN for client user access ?

FYI Starlink is 5 to 6 times faster than my cable account and on stormy days it is still at least 2 times faster. And when it snows that have a heater that clears the dish . Very please with my beta testing .

Posted on
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am
Different Computers offline

I use the stock VPN software that comes with Ubiquiti Dream Machines (and also the Unifi Security Gateway and Dream Machine Pro) and it has been rock solid for me.

If you're considering upgrading your home router, Ubiquiti gear is a great choice because of the UnifiAP plugin, which allows all your networked devices to integrate with Indigo. https://downloads.indigodomo.com/plugin ... P/icon.png

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1