EMF filtering

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm
Unklmarty offline

EMF filtering

A long time Indigo software user I am very familiar with how the software and devices work. I have a robust system with 72 devices, 12 motion sensors and 10 cameras being monitored via security spy plug in. In an effort to minimize missed queues or errors I have updated a lot of my system to dual mesh technology (aka dual band). My system usually runs great with only a random hiccup now and then.
I keep a close watch on my system and recently I noticed I was getting numerous error messages from devices saying that it there was a “send failed (no acknowledgment) from the device. I found that strange since most of the devices in question are hard-wired Outletlinc’s or Switchlinc’s. I replaced the devices but the problem remained. The craziest one is an Outletlinc on a separate circuit in the downstairs bathroom. It's an Outletlinc that only one outlet is controllable. It has worked perfectly for years. It’s in a double gang box with a GFCI outlet next to it. There is an Insteon LED bulb plugged into the outletlinc outlet that is always on, and it works perfectly, the GFCI out was also just replaced and work fine.

First I checked all the wiring connections to be sure nothing was loose. Then added Insteon noise filters on Refrigerators, Air Conditioners,’s, UPSs, Printer, Power Strips having phone charges and electric blanket plugged in as well as other potential line noise generating devices.

Looking for other sources of line noise lead me to discover a topic referred to as dirty electricity. Upon further investigation, I learned that dirty electricity could be the cause of my Insteon device errors showing up in Indigo.

Using the Stezer Microsurge Meter I found readings over 700 in many outlets through my house. Ugh

So my question is if I install multiple EMF filters through my house, lets say 10-20 filters (either Stezer or Greenwave) will that interferer with Indigo communicating with the devices?

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 pm
Unklmarty offline

Re: EMF filtering

After trying countless ways to reduce the Insteon device error messages, which I felt were the result of EMF disturbance, I went back to the beginning and did a hard reset of my PowerLinc 2413U. You know the one where you unplug the PowerLinc from the wall, wait 30 seconds, plug back in while holding down the reset button. The device will buzz, a long buzz , when it stops let go. Done All is well with my Indigo tonight and for the last 2 hours no error messages. Yeah
I am still curious about the effects of EMF filtering.
m

Page 1 of 1