corrupted file

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:23 pm
midd offline

corrupted file

So Indigo hung up on me again overnight. Probably the third or 4th time since swapping over to my mac mini server. The last thing I see in the log file is at midnight where it started a new file. I run security spy, iTunes, Calendar and Safari. I can quit those apps normally but Indigo I have to force quit and reboot.

I tried running disk warrior but I can't fix anything just yet because disk warrior is on the start up drive which is the same as Indigo. I do have 48% of the files out of place. I'll fix that shortly, hopefully.

I ran a permissions fix in Diskwarrior and I find this in the details:

File Info.plist

Detected that Property List is damaged and cannot be repaired
Encountered unexpected character d on line 19 while looking for open tag.
Location: Macintosh HD2/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/iFindStuff.IndigoPlugin/Contents/

I guess its possible this could be my problem. I wasn't running iFindstuff on my previous system. I'll know more after I run Diskwarrior off another drive to fix the other problems.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: corrupted file

So Indigo hung up on me again overnight. Probably the third or 4th time since swapping over to my mac mini server. The last thing I see in the log file is at midnight where it started a new file. I run security spy, iTunes, Calendar and Safari. I can quit those apps normally but Indigo I have to force quit and reboot.

Do you happen to run WUnderground? Dave recently made some changes that would occasionally cause a hang condition with Indigo. Of course, on mine that happened once or twice that I noticed in months of use, but still might check if you are on the latest if you use that plugin.

If you suspect it to be a plugin, you can always disable non-critical plugins (either one at a time or as a group) to see if it stops the freezing. Then narrow down (if necessary) from there.

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:04 pm
DaveL17 offline

Adam's right. But just to clarify, the recent changes that caused occasional trouble with the WUnderground plugin have (hopefully) been laid to rest in the most current version.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:16 pm
midd offline

No I do not run WU. I had disabled some plugins that I no longer use. Is there any reason to remove them if they are disabled? I read how to remove them in another thread but it's a process.

I doubt the plist flie has anything to do with my problem though. I opened it up and this is all it says:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>PluginVersion</key>
   <string>1.02.03</string>
   <key>ServerApiVersion</key>
   <string>1.19.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
   <string>iFindStuff</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.corporatechameleon.iFindplugBeta</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>1.0.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
   <array>
      <dict>
         <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
         <string>http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=181</string>dat
      </dict>
   </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Posted on
Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Actually line 19 has some bad data on it ("dat" after </string>) making it invalid XML, so it does look like the file is corrupt.

Just move the 3rd party plugins you don't use to the trash to delete them, restart the Mac and then empty the trash. That should make sure they aren't installed anymore.

Posted on
Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:42 am
midd offline

I used text editor and removed "dat" from that line and saved. Re-ran DW after rebooting and the file is no longer corrupted.

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

In the past when I've seen files become corrupt like this it ends up being either a hard drive failing, or the Mac's memory starting to fail. Just an FYI to keep an eye out for other problems and/or run some hardware tests (TechTools Pro, etc.).

Posted on
Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 am
midd offline

Thanks Matt. I've been thinking about installing TTpro. I looked for a free Ram test app but I couldn't find any. I upgraded the ram to 16gb from 4gb after getting the 2011 mini. the OS says the ram is testing good. But I don't know how in depth that check is.

I'm leaning towards the hard drive starting to go. I do have the original drive (that I ran indigo, security spy..etc) from my now everyday 2012 mac mini that I copied to the 2011 mini server. I swapped the 2012 drive out with an SSD drive. Just laziness has prevented me from swapping it out in the 2011 mini.

Since deleting the disabled plugins, fixing the corrupted file and cleaning up the drive using diskwarrior, I have had no issues (knock on wood). If it happens again I'm swapping it out.

Page 1 of 1