Log error

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:31 am
Shutter offline

Log error

I'm seeing the following error in the logs every minute:
Code: Select all
Error                           script error: Can’t make characters 12 thru -1 of "" into type string. (-1700)

I looked back at the previous logs and it appears to have started on Friday 23th, I know, spooky. I've not run any recent updates on the Mac running Indigo, or any plugin updates, though I've since installed a couple before noticing the error - an INDIGOplotD update which is throwing up loads of errors (but that's for another tread), and WUnderground. Even with both of these turned off I still see the above error.

Restarted the server and still showing. I've searched the forums and see this error has previously appeared, but was meant to be fixed. Running the most current version of Indigo on Mavericks.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Simon

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:03 pm
Shutter offline

Re: Log error

UPDATE

Done some more investigating. Turns out the error has been around for a few months (18th Jan) - really don't know how I missed it.

Tried deactivating all the plugins and restarting the server - error still appears.

Any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:24 pm
DaveL17 offline

Usually, it will say what plugin it is that's causing the error--I think WUndeground always says "WUnderground Error"--which are too common! :D

A quick Google search brought up a bunch of Unicode stuff, but not all that helpful.

Do you have any embedded scripts that could be throwing the error?

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:29 pm
Shutter offline

You would think it would say which plugin is the cause, or embedded script, but nothing. All I see is the following:
Code: Select all
Error                           script error: Can’t make characters 12 thru -1 of "" into type string. (-1700)

Searched the forum and did find one or two passing mentions of this. One was about the ad2usb plugin, which I've never installed, and the other here. Seeing as both appeared to be related to SQL Logger. So I tested with the plugin both off and on and the error still occurs, but when I try to configure the plugin it fails to open the config window, even after rebooting the Indigo server. So I deleted the database to see if that fixed it - well, I can now open the config window but the error still appears.

Tried unchecking a bunch of triggers using scripts but still nothing.

Is there a way to see a more verbose log in Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:45 pm
DaveL17 offline

Log error

In my experience, it's a case by case thing. In other words, enabling verbose logging is plugin specific.

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:53 pm
kw123 offline

This looks like an AppleScript error message not Python. Checkout the scripts you load from the script directory these are not plugins. And hence no plugin is mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:55 pm
kw123 offline

Also check scheduled actions if they have a script embedded. Does this occur every x minutes or random. If random check triggers and action groups for scripts

Posted on
Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kw123 wrote:
This looks like an AppleScript error message not Python.

I agree. In the log right before the error, hopefully you'll see some trigger or schedule that will help narrow down what's causing the script to try to execute.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:38 am
Shutter offline

I swear I'm not going crazy. :shock:

Kept trying a bunch of things last night right up until bed and I was still seeing the error. Turned off a bunch of things to try and narrow it down but it was still showing - so I just left it.

This morning I get to work and remotely connect to Indigo and low and behold the error is no more. For the life of me I can't think what I changed that stupid it, since it was still showing when I left it the night before. I made no changes to any scripts, or turned off any triggers. And there was no discernible trigger occurring before the error. That was a frustrating evening - don't you just hate it when that happens.

So I guess it's fixed‽ Thanks all for the pointers anyway.

Simon (baffled)

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:07 am
DaveL17 offline

Hi Simon - I wouldn't count on it being fixed, I'd suggest that it may just not be happening right now. Per Jay's post, what's firing right before the error showed up? Is that consistent each time?

If we narrow down the source of the error, maybe we can help you keep it from ever coming back.

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:39 am
Shutter offline

Hi Dave,

OK, I've searched through a lot of logs now and a pattern may have emerged. When I was looking yesterday there was none as it was happening very, very often, but if I go back enough I see less frequency but now a see the start of a pattern. While I often see mention of a Stella Z or DSC trigger, they are not as consistent. However, printEvents: no EVENT defined is always, or almost always, before the error, with either FINGSCAN initialized also before or directly after.

Karl, could it be Fingscan?

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:15 am
kw123 offline

FINGSCAN is not linked to apple script , but you never know.. ... An easy way to check is to disable FIGSCAN and see if it is gone.

If related to FINGSCAN we then can check what is happening.. by the way, which version are you using?

Karl

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:15 am
kw123 offline

FINGSCAN is not linked to apple script , but you never know.. ... An easy way to check is to disable FIGSCAN and see if it is gone.

If related to FINGSCAN we then can check what is happening.. by the way, which version are you using?

Karl

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:30 am
RogueProeliator offline

However, printEvents: no EVENT defined is always, or almost always, before the error, with either FINGSCAN initialized also before or directly after.

Do you have any triggers firing off the FINGSCAN plugin -- such as for a device being found or whatever? Could be that FINGSCAN being initialized is kicking off a trigger of some kind (either the plugin or a device tied to the plugin coming online causing a property or state to change causing the trigger).

Adam

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:28 pm
kw123 offline

You could just manually trigger the triggers/actions. Open trigger then at the bottom click on execute