Timers not updating, Thermo resets itself. Trigger fails.

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:36 am
hamw offline

Timers not updating, Thermo resets itself. Trigger fails.

I have about 25 devices which are monitored with timers, and some of them are not updating even though the logic is correct and they have been functioning well for a couple of years. Basically I'm monitoring the status of devices including RFX Oregon Scientific sensors and Insteon water sensors. The triggers are set to fire when a signal is received, resetting the timers to an initial start time. However, specifically two or three of the RFX timers have gotten a little dodgy and do not reset. I monitor the last signal received and they are all in sync, leading me to believe that for some reason Indigo is simply not firing the trigger. Since all the triggers are set to fire with "Device state changed", "Device name here", "Last Updated", "Has any change", Condition = "Always" and Action = "restart timer", and they have worked well for a couple of years, I think it's an Indigo problem.

Regarding signal issues or other plugins interfering with the timers, since the RFX devices update every +/- 50 seconds, and the triggers sit silent for hours, it doesn't seem likely that here could be signal collisions interfering for so long. I've attached a screen shot showing a control page on the left reflecting that 2 of 5 timers (Fam and Game) are stopped (red), the Indigo device listing showing these two timers inactive, and the control page reflecting that all the timers are in sync, as the devices are firing and updating the indigo database.

Timers not updating.tiff
Timers not updating.tiff (209.79 KiB) Viewed 6170 times

On another topic, I have a couple of triggers which should fire based on any change received from the AD2USB plugin. This trigger changes the temps in the family room and study if there is activity detected, as determined by the IR sensors firing. The IR sensors fire:
Code: Select all
 Dec 28, 2014, 11:03:08 AM
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 14 - Zone Fam Rm Motion 14 state changed to: (Faulted)
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 14 - Zone Fam Rm Motion 14 state changed to: (Clear)
  Trigger                         Weather NOAA Set and Parse Pd 1 Today Forecast
  Schedule                        Weather NOAA Set and Parse Pd 1 Today Forecast (delayed action)
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 14 - Zone Fam Rm Motion 14 state changed to: (Faulted)
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 14 - Zone Fam Rm Motion 14 state changed to: (Clear)
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 38 - Zone Kitchen Motion RF Wireless 38 state changed to: (Faulted)
  WUnderground                    Weather Underground data parsed successfully.
  AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 38 - Zone Kitchen Motion RF Wireless 38 state changed to: (Clear)

but the trigger does not execute. The trigger is set to execute on any change in the state of the IR sensors (two sensors so two triggers; neither fire). Below is a manual execution of the trigger:

Dec 28, 2014, 11:07:13 AM
  Trigger                         IR KitchenFam FamMotion Sets Temps
  Action Group                    Thermo IR Motion Occupied Fam Room Temp Based on Wind Chill
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Room" set cool setpoint to 74.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Room" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 74.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" mode request (received: cool on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" temperature request (received: 69.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" humidity request (received: 42.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" setpoint request (received: heat 68.0, cool 74.0)

This leads to the next problem. If you note, the " "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 71.0" is a direct send to that thermostat. However, the set point request shows that the set point is actually not 71 but 68, which is correct on the thermostat. Indigo actually still thinks the set point is 71 on the control page temp. The temp can be manually adjusted upwards to get to 71 and it will stick then.

Dec 28, 2014, 11:15:12 AM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" mode request (received: auto on)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" temperature request (received: 69.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" humidity request (received: 42.0)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" setpoint request (received: heat 68.0, cool 74.0) <---actual set point
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 75.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 72.0  <--- Indigo thinks it was 71 and was just increased to 72
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Study" cool setpoint changed to 75.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 74.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 67.0  <--- pressed down; correct response
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 68.0  <---pressed up. correct response
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 75.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 69.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 76.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 77.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 70.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Study" cool setpoint changed to 77.0
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 78.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Study" on (button 2)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Study" cool setpoint changed to 78.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat Fam Study" heat setpoint changed to 71.0

In trying to trouble shoot this issue, I've been through all my triggers to see if there is one which is executing to set the temp to 68. No luck. I swapped both the thermostat (Venstar 1900) and the adapter with another room's thermostat and adapter and it works correctly in the other room, while the other room's thermostat still sets itself to 68. That makes me think there is some sort of phantom command being sent to reset the thermostat to 68. I guess the next step is to go into debug mode and look.

Any advice on these issues would be deeply appreciated. :D

PS: the thermostat motion detector did fire on its own -- erratic behavior -- as noted below, with the thermostat issue again demonstrated.

{code}Dec 28, 2014, 11:44:07 AM
Trigger IR KitchenFam FamMotion Sets Temps
Action Group Thermo IR Motion Occupied Fam Room Temp Based on Wind Chill
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Room" set cool setpoint to 74.0
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Room" set heat setpoint to 71.0
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" set cool setpoint to 74.0
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 71.0
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" set heat setpoint to 71.0
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" mode request (received: cool on)
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" temperature request (received: 69.0)
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" humidity request (received: 42.0)
Sent INSTEON "Thermostat Fam Study" setpoint request (received: heat 68.0, cool 74.0)
[/code]

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:23 pm
hamw offline

Re: Timers not updating, Thermo resets itself. Trigger fails

This is the script that is run when the motion trigger fires. It sets the thermostats to the value of heat and cool set points variables, so I can keep the house comfortable during different seasons.

tell application "IndigoServer"
   set cool setpoint of device "Thermostat Fam Room" to value of variable "ThermoFamRmSetPointCool"
   set heat setpoint of device "Thermostat Fam Room" to value of variable "ThermoFamRmSetPointHeat"
   set cool setpoint of device "Thermostat Fam Study" to value of variable "ThermoFamRmSetPointCool"
   set heat setpoint of device "Thermostat Fam Study" to value of variable "ThermoFamRmSetPointHeat"
end tell

Here is the debug log for the thermostats.

Dec 28, 2014 6:14:36 PM
  Trigger                         IR KitchenFam FamMotion Sets Temps
  Action Group                    Thermo IR Motion Occupied Fam Room Temp Set
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.14.AD   0F    6C 94
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.14.AD   23.9C.48   27    6C 94
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.14.AD for command 6C 94
  Debug                           waiting 59 for idle input queue
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Room" set cool setpoint to 74.0
  Debug                           timeout signal
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.14.AD   0F    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.14.AD   23.9C.48   27    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.14.AD for command 6D 8E
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Room" set heat setpoint to 71.0
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6C 94
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6C 94
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6C 94
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6D 8E
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6D 8E
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6D 8E
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6B 02
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6B 02
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6B 02
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" mode request (received: cool on)
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6A 00
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6A 8A
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6A 8A
  Debug                           waiting 58 for idle input queue
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6A 60
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6A 2E
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6A 2E
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" humidity request (received: 46.0)
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6B 02
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6B 03
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6B 03
  Debug                           SENT: insteon 23.9C.48   14.23.C4   0F    6A 20
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   2B    6A 88
  Debug                           RCVD: ack from 14.23.C4 for command 6A 88
  Debug                           waiting 1499 for idle input queue
  Debug                           RCVD: insteon 14.23.C4   23.9C.48   01    6A 94
  Debug                           RCVD: direct from 14.23.C4 for command 6A 94
  Debug                           waiting 1497 for idle input queue
  Sent INSTEON                    "Thermostat Fam Study" setpoint request (received: heat 68.0, cool 74.0)

As a final test I ran the script from the Apple Script editor and it made no difference -- same result; set to 71, actual setpoint is 68.

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure why the Triggers aren't firing. Is it possible you have logic that is disabling the triggers temporarily?

I'd suggest duplicating your database file, then load the duplicate and strip out everything except the minimum number of devices/triggers required to see if the problem still occurs. We'll need to pare this one down quiet a bit to see what configuration/setup is required for the problem to occur.

Regarding the thermostat problem, I noticed that your cool and heat setpoint values are very close to each other. I think there is a Venstar setting that can be changed to configure the minimum delta allowed between the cool and heat setpoints. I suspect you are running into that. It would be nice if the ACK from the setpoint command to the thermostat returned the actual setpoint used after the thermostat makes the adjustment based on the minimum delta, but it doesn't look like that is the case.

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:43 pm
hamw offline

Thanks for the reply, Matt. You were spot on re the narrow set point band, although I have been using this for over a year and don't know why it decided to stop working. Anyway, it seems to have a 6 degree minimum spacing. So, if I want the heat at 71, I have to set the cool to 77. Works fine that way; much appreciated. :D I'll look at the Venstar docs and see how to allow a narrower set point.

Regarding the triggers, I definitely don't have any logic that I have implemented that would disable any of the triggers. However, I stopped the server and restarted it, and the triggers and timers appear to be functioning normally for the last 24 hours. I would not have posted, however, if this were not an ongoing issue. With that in mind, I'll probably hold on the database paring for a while and see how long it takes for the issue to recur. It would be tough to be without all my dandy Indigo functionality for days to track this down, if all it needs is a server restart. That said, however, is there any error checking to see why triggers would not fire? Seems like there is a miss going on somewhere.

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's very likely that the conditions which cause the trigger to fire including any conditions you have set are just not being met - rather than a bug in the triggering mechanism which hasn't green changed in a very long time. The problem with diagnosing is that you have so much going on it's practically impossible for us to understand all the various things that could effect the triggering. Simplifying down is really the only way we're going to be able to get to the bottom of it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Note we aren't saying there isn't the possibility this is an Indigo bug, but if the trigger logic stopped processing I would expect all triggers to fail and there to be some errors in the Event Log. Having just some specific triggers fail just some of the time is much more likely to be a configuration/setup/logic issue. Based on how the code works I don't see how some Dev State Changed triggers could just stop working unless they either became disabled or those devices stopped having their states changed.

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:09 am
hamw offline

I've been observing the system since posting the thread, and the Timers and Pesters plugin appears to be the problem. It starts to run up the CPU after a few days, up to 80% or more. Disabling and reenabling the plugin fixes the problem and resets the timers, and all the timers work until the plugin begins to eat CPU again. I have 22 timers in the system, so maybe that is a bit much for the plugin? I think this plugin - CPU issue is also responsible for the trigger problem, as when the plugin is reset, without restarting Indigo, everything works as it should.

One other thing: I have SMS alerts for when my water sensors and other battery powered devices fail or have no heartbeat detected. When I reenable the plugin, it declares some, but not all, of the devices dead. For instance, I have 12 water sensors, but the plugin only sends 4-6 device dead texts. Personally I'd prefer if it didn't send any texts on reenabling the plugin, but either way it should be consistent?

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

22 timers shouldn't be a problem. Are those getting started/stopped frequently or something? Can you explain with as much detail as possible what each of them is doing? Email me your database along with a description of what each timer does - when it's started/stopped, etc. I don't think just getting your database is going to be enough for me to duplicate the issue since the other devices that might be included in the process won't be available.

I don't know what SMS plugin you're using, but Indigo doesn't send SMS's directly. But in any event, you apparently have some triggers such that when the plugin reenables and the timers are set to inactive (when they start up) that's causing the triggers to fire. That seems to imply that your triggers are firing on a device state change of when it becomes inactive. The event you might find a better solution is Timer Expired event provided by the plugin - this will only fire when the timer actually expires (counts down to 0) vs when the timer is made inactive. Subtle but important distinction.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 pm
hamw offline

I am using count down timers for the water sensors, which send a heartbeat once a day or so, and also the RFX devices, which send a signal that resets the timers every 50 seconds. These timers are there just to tell me the devices are alive and the broadcasts are being received. The bicolor RG indicators in the control pages at the top of this page show the timer active state, and serve as a visual indicator that the devices are operating correctly. I could add a delay to those timers if they are being reset too often.

The SMS messages are just part of a trigger set so when the timers reach 0 they alert a failed device. They are Google voice SMS; would have been better to describe the timers as having been reset to 0, or perhaps failed.

I have changed all the countdown to zero events to "timer expired" events.

Additionally I've changed the RFX devices to disable for a couple of hours to reduce the overhead.

Posted on
Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:37 pm
hamw offline

To update the thread, I've tried everything I can think of, including changing the timers to different devices and recreating, as well as putting different timer actions into the triggers. For instance, instead of "restart timer", I tried "set timer start value" and then, after a 2 second delay, "start timer". The trigger fires, but the timers do not update.

As a for-instance, here are the trigger executions in the log:

Feb 21, 2015, 6:30:59 PM
Trigger RFX Timer CrawlSp 1 Fam Rm Battery Monitor
Schedule RFX Timer CrawlSp 1 Fam Rm Battery Monitor (delayed action)
Received INSTEON "Thermostat MBR" temperature changed to 63.0

Feb 21, 2015, 6:31:37 PM

Feb 21, 2015, 6:31:56 PM
Trigger RFX Timer Rain Gauge Battery Monitor
Schedule RFX Timer Rain Gauge Battery Monitor (delayed action)
Received INSTEON "Thermostat MBR" temperature changed to 64.0

Feb 21, 2015, 6:32:43 PM

Feb 21, 2015, 6:33:30 PM

Feb 21, 2015, 6:34:13 PM
Received INSTEON "Thermostat MBR" temperature changed to 63.0

Feb 21, 2015, 6:34:52 PM

And the timers do not restart.

This is not all of the timers, and I can live with it, but it is funky.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attachments
Timers not resetting.tiff
Timers not resetting.tiff (38.77 KiB) Viewed 5386 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

What are those delayed actions? They always seem to be in pairs after the battery trigger monitors fire...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 pm
hamw offline

Initially all I would have fire is a "restart timer" action. When the timers started acting weird, I set up the action to 1) set timer start value so the timers would receive a command and reset; 2) start timer, thinking the this would kick the timer into activity, and then 3) restart timer, in case #2 failed.

None of it works. It should be noted that several of the timers work fine. The non-working ones don't become active with the above manipulations, and I have tried redefining them and restoring them as timers. I have been a bit reluctant to delete and create brand new ones given the hooks to various actions and control pages and the associated hassle. Have been hoping it is not just my issue and would have a fix emerge in an upcoming revision.
Attachments
RFX Crawl Sp 1 Fam Rm Battery Monitor Actions.tiff
RFX Crawl Sp 1 Fam Rm Battery Monitor Actions.tiff (41.5 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Timers not resetting.tiff
Timers not resetting.tiff (38.77 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

All of those together are not likely to work. Restart Timer should work. I'd recommend deleting the entire trigger (the ones that don't work) and start over just to make sure you get a clean start.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm
hamw offline

I deleted the 5 RFX device triggers and made new ones, with only "reset timer" and "disable trigger for 30 minutes" (to minimize the impact of all these signals) as the only actions. They worked for about 36 hours or so and then all failed within moments of each other -- interesting. I restarted the server and they seem to be working again. I've now set the mini to reboot daily, and I'll see if that improves reliability.

Posted on
Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Try turning on debugging and letting it run that way - then if it fails maybe we'll get some clues from that.

Jay (Indigo Support)