{SOLVED]Send authentication fails

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:34 am
jmiked offline

{SOLVED]Send authentication fails

I've been getting a message in red text that reads: "send authentication failed, email re-send scheduled in 10 minutes". It displays this every 10 minutes and according to the log, it has been doing so for 5 days now. Meanwhile, the program has been sending other emails quite nicely over that period of time. I have no idea what particular event this message refers to.

It's being sent from a me.com address, but I can send emails from within Indigo by manually running scripts and it works fine. I'm not doing anything strange with me.com, such as two stage authentication.

I'm using a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8 and Indigo 6.0.18.

Can I reset this somehow and get rid of the error message? I've tried re-sarting Indigo several times and also re-booting the computer… it didn't change anything.

Thanks.

Mike,

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Send authentication fails

Very strange - if any emails are going out, they all should be going out. And when you restart the Indigo server it clears out any pending emails that weren't able to be delivered. Are you positive that once you start seeing the error that other emails are actually going out? Please copy/paste the exact error lines from your Event Log window into a reply (add a few lines before and after for context).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm
jmiked offline

OK, here's a sample:

Dec 16, 2014 10:18:30 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - LR" off (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - LR" off (button 1)

Dec 16, 2014 10:26:23 PM
Error email send authentication failed
Error email re-send scheduled in 10 minutes

Dec 16, 2014 10:36:23 PM

Dec 16, 2014 10:41:55 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - LR" on (button 1)
Trigger Motion Sensor LR Incr
Received INSTEON "Motion Sensor - LR" on (button 1)
Trigger Motion Sensor LR Incr

Dec 16, 2014 10:46:24 PM

Dec 16, 2014 10:52:00 PM
Trigger Home Arrive
Action Group Arrive Home
Sent INSTEON "Light - Dining" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Fan - Living Room Ceiling" on
Sent INSTEON "Light - Chest" on to 100

The Action Group "Arrive Home" in the last batch (which I invoked manually) includes sending an email from the same account. A few seconds after execution, I hear the whoosh sound of the email app sending the message, then a few minutes later, it arrives on another device. So, yes, emails seem to be going out just fine.

Very strange.

Posted on
Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo should log "Email Sent" once the email has successfully gone out. I don't see that in your "Trigger Home Arrive" log snippet, so I'm not sure how the email is arriving. Are you sure that trigger or action group is using the same technique to send the email (there are multiple ways to send an email: Indigo's built-in Send Email action, python or AppleScript, etc.).

As to the problem with Gmail not authenticating, read over this forum thread. I'm pretty sure the problem is you need to setup an application specific password for Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jmiked wrote:
A few seconds after execution, I hear the whoosh sound of the email app sending the message, then a few minutes later, it arrives on another device. So, yes, emails seem to be going out just fine.

Ah. So, you're using some different method of sending mail in the action that's working - probably an AppleScript that talks to the Mail application. When Indigo sends an email, you won't hear the whooshing noise - we send mail directly and the whoosh is coming from the Mail app.

So, it seems likely that it's a mail configuration issue and Indigo isn't sending any emails directly.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 pm
jmiked offline

Problem solved. There was only one message for which I was using the Indigo server. When I retyped the password, the problem went away and I got a message that the message had been sent. I had forgotten I wasn't using an Applescript for that one.

So simple.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1