email send authentication failed

Posted on
Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:33 pm
rgspb offline

email send authentication failed

For some reason all of a sudden Indigo is no longer able to send me a power failure email. The only thing that has changed is I upgraded my controller to a 2413U. I've been using my iCloud account for this for a long time. SMTP server is correct as is address and password. I re-entered all the info, quit/restarted Indido, shutdown/restarted computer, still no go. Any thoughts? Is it anything to do with authentication on Apple's side? Again, this was working up until I swapped out the controller this week.

Posted on
Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:02 am
Shutter offline

Re: email send authentication failed

iCloud now, for a couple of months at least, requires app specific passwords. I had to generate one for Indigo to continue receiving emails. Have you looked into that?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6186

Posted on
Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:11 pm
rgspb offline

I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is, I thought it was probably due to the new two-factor verification but couldn't remember the details. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:53 pm
keitharris offline

Thank you for posting this information. I've been debugging my email send problem for a week and your reply hit the nail on the head!

Posted on
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm
akimball offline

Thank you for this information. I recently had to change my AppleID passwords... something I'd been meaning to do anyway. When I did I discovered that Indigo quit sending emails.

Going to AppleID at http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6186 solved the problem, creating a new app-specific-ID.

This is something that you don't do every day... maybe once every year or two if that. Specifically, what fixed my problem was to go to the link, click on "App-specific passwords" link, generate a link which I named "Indigo Email"... and Apple gave me an App-specific password that I was able to paste into the "SMTP password:" of Indigo's Email Preferences. This was actually a little counter-intuitive to me... app-specific password does not really say "EMAIL SPECIFIC PASSWORD" to me.... but that's where you paste it.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am
zeigh offline

Thanks for posting this!

It solved the persistent Indigo email issue that I have been dealing with for almost three years. Not one message was getting out OR would reach its desitination with trying two different big name email accounts (Gmail and iCloud). I thought that I had tried everything (that my attention span could handle) and had almost given up. Somehow I just happened to see this post in troubleshooting something else and gave your suggestion a try, rolling my eyes the whole time in thinking that it was another dead end. Wow, all email functionality with Indigo suddenly came alive again! Great work!

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Page 1 of 1