[ANSWERED]: Motion off isn't being being sent

Posted on
Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:54 am
notsleepy offline

[ANSWERED]: Motion off isn't being being sent

I have a trigger for turning on lights when motion detected, and another for turning them off after motion signals 'off'. Often times no 'off' is received which means the lights stay on all night.

How should I deal with this? The problem is Indigo never reports the motion 'off' and once it has missed the trigger will never fire.
Attachments
a.png
a.png (48.66 KiB) Viewed 1707 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Motion off isn't being being sent (or perhaps received?)

Unfortunately, it looks like the INSTEON OFF command isn't always making it to the PowerLinc (and thus to Indigo). You might try moving some of your dual-band modules around to different outlets with the hope that will change the signal path (and increase reliability).

You could add logic to your On Trigger that performs the off actions after a delay, but that doesn't work well with INSTEON motion sensors (does work with X10 motion detectors) because they do not send consecutive ON commands. Thus if there is continuous motion you only receive a single ON command and Indigo won't know motion is still occurring (and your off logic would then execute even though it shouldn't).

So the best approach is to troubleshoot and try to increase the reliability of the INSTEON commands, which means adding more dual-band modules or moving your existing ones in hopes that will improve the reliability.

Posted on
Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:16 pm
notsleepy offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Motion off isn't being being sent

Thanks for the insight. I was really hoping that adding the phase coupler would have fixed any signal transmit issues. I'm surprised at how poorly Insteon transmits. Motion sensor, dual band light switch, phase coupler, and PLM are all within a 20' radius on the same ground floor of the house.

Before I added the phase coupler I was getting a lot of error transmitting reports in the log.

Page 1 of 1