[ANSWERED]: Did 6.0.13 break something?

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:43 am
richy240 offline

[ANSWERED]: Did 6.0.13 break something?

Ever since I upgraded to 6.0.13 I find my automation system less responsive, and sometimes completely unresponsive.

This morning is a good example: I tried to change the fan speed to high in my bedroom using Indigo Tough, and nothing happened. Then I tried to turn it off, and nothing happened. Then I opened the desktop app on my
Mac and the device wouldn't respond to either a behavior change or status update.

None if this was a problem before 6.0.13, and there's nothing in the logs to indicate an issue aside from the typical "no acknowledgement" error message.

Anyone else having this problem? It's very frustrating and has rendered my automation system completely unreliable.

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:24 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Did 6.0.13 break something?

Are you having problems with any other devices? Or just the fan controller?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 am
ryanbuckner offline

I'm seeing some issues too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 am
richy240 offline

No, it's pretty much everything, including plugins. And it's hit and miss - sometimes things work as expected, other times there is a huge delay or no response at all. I have had no system changes to speak of aside from this update, including App Store app updates. The troubleshooting steps I've taken thus far are restarting the machine, restarting the Indigo server, reseating the USB interface, and restarting individual plugins that I use. Nothing has resolved the issue.

Is there a downgrade path from 6.0.13 to 6.0 12?

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We've had no other reports of problems, including upgrades here. You really shouldn't be seeing many no ack messages - if you are, that implies that your INSTEON network is having issues communicating.

When you see devices not responding when controlling directly, what's showing up in the log? When it happens, check Activity Monitor and filter on "Indigo". Make a note of CPU utilization for all of the matching processes (Indigo 6, IndigoServer, IndigoPluginHost one for each plugin). That should show if there's something that's misbehaving. Also, before you filter, sort by CPU utilization and see if there's some other process running that's consuming high amounts of CPU.

You can also try disabling all plugins and see if things settle down. If so, start re-enabling them one at a time and see if it's a misbehaving plugin that's causing the problem. Obviously, any plugin that you've added/updated recently would be a good candidate.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:24 pm
richy240 offline

Any INSTEON links I have work fine, it's only when Indigo gets involved that things get screwy. Let's say for example I have a 6-button Keypad Dimmer with INSTEON links controlling a fan module (because I do). If I press a button, effectively sending an INSTEON signal to the fan module to turn on, it works every time. It's when I try to turn on/off the same fan using Indigo or Indigo Touch that I have a problem. This is also evident in any plugin I have, such as the Philips Hue plugin, or the Nest thermostat plugin - I cannot rely on these plugins working properly, but their native apps work just fine.

This is most certainly not an INSTEON network issue, it's an Indigo issue without a doubt.

I'll look at Activity Monitor and see what I can see, but I already have poked around in there a bit so I anticipate very little coming from that.

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

And the Event Log isn't showing anything at all during the failures? If it is showing something, please copy/paste it. If it isn't showing anything, them I'm very puzzled as to what is going wrong.

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:21 pm
richy240 offline

Did 6.0.13 break something?

All I'm seeing is a send/acknowledgement failure, as shown below for my living room fan (which is a different fan than I mentioned in my post above, but the resulting failure is the same).

Code: Select all
"LR Ceiling Fan" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Like I said, it's hit and miss. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it's slow to respond, and other times it completely fails.

I should mention that this fan is a normal fan, with no INSTEON fan module, and it's simply controlled by a ToggleLinc Relay. But again, the resulting failure is the same.

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That part sounds like an INSTEON signal issue, but of course that doesn't explain plugins failing to command hardware. What happens in those cases in the Event Log?

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 pm
richy240 offline

Did 6.0.13 break something?

Nothing. No errors logged, but I have not turned on any verbose logging for the plugins yet.

So is there a downgrade path? That's really what I'd like to do, since I wasn't seeing ANY issues on the previous version, INSTEON or otherwise.

I wonder of it's a PCL issue, versus an overall INSTEON network signaling issue. I don't know the extent of the changes, but I did notice the 6.0.13 release notes made mention of some USB changes.

Now that I'm troubleshooting further, the biggest plugin issue I've noticed is a trigger I have to power up a Hue bulb when a ToggleLinc becomes on. Since Indigo never sees the switch turn on, the trigger never fires. This same action, flipping the ToggleLinc on, turns on some LED bulbs as well (which works), which leads me to believe it's not a signaling issue. I thought the Nest plugin had a hard time updating its status too, but I really need to do some more testing before I'm 100% certain this is actually failing.

Posted on
Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 pm
keifer1 offline

I have recently up graded security spy and Indigo, Have noticed the images on CPages flicker less than a second now and then (Going Black) feels like system has been slow to respond. No errors but feels like their might be a lag. Doing some further checking.

Computer Keith
Mt Pleasant SC - Charleston
Indi-Go -Go-Go

Posted on
Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:08 pm
keifer1 offline

Indigopluginhost running @ 147% CPU.

8565 Faults
real memory 15.2MB
Virtual 674.2MB

System @ 35%
User @ 35%

Kill indigo server, User and System usage drop to about 2% each

Open Files and Ports:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/IndigoNestPlugin.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/IndigoPluginHost
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyControls.framework/Versions/A/FamilyControls
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommerceCore.framework/Versions/A/CommerceCore
/private/var/folders/nl/vk3lk6rs63n9f3v33z786d500000gn/C/com.apple.scriptmanager2.le.cache
/System/Library/TextEncodings/Unicode Encodings.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Unicode Encodings
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/datetime.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/select.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/time.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/fcntl.so
/usr/share/icu/icudt51l.dat
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/strop.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/collections.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/termios.so
/private/var/folders/nl/vk3lk6rs63n9f3v33z786d500000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-044501.csstore
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_struct.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/operator.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_socket.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_ssl.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/cStringIO.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/math.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/binascii.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_random.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_hashlib.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_bisect.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/pyexpat.so
/usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/icglue.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_Res.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_File.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/MacOS.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/unicodedata.so
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/array.so
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
count=2, state=0x2
localhost:49209->localhost:indigo-server
->0x7fc539054c205f2b
->0x7fc539054c205fdb
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-mac/errors.rsrc.df.rsrc

Computer Keith
Mt Pleasant SC - Charleston
Indi-Go -Go-Go

Posted on
Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You have a runaway plugin. It may be a new one that you've recently added. I'd recommend that you disable any that are new to see if you can figure out which one it is..

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 pm
richy240 offline

I've been watching Indigo over the past few days and I can't find any rhyme or reason why things are freaking out, but they are. Today the IndigoServer process caused a severe CPU spike, and to troubleshoot I disabled absolutely every plugin I have. Nothing short of stopping the server and restarting it knocked the CPU utilization down to a normal level. Reenabling the plugins didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

I am keeping the Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin plugin disabled for the time being because that one did seem to be causing some problems, but otherwise there are still issues that I have yet to be able to nail down.

Posted on
Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Did you have all the plugins disabled before this last CPU spike or after?

Jay (Indigo Support)