Can't rename or update variables list (OS 11.0.1 Big Sur)

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:45 am
Butch2427 offline

Can't rename or update variables list (OS 11.0.1 Big Sur)

I'm unable to rename a variable or folder in the variable list using OS 11.0.1 and Indigo 7.4.1. Double clicking does highlight the name but keyboard input does not take place. The Mac Mini 2018 I'm using sounds an error tone with each keystroke. This happens in dark mode or light. All other functions an/or input seems to be fine. Am I loosing it?

Butch

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't rename or update variables list (OS 11.0.1 Big Sur

Hmmm. I can't reproduce it at the moment, but as soon as I can get a working Big Sur install I'll check it out.

Anyone else able to reproduce this?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:56 pm
Ramias offline

works fine for me with Big Sur.

Posted on
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:22 pm
boisy offline

I just tried it on my Mac mini M1 running Big Sur, and am able to rename variables just fine.

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:47 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Hmmm. I can't reproduce it at the moment, but as soon as I can get a working Big Sur install I'll check it out.

Anyone else able to reproduce this?

I'm at a loss on this one..... the variable list seems to be the only thing affected. I appreciated the responses.

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

What are you trying to rename the variable to? There are limitations to variable names (no special characters, and I believe should start with an alpha character). If that isn't it, then can you share a screen shot of what it looks like once it is in edit mode (but rejecting key presses)?

And if you double-click a variable value (not name) can you edit that?

Lastly, are you using screen sharing to access this Mac remotely?

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:05 pm
Butch2427 offline

matt (support) wrote:
What are you trying to rename the variable to? There are limitations to variable names (no special characters, and I believe should start with an alpha character). If that isn't it, then can you share a screen shot of what it looks like once it is in edit mode (but rejecting key presses)?

And if you double-click a variable value (not name) can you edit that?

Lastly, are you using screen sharing to access this Mac remotely?

In the screenshot below I've created a new variable and then double clicked on the name "variable". The name text box changes but no cursor appears. Any key press results in an error tone and no input. This applies to any keypress, numbers or alphas. I'm unable to edit a variable value, name or even a folder name. I'm not remotely connected to this mini, which by the way is only a couple of weeks old.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 10.53.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 10.53.23 AM.png (149.61 KiB) Viewed 5181 times

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

This is a really strange one. Can you edit folder names in the Main Window?

Try quitting the Indigo client, deleting this file, and restarting it:

~ (your macos user folder)/Library/Preferences/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-client6.plist

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:38 pm
Butch2427 offline

matt (support) wrote:
This is a really strange one. Can you edit folder names in the Main Window?

Try quitting the Indigo client, deleting this file, and restarting it:

~ (your macos user folder)/Library/Preferences/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-client6.plist

Yes, I can edit folder names in the main window. After quoting Indigo I'm unable to find the above file. The only "plist" file is the one seen in the screenshot below......
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 11.35.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 11.35.02 AM.png (158.58 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

After quitting Indigoi choose the Finder Go->Go to Folder... menu item and copy paste in:

Code: Select all
~/Library/Preferences/

then search for and delete the com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-client6.plist file.

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Butch2427 offline

matt (support) wrote:
After quitting Indigoi choose the Finder Go->Go to Folder... menu item and copy paste in:

Code: Select all
~/Library/Preferences/

then search for and delete the com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-client6.plist file.

ok, I found the file and deleted it after stopping indigo. After restarting indigo the problem still persists. I did note that the variable (1431286794) shown in the screenshot above no longer was present on the list. I clicked the "New" button and a new variable named "variable_1" was created with no value. I was unable to modify anything in the name or value column, receiving a error tone with each keystroke. Just for fun, I re-deleted the plist file again after quitting indigo and then rebooted the machine. Still, the problem persists.

Butch

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Are there any type of errors logged in the Event Log window?

What happens if you (temporarily) create a new empty database in Indigo (via the File menu)? Can you create and edit a variable name/value in that?

Also try closing all the windows in the Indigo app except the Variables window? Does it still fail?

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:25 pm
Butch2427 offline

matt (support) wrote:
Are there any type of errors logged in the Event Log window?

What happens if you (temporarily) create a new empty database in Indigo (via the File menu)? Can you create and edit a variable name/value in that?

Also try closing all the windows in the Indigo app except the Variables window? Does it still fail?

No errors get logged in the event log.
Closed all windows except variable had no affect
Created a new blank database and tried to edit an added variable but the problem is still there.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:12 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given that you're the only one having the issue, and we've tried everything we can think of, I think it has to be environmental and specific to your system. Are you sure that you don't have any extensions that alter any UI behavior? Maybe something that's not working with Big Sur.

The last and only thing I can think of at this point would be to completely uninstall Indigo then rerun the installer to create a clean install. You can save off your DB and then manually move it back into place once you see if a totally clean install works.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:03 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Given that you're the only one having the issue, and we've tried everything we can think of, I think it has to be environmental and specific to your system. Are you sure that you don't have any extensions that alter any UI behavior? Maybe something that's not working with Big Sur.

The last and only thing I can think of at this point would be to completely uninstall Indigo then rerun the installer to create a clean install. You can save off your DB and then manually move it back into place once you see if a totally clean install works.

Can't think of anything that would alter UI behavior. This mac mini is literally only weeks old with a fresh download of Big Sur. It's dedicated for Indigo's use and nothing else. I kind of figured this was heading toward a fresh install so that's the direction I'll head. Bummer, since everything else is working smoothly. I do appreciate all of your guys' input and help. I report back how this plays out.