MySensor Arduino devices over Vera Bridge

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:45 am
srkinard offline

MySensor Arduino devices over Vera Bridge

Since I cannot get the MySensors Arduino plugin to work in Indigo, I thought I had a way to do it.

I've got the MySensors configuration running on my old VeraLite and it is working there...so I thought I would just add the devices to Indigo via the Vera Bridge.

Unfortunately, those devices do not show up in the list presented by the plugin.

Is there any way anyone can think of to get the device in Vera to appear to Indigo via the Bridge?
Attachments
Vera-Arduino-Motion-Sensor-1.png
Vera-Arduino-Motion-Sensor-1.png (183.05 KiB) Viewed 6653 times

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm
kw123 offline

Re: MySensor Arduino devices over Vera Bridge

You could try the arduino plugin in indigo and skip Vera altogether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:00 am
srkinard offline

You could try the arduino plugin in indigo and skip Vera altogether

The MySensors Arduino plugin doesn't work for me. I posted on the MySensors forum to the developer about it, but he's not been online there in a few months it seems. The MySensors plugin shows communication messages in the debug log in Indigo, but when you actually try to create a new device using the detected sensor module, the popup is always blank.

Another user on MySensors posted the same issue...I actually had just replied on his thread. I'm thinking something was updated in Indigo that hasn't been updated in the plugin to function. I think the source code is posted on the plugin's GIT page, so I may see if I can look at it and learn what it is doing.

Would be awesome if the developers of Indigo could look it over and work with the MySensors guys to fully implement that wireless protocol into Indigo natively. Would open up a world of sub-$20 sensor modules.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

srkinard wrote:
Is there any way anyone can think of to get the device in Vera to appear to Indigo via the Bridge?

The Vera Bridge plugin only supports a limited number of device types which does not include sensors.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

srkinard wrote:
Would be awesome if the developers of Indigo could look it over and work with the MySensors guys to fully implement that wireless protocol into Indigo natively. Would open up a world of sub-$20 sensor modules.

While the inner geek in me is intrigued, the business guy in me says that the MySensors technology is not really usable by a large enough number of consumers, so spending time on it doesn't give us a good ROI. Hopefully someone with that level of experience can take a look at the plugin to see what's going on with it. But this is definitely one of those things that's best left as a community supported plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:16 pm
jfeger offline

I am using the MySensors plugin without any issues. Are you sure you have the right version loaded? The plugin only supports a single release of the MySensors libraries. The sketches need to be built with that in mind also.

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:09 pm
jfeger offline

Im using them again without issue. Make sure you clear the EEPROM on the Arduino board, and use the 1.5 library. If you try 1.6 or 2.0, you will be out of luck. The major change on the Serial API was in 1.6, so I am tempted to take the code that exists and adapt it to the 1.6/2.0 API.

I do admit, I think its a minimal amount of code for a solid developer, and the world it opens up to Indigo is huge. Im hopeful someone with much better skills than I decides to take a look as well.

PS - Are you sure your communication is working? The 2.4Ghz radio's pretty much are terrible if you aren't in a perfect setting. I am switching to the RFM69 radio for that reason, and I believe a lot of others are also.

-j

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:45 am
jfeger offline

Update : As I said, the MySensors plugin only worked properly with one version of the MySensors library, which is 1.5. I think the author said 1.4, but I am using 1.5. The only issues I bump into are radio related, and I am in the process of switching off of the cheap 2.4Ghz and going with the less cheap 858Mhz RFM69 module. This will greatly improve the radio communication, and we should be good to.

Aside from that, I have been working with the code to bring the MySensors plugin up to speed to support the MySensors 2.0 library. Fortunately, the Api hasn't changed much at all, so this is really more of a massaging effort of the code Marcel Trapman already contributed. Additionally, I am tweaking some of the logging, as the new API generates more "noise" in the log.

Lastly, I plan to add the new device types supported by MySensors and Indigo since this original release over three years ago.

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 am
jfeger offline

I've been playing with the RFM69's and they work AMAZINGLY well. Well worth the increase in price per unit. In fact, I have gone to pre-built boards from Talk2 (WhisperNode) because they have the radio's setup and powered properly.

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 pm
steinis offline

jfeger wrote:
Aside from that, I have been working with the code to bring the MySensors plugin up to speed to support the MySensors 2.0 library. Fortunately, the Api hasn't changed much at all, so this is really more of a massaging effort of the code Marcel Trapman already contributed. Additionally, I am tweaking some of the logging, as the new API generates more "noise" in the log.

where in the plugin code did you remove the status update "Noise" to log. Its driving me crazy:P

Posted on
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm
jfeger offline

If you look in the plugin.py code, there are comments related to logging. Just kill those.

Posted on
Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:00 am
rom1011 offline

jfeger wrote:
Aside from that, I have been working with the code to bring the MySensors plugin up to speed to support the MySensors 2.0 library.

Any luck in getting support for MySensor 2.0 into the Indigo plugin?

Thanks
-Roland

Posted on
Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm
jfeger offline

Absolutely none. I haven't touched it due to time constraints. I will need to get it going sooner than later, so its not dead, just delayed

Page 1 of 1