[ANSWERED]Can't define trigger in Indigo from Vera Scene

Posted on
Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:07 am
dliccardo offline

[ANSWERED]Can't define trigger in Indigo from Vera Scene

I have a vera2 running UI5 and Indigo 6 with the Aeon Z-stick S2.

I want to be able to trigger a script in Indigo when a scene is triggered in Vera.

Why?

Because I have a Enerwave SC-7 scene controller paired with Vera. (I wish it would pair correctly with Indigo :( Why doesn't this work? )

I have a scene setup for each button on the Enerwave scene controller that functions correctly in vera and I'd like to trigger Indigo functionality with it....

I see no way to setup an Indigo trigger that will fire as the result of a scene being triggered in Vera. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't define trigger in Indigo from Vera Scene

The bridge only supports running a scene. I'm not sure if it's even possible with their API to know when a scene has been executed on their side other than seeing devices in the scene change state.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:42 pm
dliccardo offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Can't define trigger in Indigo from Vera Scene

> "I'm not sure if it's even possible with their API"

Can you point me to their API then, so I can check for myself?

...this is a serious limitation of Vera bridge (or the Vera API), which is a critical part of any z-wave system for your customers given that Indigo does not support door locks, scene controllers, etc.

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:11 am
RogueProeliator offline

Can you point me to their API then, so I can check for myself?

http://bit.ly/1M1arey

I doubt that Vera has anything on their end that can trigger when something in Indigo changes either, so perhaps you should think in the other direction and have the source "push" the information out. Couldn't Vera trigger (in some way, I don't know the system) a call to Indigo? With Indigo's RESTful features you may be able to have it react to the scene with a standard trigger.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:46 am
dliccardo offline

@Adam, re-read the thread carefully, this is exactly what I want to do:

>"Couldn't Vera trigger (in some way, I don't know the system) a call to Indigo? With Indigo's RESTful features you may be able to have it react to the scene with a standard trigger."

Regarding your "let me google that for you" link. You miss the point. I know how to use Google. The point of the question is to be perfectly explicit when discussing an API, so that we can have a meaningful conversation about the technology. Which API?

So, now that I still don't know which API Jay is referring too, lets just assume its this set of HTTP requests that Vera will respond to:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests

@Jay: How does VeraBridge trigger on device state changes for devices that are part of a Vera system? Are you just polling using something like
http://<ip address>:3480/data_request?id=sdata&output_format=xml?
Or is there some true event based mechanism that you are using?

If you are just polling, how often?

One way you could allow some ability to define an indigo trigger from Vera is by supporting Vera's Virtual Switch plug-in as a devine. For example, from the http request above, my vera with a virtual switch defined, returns:
<device name="VirtualSwitch" altid="" id="58" category="0" subcategory="-1" room="0" parent="0" text1="VIRTUAL" text2="SWITCH" status="1"/>

If you supported a device state change for this device (it doesn't show up as a device in Indigo), then I could have scenes in vera change that device state to trigger a scene in Indigo...

It seems to me that if you want your customers to be able to use Indigo as the true central intelligent of their z-wave based home automation setups, then you will have to either: (1) increase support for z-wave devices like door locks, scene controllers, etc. or (2) somehow find a way to fire indigo triggers from vera.... (so that all the devices that I must pair with vera because they are not supported in Indigo can trigger scripts/scenes/etc in Indigo).

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

dliccardo wrote:
It seems to me that if you want your customers to be able to use Indigo as the true central intelligent of their z-wave based home automation setups, then you will have to either: (1) increase support for z-wave devices like door locks, scene controllers, etc. or (2) somehow find a way to fire indigo triggers from vera.... (so that all the devices that I must pair with vera because they are not supported in Indigo can trigger scripts/scenes/etc in Indigo).

We want to do #1. But right now, as we've stated on other threads, we have higher priority features we are working on. I understand you want these features now or yesterday, but that isn't going to be possible. If that means Indigo isn't the correct solution for you now, then contact us.

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are 2 reasons for this plugin, as listed at the very top of the plugin documentation:

1. It's currently the only supported way to control Z-Wave Locks from Indigo
  2. It's helpful for anyone who is transitioning from the Vera to Indigo

Our primary focus in Z-Wave support is to natively support Z-Wave devices rather than force the user to use two different UIs to manage their Z-Wave network. We aren't quite there, but we continue to make progress. Putting more engineering efforts into a workaround rather than focusing on native support is not something we're willing to do.

If someone wants to write a more fully featured plugin for the Vera then they’re certainly welcome to, but we have no plans to expand this plugin with any new functionality.

If the Vera can catch these events, then you can attempt to use our RESTful API to execute actions from a Vera script. Don't know if it's scripting language can do HTTP digest authentication on HTTP GET calls, but if so that that's one way to handle it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:24 pm
RogueProeliator offline

@Adam, re-read the thread carefully, this is exactly what I want to do:
>"Couldn't Vera trigger (in some way, I don't know the system) a call to Indigo? With Indigo's RESTful features you may be able to have it react to the scene with a standard trigger."

I think you are mis-understanding me on that point, actually (not being facetious here, I probably did not explain clearly) -- what I mean is that you seem to be looking for Indigo's Vera Plugin to be the initiator and that clearly is not available or in the works... BUT, perhaps you can use Vera to actually initiate the change in Indigo. That is why I mention the RESTful feature (which Jay also mentioned and linked to) -- if Vera can script or use one of their notification or integration plugins in some manner to execute a web page request, you should be good to go -- just make the call to update Indigo that the scene executed and have Indigo trigger off the change to take action.

The link was in jest, the rest (including this followup) are real suggestions.

Adam

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:23 pm
dliccardo offline

Vera can send http requests from a lua script as part of Vera's scene trigger system. And I can execute an indigo action group from the Restful API.

With indigo authentication turned off, I can successfully execute an Indigo action group by sending this from a lua script in Vera:

http://<ip>:8176/actions/<sceneName>?_method=execute

So, now the question is : How do I authenticate myself programmatically with indigo's Restful API?

i tried this curl command from Vera and it didn't work:

curl -X PUT --digest -u username:password -d isOn=1 "http://10.0.1.2:8176/actions/inWallSceneButton1?_method=execute"

I don't see any output in the Indigo event log, so not sure what the problem is. If i change the username to be wrong, then I do see an "access denied" entry in the Indigo event log.

So, I think the authentication is working, but why is Indigo not executing the action group?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:22 pm
dliccardo offline

okay, got it working with:

os.execute('curl -X EXECUTE --digest -u username:password -d isOn=1 "http://10.0.1.2:8176/actions/inWallSceneButton1"')

Posted on
Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great, thanks for posting the working solution.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1