[ANSWERED]: UI7 changes - no Vera bridging available?

Posted on
Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:02 am
shapa offline

[ANSWERED]: UI7 changes - no Vera bridging available?

I've got two vera3 controllers to control z-wave locks - US and EU versions.

In UI5 they supported bridging (UPNP) and it was really simple to manage them as a single controller via VeraBridge plugin (but it was not very reliable to be honest Vera UPNP never was very reliable).

Now It seems to be depricated.

Is it possible to ask to support more than one Vera in the Vera Bridge plugin? Or (in case it's too complicated) to explain how to "duplicate" the plugin to manage a second vera?

Posted on
Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: UI7 changes - no Vera bridging available?

Try duplicating the plugin bundle, then right (or CONTROL) click on the duplicate and choose Show Package Contents menu item. From there open the Contents/Info.plist file inside a test editor (not Pages), like TextWrangler (free) and change the <string> values for these two entries like this (note the added '2'):

Code: Select all
   <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
   <string>Vera Bridge2</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.vera2</string>

Then double-click the plugin to have Indigo load it. Not 100% positive that will work, but seems likely...

Posted on
Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: UI7 changes - no Vera bridging available?

I guess that means the plugin is still working with UI7 - I was a bit worried that it might break given all the other heartburn I've read about it. I haven't upgraded mine yet so I haven't tested it. I only use it for locks.

Natively adding support for multiple Vera's is not something we'll likely do given the really low demand - but as Matt points out you can dup the plugin and change the ID and that should work (hopefully).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 am
shapa offline

Jay,

The plugin is still working with the UI7 - API is not changed too much. In fact most of UI5 plugins works with UI7...

It is not a problem in case of manual plugin duplication - I completely understand that the demand is ultra-low :)
Last edited by shapa on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 am
shapa offline

Matt,

Thank you, I'll try that.

Posted on
Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:09 pm
shapa offline

Looks like they restored bridging functionality

VUI-1512

New Feature
"Secure Vera" option missing from "Unit Settings" (VUI-328)
Add a confirmation message when changing username and/or password for IP cameras VUI-1221
Add option to set user location - also needed for sunset/sunrise(VUI-544)
Bridge multiple units VUI-1512

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:24 pm
cjp767 offline

I just updated the firmware in my Vera Lite devices to 1.7.439.

The Vera bridging function works well--- I have three Vera Lites in separate buildings. My Main Vera Lite controls two others (Studio Vera and Garage Vera).

Indigo's Vera Bridge Plugin also works perfectly. The Main Vera's devices (locks) worked immediately after I updated the firmware, but I had to do an Indigo resync for the devices that are controlled by the secondary Vera Lite controllers (Studio Vera and Garage Vera). As a note, I use my Main Vera Lite to control locks (only) in the house. The Studio Vera and Garage Vera control both locks and lights in their respective buildings-- they are out of range for the main Aeon Labs Z-stick and its Z-wave network. Controlling basic on/off devices and locks via Indigo's Vera Bridge Plugin is perfect in all buildings with the new firmware. I don't do anything fancy in the other buildings-- just turn stuff on and off.

The new Vera Dashboard is, umm, new. YET still as confusing an unintuitive as the previous version. Possibly more confusing. Luckily I don't really have to use the interface often since Indigo takes care of it. I am hoping the Vera's response time and reporting time to Indigo might improve with the new Vera firmware. I haven't really checked the timing yet, but at least everything works. If I notice any radical changes, I'll report back. So far so good.

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to write that up. And, from our perspective, it's nice to know that our competitors still can't match our usability... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:06 pm
cjp767 offline

Here's an odd situation--- I have been using the Vera Bridge plugin forever and everything works fine--- Until yesterday when I added an additional item to the Vera. It shows up in the Vera software (for me, the Vera lives at 10.0.1.2). The Indigo Vera Bridge finds all my old items on the Vera, but not my newly added one--- I selected New... then Create New Device, types Vera Bridge. Then the Synchronize Vera Device window opens but there is nothing in the Vera Device list (and yes, I refreshed). I also reloaded the Vera Bridge plugin (1.0.8)

When adding the new item to the Vera with the UI7 software, I was not able to add it the way I added all my old devices (unplug the Vera and start it with the battery, etc.). To make it work, i had to add it using the UI7 software "add device" procedure. Could that be an issue?

I also I stopped the Indigo server and restarted it again. Then, I restarted the Vera.

Have I overlooked something? Usually these hiccups turn out to be my fault. I am running a recent version of the Vera firmware (UI7) , but not the latest. I'd appreciate any guidance-- Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

What kind of device is it? The Vera Bridge plugin only supports a limited number of device types.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 pm
cjp767 offline

My new device is a Door Sensor (Aeon Labs DSB29). I know the communication between the device and Indigo can be slow, so it probably isn't good to trigger via Indigo, but I wanted to see how timely the updates showed up in Indigo. The Door Sensor isn't key to anything in Indigo, really. Just tracking. I bet the door sensor isn't supported, and that's OK!

I trigger a light (I forget which switch) to come on in the separate building (all on the Vera) when the door opens. The door sensor and switch are both attached to the Vera. I also have the light switch listed in Indigo (via the Vera Bridge plugin) and it works perfectly.

And I'll repeat-- the Vera firmware is horrible to use. Horrible. I almost gave up-- and triggering a light to come on should be a simple task! Thank you for your help, as always.

Posted on
Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sensor devices aren't supported through the bridge.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1