reflector can't connect on new NBN internet connection

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:25 pm
freshwuzhere offline

Soooo after upgrading to MacOSX12.3, downgrading back to 12.2 and establishing a new connection to a thing called NBN in Australia everything works great EXCEPT the reflector - which used to work perfectly on ADSL.

Message says

Error reflector connection test failed: Reflector connection is currently down.
Warning reflector reconnection scheduled in 15 minutes

every 15 minutes,

Resent manually and normally about 10 times - turned off Mac firewall, router firewall, Internet provider firewall and any other firewalls I could find. Still nothing.........

Be great if this could work as this project has now racked up about 10 hours :-(

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:12 am
mclass offline

Hi!

I suspect the issue may be that your NBN service may not have a public IP address. I recently changed providers {to Aussie Broadband} and experienced a similar issue.

To preserve public IP4 addresses, they use as default “Carrier Grade NAT” where effectively you end up with one of their “private” IP addresses. Aussie Broadband will allow you to opt out of CGNAT at no cost on request and have proved to be an excellent provider. If your new provider doesn’t allow you to opt out, you could obtain a fixed IP address - probably at additional cost, or change providers!!

As an observation it seems you have made multiple changes at the one time. I have always, where possible made incremental change which makes troubleshooting a little less complex!! I also delay upgrades (of anything) for a period of time to let others discover any pitfalls. Years of home automation has taught me “if it works don’t fix it”!!!

Let’s know how you go.

mclass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:52 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: reflector can't connect on new NBN internet connection

The reflector doesn't need a public IP address. It's specifically designed for these cases. But I don't know what the possible causes of the OP's issue. I expect Jay or Matt can look at the reflector server logs and get some idea there.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:46 am
jltnol offline

I don't use the Reflector, but have a general idea of how it should work, and am wondering if you need to add some kind of port forwarding on your router to get the incoming traffic to the internal IP address that your Indigo Server is using...

Posted on
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:56 am
FlyingDiver offline

jltnol wrote:
I don't use the Reflector, but have a general idea of how it should work, and am wondering if you need to add some kind of port forwarding on your router to get the incoming traffic to the internal IP address that your Indigo Server is using...
No port forwarding is needed. The Indigo server opens a connection to the reflector server and all traffic in both directions uses that connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Joe is correct that you don't need port forwarding or a static/public IP address for the reflector to work.

Occasionally we have run into an ISP that blocks the outgoing port Indigo is trying to connect to (they really shouldn't do that, but a couple have). To see if that is the cause of the problem open the Start Local Server dialog (via the Indigo menu), and try changing the Outgoing reflector port selection from Default to Alternative 1, 2, etc. to see if any of them work.

The other possibility would be if our reflector server is blocking your IP address. If that is the case you wouldn't be able to access demo indigodomo.net at all from your Indigo Server Mac.

Page 1 of 1