Connecting to reflector using Mac client?

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:58 pm
sparker offline

Connecting to reflector using Mac client?

I cannot seem to connect a client on my MacBook Pro to my server running on my home control Mini. I just upgraded to 2021.1.2, but this has been a problem for quite a while in older releases.

I can connect to the https://<my>.indigodomo.net/ reflector from my phone and my iPad (in both http, and https mode), as well as just the Web URL via browser, but cannot connect from my MacBook client (same version). I'm trying to figure out if this is a design issue (raw clients are no longer supported), or if I have something wrong.

I've also tried connecting to the actual IP of my server when both are on the same network and still get the same result.

I've gotta be missing something simple. Any suggestions on where to start looking. It's got to be something on the MacBook client side, since both the web interface and the phone/iPad work when connecting do the reflector.

TIA for any advice!

Steve

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Connecting to reflector using Mac client?

The Mac Client uses a different API and port than Indigo Touch, so you can’t use the reflector with the Mac Client.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:20 pm
sparker offline

jay (support) wrote:
The Mac Client uses a different API and port than Indigo Touch, so you can’t use the reflector with the Mac Client.

So... that seems to imply there's no way to use the client on my MacBook from remote. Correct? I do have a workaround (thought Teamviewer) to run the client to edit/change my settings.

Thanks!

Steve

--
Steve Parker

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:22 pm
DaveL17 offline

sparker wrote:
So... that seems to imply there's no way to use the client on my MacBook from remote. Correct?

It's possible, but my understanding is that it requires you to be logged into your local network in order to do it. I have a VPN set up on my network and--when I'm logged in remotely via the VPN--I can access my Indigo server with the Indigo client app.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:43 am
jalves offline

While this may not help, I'd note that if you have an M1 Mac you can load the Indigo Touch app on your computer. It runs just fine although I've not tried it while not on my home network.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:57 am
sparker offline

Thanks all for the replies. I'll just use TeamViewer to connect to my headless Mac Mini at home when I need to make changes from the road.

I appreciate this entire community for consistently pushing the boundaries of Home Automation. I started with X-10 way back in the 80's and still having fun playing with what's possible today!

Steve

--
Steve Parker

Posted on
Sat May 06, 2023 8:19 am
jaknudsen offline

sparker wrote:
So... that seems to imply there's no way to use the client on my MacBook from remote. Correct?

I use free dynamic DNS from https://www.noip.com/remote-access to access the Indigo server on my Mac mini at home using my MacBook. Just found out now that the reflector service doesn't support remote access for the Mac Client, hope support for this is in the works.

Posted on
Sat May 06, 2023 10:34 am
siclark offline

Try using a vpn and Splashtop to remote connect to your Mac server, can even then do it from an iPhone or iPad remotely.

Splashtop is free if you are on same network, which you will be if using a vpn. You can just Remote Desktop but I find Splashtop a bit more reliable to connect.

Page 1 of 1