Reflector newbie looking for advice. Indigo 7.5 going 2021.

Posted on
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:28 pm
hwitten offline

Reflector newbie looking for advice. Indigo 7.5 going 2021.

Before going with Reflector I was going straight to my IP, with firewall, port forwarding etc.

I'm hoping to use Alexa once upgraded to 2021.x.x. I've been reading/researching before jumping off the cliff and found that the Reflector is needed to make Alexa work. Unless I've read it all wrong of course.

Reflector traffic may be a concern, but since I don't do much, if any, image transfers it may be a non issue. The only thing I'm using/concerned about, however slightly, is a control page for my DSC Alarm Panel. First outing was today and I noticed Indigo Touch went on pause after a brief time. I assume that's normal so as to keep traffic within reason.

Finally my question :)
If I leave my direct access up as well as WiFi and Reflector do I have to do some manual switching in Indigo Touch when I leave my LAN/WiFi?
To put it another way, what is the best configuration to use my Public IP when away from home yet WiFi and Alexa when at home.

Hopefully I'm just overthinking :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Reflector newbie looking for advice. Indigo 7.5 going 20

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what will happen. I believe you can have port forwarding and a reflector running at the same time, though I've never tried it myself.

Since Indigo Touch doesn't know how to automatically switch between a local bonjour connection and a port-forwarding solution, you're now either manually switching when you change networks or you are just using the port forwarding all the time. If it's the latter, then I don't think that enabling a reflector will cause any issues (assuming that it works with both active). However, I believe that any bonjour connection created while on your local network will automatically pick up the reflector and start using that for automatic switching.

Bottom line: you're going to have to just try it and see since we haven't tested that scenario (and to be perfectly honest it's not a supported scenario since doing the work to configure direct access from the Internet is such a site specific thing - it's why we created reflectors in the first place).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:21 am
hwitten offline

Thanks Jay. I'll play around some and report back. Low on the priority list though.
I just don't want to abuse the Reflector bandwidth. Is there any kind of gentle nudge should that happen?

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

hwitten wrote:
I just don't want to abuse the Reflector bandwidth. Is there any kind of gentle nudge should that happen?

No worries – we'll send you an email if there is a problem.

Posted on
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:30 pm
hwitten offline

Been running 2021.x for a few days now. Indigo Touch is set for my public IP/firewall that forwards to Indigo Server on M1 Mini. Set same wether at home or out and about. Alexa works great at home.
Happy camper here.

Posted on
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Great, thanks for the follow-up report.

Page 1 of 1