reflector connection test failed

Posted on
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:19 pm
dkillmer offline

reflector connection test failed

I am getting the following error in the event log, but everything seems to be working fine and I can access my server remotely. I tried manually resetting the reflector activation but that did not help. Any thoughts?

reflector connection test failed: [Errno 50] Network is down
reflector reconnection scheduled in 15 minutes

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: reflector connection test failed

15 minutes later in the log does it show if Indigo was able to re-create the reflector? I'm assuming so or you wouldn't be able to connect remotely.

How often do you see the error? And does a Mac restart help?

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:13 pm
dkillmer offline

It is logging the same error message every 15 minutes and a Mac restart did not help. I am using a cell Internet provider with double natting and it might not like that. The errors started about 5 months ago and the network and ISP have not changed. We are planning to change ISPs in the next few months and maybe that will help.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting. The reflector is working okay though?

Does the cellular ISP disconnect from the network when it isn't being used? The reflector tunnel that Indigo creates requires a continuously open TCP socket, which they may be closing after a few minutes. The Double NAT shouldn't be an issue in itself. The fact that the error shown is Network is Down makes me think it is completely closing the network connection after a few minutes until the next request occurs. I wonder if you created a script that periodically pings a Web site if that will force the connection to stay open. For testing that open the Terminal window and try a command like:

Code: Select all
ping indigodomo.com -i 60

which will ping our Web site once every 60 seconds (just leave the window open). I'm not sure what that might do for your ISP bandwidth charges. You can adjust the frequency by changing the 60 to see if longer delays work too.

Also try selecting Alternate 1 from the Outgoing Reflector Port Selection popup inside the Start Local Server dialog. Some ISPs will completely block the port Indigo is trying to use, but one of the alternatives would work if that is the case.

Posted on
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 pm
dkillmer offline

I tried the ping test and all of the alternate outgoing reflector ports a few hours ago but I still had the error every 15 minutes. However, it looks like it did connect 30 minutes ago without the error. I suspect it could be my ISP because they have been deploying 5G in our area. I will keep an eye on it and thanks again for all the suggestions!

Page 1 of 1