Reflector and Satellite Internet

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 am
johnpolasek offline

Reflector and Satellite Internet

Just an FYI; I've been unable to run the reflector for the past year or so while on Exede (now Viasat) Satellite internet; it started being unable to connect when they activated their newest sat, despite their claims that it would make our access faster. Last week a local ISP made a new tower available and when we signed up with them, the reflector came back.

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Reflector and Satellite Internet

Yes, unfortunately, we've seen this before with some satellite providers. They want to kill persistent network connections much faster than normal ISPs if they think those connections are idle. The irony is that this policy could in fact lead to more unnecessary network traffic as one solution might be to "ping" more often...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's not exposed, and I'm pretty sure that it's not separated out enough to make it an easy hack either.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I have a possible workaround for their problem. One user has tested it and reported success, so I hope to have a fix in the next release.

Posted on
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.2.0 is now available for download and has a new UI option to address this problem. It turns out that Viasat / Exede was blocking Indigo's request to establish the reflector connection, and didn't bother to publicly post that the port we happened to be using was one they were blocking (very much not appreciated).

There is now a new popup menu item in the Start Local Server dialog: try choosing Alternative 1 from the Outgoing reflector port selection control and your reflector should work.

Page 1 of 1