Performance of reflector

Posted on
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 pm
durosity offline

Performance of reflector

Howdy guys,

I know its been discussed in the past regarding the performance (or lack there of) with using reflector outside of the good ol’ U S of A. Back then it wasn’t so much of an issue as it was free.. then it was something we could choose to pay for.. but now it’s rolled up in the cost of up-to-date it’s a little frustrating that it’s so diabolically slow. So long short of it.. when you gonna do something about it? :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 am
howartp offline

Re: Performance of reflector

Roussell is going to ship you his spare DL380 server to install in your loft to run the EU mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 am
kwijibo007 offline

+1 Downunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 am
durosity offline

[quote="howartp"]Roussell is going to ship you his spare DL380 server to install in your loft to run the EU mirror./quote]

DL380? Pft.. we don’t need anything that fancy.. an old ZX-81 will be faster than what we’ve got right now :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:54 am
roussell offline

howartp wrote:
Roussell is going to ship you his spare DL380 server to install in your loft to run the EU mirror.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish one of them were that small, I might be able to use them then. They're both DL980's I am using a DL580 daily though... I'd be happy to donate one of the 980s to the guys to support the overseas Indigo-war-effort , but shipping a 300+ pound server across the pond is probably cost prohibitive. :shock:

I wonder if the reflector software runs on Linux, or if the guys have Minis sitting in a Colo doing the reflector work? Seems like a good service for the "cloud".

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am
durosity offline

Don’t worry about the weight, I’m sure Larry.. I mean @RogueProeliator can just take it on the corporate jet when he comes over. I’m more concerned about my house taking the weight.. new build houses over here are made out of spit and a prayer (and as a hardcore anti-theist that basically means to me just spit :) ) so I severely doubt the IndigoDomo European Data Centre (A.K.A. my loft) could handle it.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am
roussell offline

But with 8 high-current power supplies in each one you wouldn't have to worry about heating your home this winter!! Plus you'd have some leftover horsepower to get the Jay Martin fan page running again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
So long short of it.. when you gonna do something about it? :)

Uh, yeah. That's not going to be easy. Or fast unfortunately. We do have it on the list to address, but it's not going to happen quickly.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 am
RogueProeliator offline

Umm, I think he offered that to me already! Unfortunately, I don't want to take out a home equity line of credit in order to pay for the power usage. Too bad I'm not solar... actually, what I need is a way to generate electricity from rain.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:40 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Umm, I think he offered that to me already! Unfortunately, I don't want to take out a home equity line of credit in order to pay for the power usage. Too bad I'm not solar... actually, what I need is a way to generate electricity from rain.

Heh, don't worry, there's two of them. Maybe we could build a reflector out of an Amazon Fire cluster and stick that in Durosity's loft!!

Even though it never would pay for itself in Alabama with all of that tasty coal-powered electricity, I REALLY want solar for our next house.

Terry

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:22 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
durosity wrote:
So long short of it.. when you gonna do something about it? :)

Uh, yeah. That's not going to be easy. Or fast unfortunately. We do have it on the list to address, but it's not going to happen quickly.

I think you need one of these fancy servers just to maintain that long long list ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 am
durosity offline

roussell wrote:
RogueProeliator wrote:
Even though it never would pay for itself in Alabama with all of that tasty coal-powered electricity, I REALLY want solar for our next house.

My house has solar panels for heating water due to govt requirements for a house of its size.. despite the fact they’re completely useless due to two honkin big trees in my back garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1