[ANSWERED]: Remote access over port 8176, secure?

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 am
Frakke offline

[ANSWERED]: Remote access over port 8176, secure?

Hi all,

Is the remote access over port 8176 secure?
Or can "hackers" just read the username and password from the traffic?

Thanks!

Regards

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2016 8:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Remote access over port 8176, secure?

The default authentication is a "digest" authentication which means that your username and password is NOT sent over the wire in a readable state, even if someone were watching the traffic. However, remote access directly to your server (not using the Reflector service) is also NOT secure in that all traffic can be monitored and potentially changed by a hacker even without your credentials. In other words, if a hacker were watching at a coffee shop he might be able to monkey with your system while you are there, but wouldn't have username/password to login later after you left. I guess it depends, then, on if you consider that secure "enough." Access using the Reflector is over a secure channel making it much harder (never say impossible!) for a hacker to view and/or change the communication.

Adam

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 pm
Frakke offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

The default authentication is a "digest" authentication which means that your username and password is NOT sent over the wire in a readable state, even if someone were watching the traffic. However, remote access directly to your server (not using the Reflector service) is also NOT secure in that all traffic can be monitored and potentially changed by a hacker even without your credentials. In other words, if a hacker were watching at a coffee shop he might be able to monkey with your system while you are there, but wouldn't have username/password to login later after you left. I guess it depends, then, on if you consider that secure "enough." Access using the Reflector is over a secure channel making it much harder (never say impossible!) for a hacker to view and/or change the communication.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your answer :)
But is it possible that if you use the Reflector service, the traffic between my phone and the Reflector service are more encrypted, but the traffic between the Reflector service and my server, are just the same way as I connect to the server directly?

I'm also trying to find another way around the Reflector service, because when I use it, it's got a little delay..

Regards!

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 12:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When using the reflector service the data from your Mac and our hosted reflector server, as well as the from the hosted server to your phone, are both encrypted.

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 12:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [ANSWERED]: Remote access over port 8176, secure?

If you want a secure direct connection without a reflector, then the approach to take is to enable Web sharing on your Mac (Apache), tweak it to support HTTPS (create a self-signed cert), then create a reverse proxy in Apache to serve up Indigo's Web server (port 8176). A bit involved, but it is possible. Searching on the forum for "reverse proxy" and "apache" would be a good place to start. You'll also have to setup your router for port forwarding (to apache for HTTPS) and a dynamic IP address service, like DynDNS., presuming you don't have a static IP address.

Posted on
Sun May 15, 2016 1:00 pm
Frakke offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: Remote access over port 8176, secure?

matt (support) wrote:
If you want a secure direct connection without a reflector, then the approach to take is to enable Web sharing on your Mac (Apache), tweak it to support HTTPS (create a self-signed cert), then create a reverse proxy in Apache to serve up Indigo's Web server (port 8176). A bit involved, but it is possible. Searching on the forum for "reverse proxy" and "apache" would be a good place to start. You'll also have to setup your router for port forwarding (to apache for HTTPS) and a dynamic IP address service, like DynDNS., presuming you don't have a static IP address.

Okay, just set up the reverse proxy on my Windows machine. Works perfectly. I'm gonna use it this way. So I don't have a slight delay from goprism.

Regards

Page 1 of 1