client cannot connect on local network due to reflector down

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2023 6:46 am
mike_c offline

client cannot connect on local network due to reflector down

I have recently upgraded to 2022.2. As I use APIs, I needed to get a token and enable the connection to the reflector service. (I have run indigo without the reflector service for years).

I am intermittently seeing a message on the iphone client that "The reflector connection between your Indigo Server and Indigodomo.net is not currently up. Check your mac network connectivity and try restarting the Indigo Server."

I connect to my indigoServer via static IP (via dhcp reservation) and, when outside of my network,I VPN in. I am therefore surprised that a client would not be able to connect due to apparent connection to the reflector.

Is anyone else experiencing this ?
Is this expected?

My expectation is that will be a transitional problem, as I see in another thread that the new API functionality will work without internet / reflector connectivity.

Thanks all for reading and any thoughts.
Attachments
IMG_2523.png
IMG_2523.png (442.78 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2023 11:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: client cannot connect on local network due to reflector

When you add an Indigo Server in Indigo Touch, it asks Indigo for reflector information. Then, IT will automatically switch between the local network (when the iOS device is on the same network as the Indigo Server) and the reflector (when the iOS device isn't on the same network, usually because you're on the cell network),

If IT tries to connect to the reflector while off the local network and the reflector isn't reachable, then you get the error you're seeing.

I don't know/fully understand your network configuration, but that is how the IT connection flow works. You probably want to check on your Indigo Server to see if it is reporting the reflector as being down and solve that issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:43 pm
mike_c offline

Thanks for the reply. some follow up information and questions.

I only ever use IP addresses for my Indigo config. When I added the Indigo Server into Indigo Touch (years ago), I added it by the IP address; I did NOT use the reflector name. I never have.

The details I shared about my network were to support the fact that my Indigo Server is always available to IT via its static IP. This is true whether I am on my local network or on cell network. The point about connecting via VPN is a mute point anyway as these error messages are also observed when on my local network.

So, why do I see these errors (not all the time) when I am my local network and have the IT to Indigo Server configuration by IP ?

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:21 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Is it possible that you might be occasionally connecting to a guest network on your Wifi instead of the main network?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mike_c wrote:
So, why do I see these errors (not all the time) when I am my local network and have the IT to Indigo Server configuration by IP ?

Your forum email and username don't match any Indigo Account - email me your Indigo Account username or email address so I can do a little more digging.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:10 am
mike_c offline

guest wifi point (2 posts up):
good suggestion ... i have ruled out the other wifi networks near me so i am definitely on the main one / same one as Indigo Server (as you hint, i do run other networks e.g. guest)

account and access (1 post up):
will send details now.

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I checked out your Indigo Account, and you have an active reflector. I also notice from your image above that you have two connections (besides the demo) behind that error dialog. I suspect that the connection you have selected is the one created automatically (not the manually added one you expect) which would automatically attempt to validate the reflector whenever Indigo Touch is using that connection, and it's showing that dialog because your server can't (for some reason) talk to the reflector server.

Make sure you delete any connections that aren't the one that you manually entered using the IP address. After doing this, let us know if it continues.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:46 pm
mike_c offline

I believe I have now isolated the issue.

I have a control page that has 4 refreshing image urls. I have recently taken one of these (related services) offline and as a result one of the images is not retrievable. The indigo log spits out “failed to load a refreshing image on page ‘<page name>’ due to an unexpected request error to: <url>

The scenario:
I’m on my local network on indigo touch. I navigate through various control pages - all is good. I then navigate to the page with the unretrievable url image - boom, I get the critical error in my original post. I have validated this by duplicating the offending control page and removing the “broken url” from the original. Now - when I navigate to the original (without missing url image), all is good. When I navigate to the duplicate (with missing url image), error.

I can therefore now work around this but believe this should be fixed as the error a) does not relate to the problem b) the effect is to be ejected from the indigo server completely.

Trust my diagnosis above makes sense. Additional information available on request.

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 pm
EricMcM offline

I am seeing the same thing, and this is new behavior with 2022.2 for me as well. I do not have the reflector enabled. I also have an error with updating a refreshing URL in the log when the error about the reflector connection comes up on the touch client. I recall seeing log messages like this before (I'm assuming when the computer serving up the refreshing images gets a bit slow), but that didn't cause the touch client to give up before.

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:34 am
EricMcM offline

Has anyone found a workaround for this? Any plans to address this bug in the next update? This has effectively broken my iPad client since my main page won't stay up for long (sometimes seconds).

Posted on
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Eric,

Yes, we will definitely have this fixed in the next feature or bug-fix release of Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:16 am
EricMcM offline

Thanks Matt! appreciate it

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The problem described above by mike_c should now be fixed in the recent Indigo 2023.1.0 release.

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:28 pm
mike_c offline

Looking forward to trying this latest update (it will be at the weekend for me now as travelling for work presently).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1