Thought I might share my control page for my iPhone 4. I created a floor plan in photoshop to be the exact width of the iPhone 4 screen. It needed to be scrollable to comfortably fit all 3 floors in. It was designed to be as simple as possible (and wife friendly!). I found the simple floor plan much better than any 3D view that I experimented with.
- The weather link at the top takes you to a dedicated page with a 6 day forecast, pulled from a weather underground xml feed. I have nice weather icons refresh that I found online.
- I created custom buttons and graphics to create an engaging visual design. Sorry indigo - didn't like your light icons...
- I keep the amount of scenes to two for each floor, making things very simple. The scene buttons live under each floor as do the thermostat controls, visually linking activities to place.
- There is a 'master' light switch at each floor to switch all on or all off - needed some applescript gymnastics with help from Jay (thanks!) to get those working properly.
- Hitting the temperature brings up the thermostat controls.
Still a work in progress. I want to add further links to control the 'House Mode', create an iPad version, integrate the house music system, sprinklers and alarm. It would be great to be able to pull a video camera feed in as well, but I don't believe I can do that yet. Oh and I'd like to be able to monitor my solar panel performance too.
Loving the custom control page functionality, and simple applescript extensions. Hungry for more. (e.g. adding my own tab bar, better display of long variables like a multi-line weather forecast, cut and paste between control pages, aligning tools, better font control, customized layouts for different orientation etc.).
I am an interaction designer for a living so hence the care with the design. Has become the most useful app I have. I have come to use only the control pages, and my wife actually uses it all the time (although she doesn't like me controlling the lights when I am at work...) It looks great on the hi-res retina display.