Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm
landry offline
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2017

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Thanks for responses on sbc3 compatability..Nice job berkiner!!! Setting up the devices was a breeze!! I was expecting to have to do a group action and take all the input states and insert into variables. I'' ll be doing that for third party devices so I can do some math on the raw values ( 0-5 or 0-1024)

There is one bug ( easy work around). Indigo client cannot create devices on indigo server. there is no scroll for selecting device type, IO port and decimal. And you can't re edit s indigo server created devices with the indigo client...the phidget devices go off line. I notice the edited devices with indigo client have different device type lists.
i may have created this problem since the indigo server has phidge21 and the client indigo has phidget22 installed.

regarding the sbc3 status ,, it is running Phidget 22 however the web server is labeled phidget21 web server using port 5001. I am waiting for brian to clarify what is running on 5001. I have looked all through the files and see no phidget21.

Posted on
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:07 pm
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
...i may have created this problem since the indigo server has phidge21 and the client indigo has phidget22 installed.

regarding the sbc3 status ,, it is running Phidget 22 however the web server is labeled phidget21 web server using port 5001. I am waiting for brian to clarify what is running on 5001. I have looked all through the files and see no phidget21.

I have posted a question on the Phidgets forums about running the 2.1 and 2.2 libs at the same time on the SBC. I am assuming it won't work or will cause problems. But, I really don't know.

Posted on
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 am
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

I wrote:
...I have posted a question on the Phidgets forums about running the 2.1 and 2.2 libs at the same time on the SBC. I am assuming it won't work or will cause problems. But, I really don't know.

Well, based on Patrick's response to my Phidgets Forum post, you CAN load both the 2.1 and 2.2 libs on the SBC and, presumably, on MacOS as well.

Posted on
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:24 am
landry offline
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2017

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

regarding sbc3 and libraries:

Brian replied and stated webserver would not run if phidget 21 libraries are not installed

Posted on
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 am
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
regarding sbc3 and libraries: Brian replied and stated webserver would not run if phidget 21 libraries are not installed

That makes sense. The Phidget web service is not a web server (as in http) at all. It is the server end of their proprietary IP protocol to talk between a machine which has directly connected Phidgets and a remote client. I have not looked that deeply into the 2.2 libs, but I did notice they are using a different means for the client/server connection: the Phidget Network Server.

Posted on
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 pm
landry offline
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2017

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Thanks for the clarification berlinet, and to add further the bc3s runs the two libraries on different ports for client server communications , the phidget22 network server is 5661 and the phidget21 web service is 5001, so both libraries are installed with no conflicts.


To further clarify the bug i reported, It specifically refers to the indigo server and indigo client applications when creating phidget devices and not sbc and indigo server client services.

Again phidget devices cannot be created by the indigo client.
So I suggest all phidget device creation be done with indigo server only. All scripts, schedules , triggers, control pages, and action groups linked to the phidget devices can be done by either indigo client or indigo server.
Again i may have created this problem by installing phidget21 on indigo server and phidget 22 on indigo client.

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:42 am
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
...To further clarify the bug i reported, It specifically refers to the indigo server and indigo client applications when creating phidget devices and not sbc and indigo server client services.

Again phidget devices cannot be created by the indigo client. ...

If this is truly the case, it should be reported to Matt and Jay. Plugin configuration should be identical regardless of whether the Indigo client is local or remote.

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 13269
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Sorry, can someone describe more fully what the issue is?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 am
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

jay (support) wrote:
Sorry, can someone describe more fully what the issue is?

Jay,
landry previously wrote:
There is one bug ( easy work around). Indigo client cannot create devices on indigo server. there is no scroll for selecting device type, IO port and decimal. And you can't re edit s indigo server created devices with the indigo client...the phidget devices go off line. I notice the edited devices with indigo client have different device type lists.
i may have created this problem since the indigo server has phidge21 and the client indigo has phidget22 installed.
I take this to mean he is trying to create an Indigo device with the Phidget plugin, and is using the Indigo client on a different machine than Indigo server. The comment about the Phidget libs should have no impact since nothing should be happening vis-a-vis the Phidget on the client. Perhaps the client/server versions are not the same?

Posted on
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 13269
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

We're going to need to see some screenshots I think (with a more clear description) since I can't grok what's really going on based on that description. That's why I asked for a fuller description...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:23 am
loafbread offline
Posts: 128
Joined: May 25, 2009

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

I sure hope Phidgets continues to support the web service. My house depends on Berkinets phidgets plugin for so much, I would hate to lose it. I suspect it would be a lot of work to rewrite the Phidgets plugin for the network server.

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:48 am
landry offline
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2017

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Sorry Birkinet not getting back to you, problem solved by reinstalling scripts and rebooting both indigo server and indigo client. Been in touch with Matt and Jay , updated them but i dropped th ballers with you. After a steep learning curve for imbedded python , scripts were created with great input fro Matt and Jay . Attached i my control page .
Various triggers were created to text me impending doom which has happened in the past and had several blow out with the solar hot water system.
Attachments
SHWpdf.png
SHWpdf.png (288.94 KiB) Viewed 421 times

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
Sorry Birkinet not getting back to you, problem solved by reinstalling scripts and rebooting both indigo server and indigo client. Been in touch with Matt and Jay , updated them but i dropped th ballers with you. After a steep learning curve for imbedded python , scripts were created with great input fro Matt and Jay . Attached i my control page .
Various triggers were created to text me impending doom which has happened in the past and had several blow out with the solar hot water system.

No problem. I'm glad you got the problems worked out. It looks like you have a pretty nice setup there with out hot water system. Thanks for sharing the control page.

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm
landry offline
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 30, 2017

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Hi Bekinet

Really like the plug in as you can see with the control page i sent. Quick question , it hasn't really doesn't mattered what i get for a value in the analog channel, I just do the math after plotting the values for calibration. Most of my analog inputs are 0-5 volt in. When I chose generic -5 v sensor or generic sensor value i get the same number from 0 to 1000 was for generic sensor value; . Is it suppose to work that way?; .should generic 0 to 5 volt sensor value in in indigo be a voltage value between 0 and 5 volts?

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 2852
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
... Most of my analog inputs are 0-5 volt in. When I chose generic -5 v sensor or generic sensor value i get the same number from 0 to 1000 was for generic sensor value; . Is it suppose to work that way?; .should generic 0 to 5 volt sensor value in in indigo be a voltage value between 0 and 5 volts?

The pseudo type 0999a works as expected, with an output value between 0 and 5 vdc. However, if you change sensor types for an analog input sensor, you must restart the plugin for the change to take effect.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests