Samsung Smart TV detection

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm
Marty offline

Samsung Smart TV detection

Hi folks,

Wondering how I can tell if my SmartTV is on using Indigodomo?

I currently have some timers for the lights in my lounge that turn off at 2300h. However I don't want that to happen if I am watching TV.

Ideally:
  • after 11 I'd run a check every 15 minutes and, if the TV is off, turn the lights off.
  • I know there are other ways to achieve this, but when the TV turns on, the lights dim

From what I understand, to do this the TV would need to be a device in Indigodomo, with a status of off/on (and others would be great, current input, picture settings etc).

I could then use the TV status as a conditional for the lights timer... Is that right?

I've had a search around and haven't seen any posts/addons for this, so am interested if this is just the wrong way of thinking (which is why I haven't seen this solution) or whether its just something that is a good idea, but doesn't exist yet?

Still learning how this all works, so please be kind!

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2015 3:55 pm
roussell offline

Re: Samsung Smart TV detection

The easiest way is probably to just have a script that pings the device's IP address every n minutes and if found/not found perform an appropriate action. Samsung TVs are notorious for shutting down the network interface when you power them off (thus killing the ability to turn them on via IP) so unless something has changed that should prove to be a reliable method.

Terry

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2015 4:32 pm
CraigM offline

I have been doing that scenario for years.

I use an iTach IP2IR with the Cynical Cache plugin to control my AV equipment from an iPad/iPhone.

Create a Variable: TVpower

Create the following two Action Groups:
TV Power ON
- sends IR code to turn TV ON
- sets the Indigo variable TVpower to ON

TV Power OFF
- sends IR code to turn TV OFF
- sets the Indigo variable TVpower to OFF

Now Indigo will always know what state your TV is, based on the variable TVpower

Now in your scheduled action that turns the lights OFF, add a condition
- if Variable>TVpower>is equal to>OFF

The lights will only go OFF if the TV is OFF

I'll let someone else comment on how to have it check every 15 min, since I don't have that need. My guess you could use a timer, a script, or just have multiple schedules run @ 11:00, 11:15, 11:30 etc

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2015 3:16 pm
MarcoGT offline

You can also check the power load of the TV using a meter to determine if it is on or off

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2015 4:39 pm
howartp offline

You need to suggest to RogueProeliator that he needs to make a Samsung plugin :-)

Posted on
Sat May 16, 2015 8:25 pm
RogueProeliator offline

You need to suggest to RogueProeliator that he needs to make a Samsung plugin :-)

LOL, you need to suggest @howartp that he send me a Samsung TV that I can use to develop one and I'll gladly develop one (but keep the TV :-))

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 12:25 am
howartp offline

Hmmmm.... :-p

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 am
durosity offline

I'll send you a Samsung TV... It's about 8 years old and has no smart qualities.. But surely that wouldn't be an issue for a man of your abilities, would it? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 am
howartp offline

Ha!

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 8:06 am
RogueProeliator offline

I'll send you a Samsung TV... It's about 8 years old and has no smart qualities.. But surely that wouldn't be an issue for a man of your abilities, would it?

Not a problem at all (you don't mind iTach & light sensors, right... ?) OH, but you use "funny" television signals over there, so they won't work here. Sorry. :-)

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 8:29 am
durosity offline

Yes.. we have funny tv signals.. all those glorious classic british comedies rather than those lame ass american sitcoms ;)

Just kidding... though i do now have a strong desire to watch some old Red Dwarf :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 am
durosity offline

Just going back on topic for a moment.. wasn't there a Samsung tv script posted here a while ago? I was sure there was but i can't find any trace of it now.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 8:32 am
durosity offline

Oh wait here it is.. http://www.indigodomo.com/library/234/

but it's only for controlling, not for sensing.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 8:51 am
ELWOOD offline

Biggest problem with a plugin for the samsung smart tv may be samsung. Got one of there smart tv's a few months ago and was hopping to use there
app on my iPad. So far have not got it to work and from reading the user comments on the app store very few people have got it to work. Last week
they issued the 5th update in a year. Still does not work. The iPad can see the tv but when pairing the iPad asks for a 4 digit number from the tv, but the
tv never shows the number to enter. This is the same problem everyone has had with the last few updates.

Still would be great to use indigo for control, I will keep hoping.

Elwood

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am
durosity offline

It'd seem samsung's eternal issue is poor implementation. I've had many of their products over the years, but they've all had critical flaws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.