HomeKit->Indigo integration via the new Insteon Hub?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:08 pm
pixelknave offline

HomeKit->Indigo integration via the new Insteon Hub?

I know it's only been 24 hours, but I was pretty intrigued by the new Insteon HomeKit Hub (2243-222):

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2243-222-hub-pro.html

I've read the post re: support (or the reasoned lack thereof) for Insteon Hubs, but you might want to take a look at this one, especially considering that Insteon has finally released its API:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... Developers

Given that the hub supports HomeKit, I'm wondering if there's a chance that this could serve as the HomeKit-to-Indigo hardware bridge that many have been hoping for. Granted, I haven't seen the API, and I have no idea whether the HomeKit mapping is exposed, but it would be pretty awesome if it were.

Thoughts?

-Chris

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:20 pm
akimball offline

Re: HomeKit->Indigo integration via the new Insteon Hub?

I would like to 2nd the interest in the new hub and any integration with homekit which could help us get closer to a "Jarvis" voice command system sometime in the future. I would like to have listening devices in each room of my home or at least be able to speak with "Siri" something like "Hey Siri...... are any doors currently unlocked?" And Siri would forward the command through homekit to Indigo, responding back to me through Siri.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We wrote up a post about it yesterday.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:53 am
drallam offline

The statement is just as non-committal as the updated mobile app has been for four years. Apple's Home kit objective is to make all types of devices be able to integrate together with easy command and control. I don't expect any specifics on this Insteon pre-released product. Having said that It almost seems as if Indigo is becoming legacy if the Homekit strategy is to have customers reach-out to Apple . After 8 years it might finally be time to re-evaluate solutions. It is disappointing, but it might be too late for catching-up. I understand your company started as a hobby. I am rooting for you as I have invested a lot of time and money in multiple houses.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:57 am
DaveL17 offline

drallam wrote:
Having said that It almost seems as if Indigo is becoming legacy if the Homekit strategy is to have customers reach-out to Apple . After 8 years it might finally be time to re-evaluate solutions. It is disappointing, but it might be too late for catching-up. I understand your company started as a hobby. I am rooting for you as I have invested a lot of time and money in multiple houses.

I have to disagree.

If I understand Jay and Matt's post, Indigo cannot be a HomeKit bridge because Apple will not allow software-based controllers to integrate with it. This leaves Indigo with very few options--integrate with other hardware controllers or develop one of their own. Personally, I chose Indigo precisely because it was a software-based controller. I suspect that Apple pays very little attention to one small company calling for a change in policy, but I suspect that many users of many different products would have more of a chance of getting a reaction from Apple on the issue.

Beyond that, if HomeKit takes off, I don't think it will be long before a hardware bridge with a more generic API hits the market which would allow for Indigo integration. I don't see much more that IndigoDomo can do now.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:59 am
durosity offline

drallam wrote:
The statement is just as non-committal as the updated mobile app has been for four years. Apple's Home kit objective is to make all types of devices be able to integrate together with easy command and control. I don't expect any specifics on this Insteon pre-released product. Having said that It almost seems as if Indigo is becoming legacy if the Homekit strategy is to have customers reach-out to Apple . After 8 years it might finally be time to re-evaluate solutions. It is disappointing, but it might be too late for catching-up. I understand your company started as a hobby. I am rooting for you as I have invested a lot of time and money in multiple houses.

Sorry, but these kind of passive aggressive comments just aren't productive. I'm sure you're frustrated that the mobile app hasn't been high priority until recently (as have I.. And my other half bleating on about it too), but simply put I think it's made much more sense in them working on the back end of indigo first (as in Z wave, virtual devices, etc) then thinking about the mobile app. (Of course a little more info on the app help settle people, Matt & Jay.. The natives are getting restless!)

As for catching up.. Really their business is aimed at a different market. Homekit is for simple, zero config (or as close to it as you can get) setups with basic user interaction. Indigo is a whole other kettle of fish, must more configurable and customisable. I fully expect that indigodomo will get more business now as people who start with home kit devices start to branch out to more complex setups.

Of course it never hurts looking at other solutions that are available, but I suspect you'll find them either limiting or too unstable.

(Sorry to chirp in with this but I really hate seeing these kind of posts, they're doing a great job as far as I'm concerned!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm
berkinet offline

What @durosity said,+1

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:56 pm
ckeyes888 offline

As a potential installer of Indigo I see the login issues with Touch as a complete deal breaker and
don't see it as a salable product in it's current state.
I love Indigo and have found work arounds but it is what it is...broken.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:21 am
pvrfan offline

DaveL17 wrote:
...If I understand Jay and Matt's post, Indigo cannot be a HomeKit bridge because Apple will not allow software-based controllers to integrate with it. This leaves Indigo with very few options--integrate with other hardware controllers or develop one of their own. Personally, I chose Indigo precisely because it was a software-based controller. ...

One of the big features of HomeKit that gets little mention is that you are supposed to be able to control your HomeKit accessories, securely, from anywhere you have an internet connection. Each HomeKit accessory and bridge includes an Apple-designed chip that, I believe, enables this secure communication. (I'm not in the Made for iOS hardware program and don't have an NDA.) Thus, a pure software product like Indigo cannot be a full HomeKit bridge. WAG, but perhaps a dongle can be developed that allows a software bridge to work. Maybe not.

Craig

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 am
pvrfan offline

durosity wrote:
... As for catching up.. Really their business is aimed at a different market. Homekit is for simple, zero config (or as close to it as you can get) setups with basic user interaction. Indigo is a whole other kettle of fish, must more configurable and customisable. I fully expect that indigodomo will get more business now as people who start with home kit devices start to branch out to more complex setups. ...

The HomeKit software framework* has the plumbing for for a lot of configuration and customization. It supports the definition of Actions Sets which are arbitrary sets of commands sent to specific devices. It supports the definition of Triggers to kick off Actions or Action Sets. Currently, only TimerTriggers are defined. The initial impression most people have is that HomeKit is only about immediate voice control via Siri. Triggers mean there is a whole other side of HomeKit that has got little mention. Specifically, HomeKit must live on a device in the house (upgraded AppleTV?) in order to reliably run TimerTriggers. It has to; your phone could be off or out of cell range when a trigger is supposed to fire.

Right now, I think we know very little about HomeKit and that there is much more to come. In Apple fashion, I think they may wait until more of the pieces are in place and then hold a grand unveiling.

Craig

*Remember, we've only seen a developer preview of the framework, not even version 1. Apple has a history of nailing down the basics to start with and then adding to it over time.

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:44 am
Seeker offline

Indigo does everything I want to do (and more). I just want some simple geo-location capabilities. It is currently too complex with Indigo and the options I've tried (fingscan, find my idevices). iOS device location should be built in to Indigo Touch. Maybe that's on the drawing board for the upcoming release.

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 pm
fawcettr offline

I may be missing something here, or I'm in the wrong forum for this post, or my idea may be half-baked. But..I'm thinking there is no reason I can't have both Indigo and Insteon Hub running at my home. Non scripted devices can then be controlled via the Insteon Hub and scripted devices, or plug-ins, can still run via Indigo control. I even think I could use the Insteon Hub to control a device or virtual device that Indigo would see as a trigger to launch a scripted event. I know this is extra work and a bit of a kludge, but if Indigo is unable to support HomeKit this seems like a solution for me as I really want to say Hey Siri, open my gate!

I'm interested if those of you with more experience can show me what I'm missing with this idea.

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:23 am
bnance offline

I'm with fawcettr.

I was thinking the same thing. Where is the flaw in my logic?

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm
roussell offline

There is another Hub topic (or 2) floating around here and Jay has posted a general statement about the subject too somewhere. In short - and testing with a previous gen hub here has confirmed it - some devices link to the last controller only (thermostats are a good example) so either Indigo/PLM or Hub gets control and status, not both. Also, I've noticed that even when linking a dimmer or switch, statuses aren't broadcasts to both I could control a linked switch link with both indigo/PLM and the Hub, but only the last one linked would get a status update on device state change.

EDIT: Here is Jay's comment on the Hub:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13194

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:27 pm
whmoorejr offline

If Apple's decision to sidestep a software bridge.... (shunning the die hard MAC automation folks to pander to the masses) bothers you too....

Add to my thread at Apple.... or start your own grievance there..... either way.... let the weenies in cupertino know how you feel.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27523352#27523352

Bill
My Plugin: My People