CM11-Failed to open serial port with X10 interface

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:44 pm
Mitchell offline

CM11-Failed to open serial port with X10 interface

Hello,

I have a CM11 that I used on my PC. I bought a USB PDA/Serial Adapter to connect the unit to my USB. I get the message "Failed to open serial port with X10 interface. Make sure the correct interface type and port are chosen in the Preferences dialog and that the serial device or adapter are pluggted in correctly." I am assuming my computer is recongnizing the unit because I see it in the System Profiler under USB BUS as a USB-Serial Controller D. I am using Indigo v 1.8.0 (I've uploaded the software updates and not quite sure what to do with them) and I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Any insight as to what I can do? I'd like to stop using my PC.

Thanks,

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: CM11-Failed to open serial port with X10 interface

Hello Mitchell,

Did you installer the driver for your USB to serial adapter? Any USB device will show up in the system profiler, but that does not mean you have the driver installed. This post might help get you started. I would recommend that you upgrade (just download from our download page) version 1.8.2 as well. You might want to give the beta of 2.0 a try. However, I don't believe either of those will help with your connection problem -- I think for that you just need to install the correct driver.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:27 am
Mitchell offline

(No subject)

Matt thanks for the reply. I do have the MAC drivers for the USB to Serial adaptor; however, there are no instruction to run it. When I double click on the driver it ask for an applicatio and I don't know which to use.

I did see your post for the CM11 drivers. I understood it to be for an older version of MAC and not the newer Intel MAC.

I'd appreciate your advise.

Mitchell

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Mitchell,

Try this open source driver. I've heard that it works well.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:37 am
Mitchell offline

(No subject)

Matt, I got my CM11 to work with a test. Thanks. I also downloaded the beta version, however, I can't get my registration to go through. Any addition advise or should I leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes once I begin to program my lighting.

Mitchell

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Mitchell wrote:
...however, I can't get my registration to go through.

Do you mean that you never received your Registration email, or that Indigo 2 won't accept the registration code? If it is the former, than check your spam/junk email folders -- those registration code emails get treated as spam all the time. If it the latter, then are you entering a registration code that begins INDM10 or INDM20? It should be INDM20. If it isn't, then make sure you clicked on the correct button on the trial registration web page. There is one button for Indigo 1.8 and one for the 2.0 beta.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 am
Mitchell offline

(No subject)

I registered my Indigo 1.8.0 using the registration code on the sleeve last week. That went through without a problem. It asked if I wanted to update the software to 1.8.2, which I did. However, I'm not sure I got that to update. (I did download the update) Reading through the forum, it seemed that downloading the beta version would help with some of my issues. (before you sent me the latest link) I tried to register the Beta version using my registation code on my 1.8.0 sleeve. I am now assuming that it will only work if I request a 30 day free trial, right?

Thanks for all your assistance.

Mitchell

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:53 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Mitchell,

Mitchell wrote:
I tried to register the Beta version using my registation code on my 1.8.0 sleeve. I am now assuming that it will only work if I request a 30 day free trial, right?

Correct, you'll need to register for the 60 day free trial of 2.0 because Indigo 2.0 is a paid upgrade for all Indigo 1.x customers. But note the price of Indigo 2.0 has increased to $199.95 (US$). If you are an Indigo 1.x customer, then you can get the upgrade to 2.0 for $90 less the the full price of 2.0. In effect, regardless of when you purchased Indigo 1.x, you'll receive full credit for your existing purchase towards the purchase of Indigo 2.0.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1