RemoteLinc 2 - Support for battery low notifications?

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am
CT1 offline

RemoteLinc 2 - Support for battery low notifications?

I searched the board, but was unable to find anything. I'm using several of these remotelinc 2's and would like to send email when the batteries are running low. The manual indicates that these units support this command, but I can't figure out how to catch it in Indigo... Here's the snippet from the maunal:

Low battery transmit warning (use with software to trigger email/text message)

Is this supported?

Thanks!

Chris

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: RemoteLinc 2 - Support for battery low notifications?

Not at the moment - Indigo needs two thing: 1) the ability to set the heartbeat interval (might be able to do it with the INSTEON send raw command), 2) Indigo needs to catch the heartbeat message and do something with it.

We've got this and several other extended message feature requests on the list. Not sure when we'll get to them though.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm
nsheldon offline

I have a couple of RemoteLinc 2's as well. This feature would be nice.

Is there some way a plugin could capture this heartbeat and do something with it if, say, a plugin developer wished to make an attempt? ;-) If so, does the RemoteLinc 2 send heartbeat messages by default or does it have to be enabled?

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It might be possible from a plugin. While the RL is awake, try sending the extended command 2E 00 03 XY, where XY is the wake interval time. I believe the value is calculated x 12.5 minutes, so using hex 0A would be a couple of hours.

From your plugin then watch for incoming broadcasts. I think, but am not positive, the broadcast with have 04 BL in it, where BL is the battery level.

I've never experimented with these commands before, so let us know how it goes...

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:58 pm
nsheldon offline

Thanks Matt! I'll mess around with it and see what I can find. :-D

Posted on
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 am
nsheldon offline

So Matt... How would I intercept broadcasts from the the RemoteLinc 2? I used the Example INSTEON/X10 Listener plugin found in the Plugin SDK 1.4. I don't see any INSTEON broadcast messages though. It looks like either indigo.insteon.subscribeToIncoming only captures direct commands (and not broadcast commands) or the "insteonCommandReceived" method ignores broadcasts. Pressing buttons on the remote result in data appearing in the log, but pressing and holding the SET button doesn't show anything (I'm assuming that pressing and holding the SET button generates some kind of broadcast that would normally appear in a raw data stream from the modem). Is there another method I can use to get broadcast messages? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the term "broadcast".

Posted on
Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I wonder if it isn't sending it. The buttons on the RemoteLinc (and SwitchLinc, KeypadLinc) are actually group broadcast commands. The SET button pressed is a special command that isn't passed to the plugins, but all direct commands and group/broadcast/scene commands should be.

Posted on
Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm
nsheldon offline

Hmm... I'll try sending a couple of other 2E 00 03 xy commands and see what I get. Thanks for the info.

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 am
CT1 offline

Thanks, I hope this makes it into Indigo 6, these remotelinc2's coupled with the wall mount plates are good & inexpensive ways to put a lightswitch wherever you want one. I put switches that are reachable from all the beds, and control the nightstand lights among other things. The only problem is they become integral when installed, and if the battery dies, it's a problem...

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 am
nsheldon offline

Unfortunately, I've tried all the commands Matt provided, plus a few I found by googling, and discovered that, at least with the version 1.0 and 1.1 RemoteLinc 2's (firmware 35 and 36), they do not support the heartbeat function. I don't have any i2CS engine versions to test. Maybe they do, but the i2 engine versions I have don't. It's definitely something SmartLabs should have included in the design though.

Posted on
Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am
krkeegan offline

I have revision 1.4 which is i2cs and I am unable to change the sleep interval, the broadcast number, or to set the NoImAwake bit to off. While documented, it doesn't look like the current remotelinc2s support the heart beat feature.

Page 1 of 1