[ANSWERED] CM11 problems (non-Keyspan USB adapter bug)

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 am
Patrick offline

[ANSWERED] CM11 problems (non-Keyspan USB adapter bug)

Hello,
I'm having problems with sending commands to my devices.
Sometimes the commands are randomly getting blocked in the pipe (as indicated by the green block in the pipe between de computer and the interface CM11).
When this happens the only sollution to get it working again is to disconnect the interface in the software menu and hitting connect again.
You can also get it working again by closing down the Indigo software and restarting it but this doesn't narrow down the problem.
When the problem exists with the software the X10 devices are still accesible with the remote control that I have.
Does anyone else experienced this problem or has a sollution or tips for it?
The version of Indigo is 1.6 and runnig on Mac OS X 10.4.2
Greetings, Patrick

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:27 am
Jean offline

Indigo and CM11 interface problems

Hi,
I am having the same problem running Indigo 1.8 on MAC OS 10 .4.3
What sounds weird to me is I am using a RF800 which tends to get a lot of indefinite byte errors.
After quitting and relaunching Indigo 99% of the erros are gone for a while even nothing has changed in my set up
Anybody any ideas ?
Jean

jean

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo and CM11 interface problems

Hello Patrick / Jean,

What USB to serial adapter are you all using? This sounds like adapter driver problems that folks have reported before. I recommend the Keyspan adapter since they have the most robust driver. Could also be a bad USB or serial cable, or the CM11 could be malfunctioning.

Note that Indigo 1.8 has a pref to ignore the undefined byte error messages from the W800RF32. Depending on the RF noise in your home, it might be best just to ignore commands that aren't formatted correctly (versus logging them as an error).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:43 am
Jean offline

Hi Matt
Regarding
CM 11 : connected to computer using USB to Serial cable with driver found somewhere on the forum, as I have an extra Keyspan 19 HS adapter as well as an extra CM 11 I will try and test connecting CM 11 with this new configuration to try and rule out first the driver then a possible defective CM 11 (probabilities for being both defective as I bought them 3 month ago seems very low)
RF 800 : connected with Keyspan 19HS, moving antenna to different places made no difference regarding number of error messages,
could it be possible that the body itself of the RF800 be subject to catching some bad data, I have no idea but it might be worth investigating on this side
For now I will just ignore the error messages using Indigo Prefs
Will keep you posted if this improves anything
Rgds
Jean from France

jean

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:47 am
Patrick offline

(No subject)

Hi Matt,
First of all I wan't to thank you for the quick reply.
The USB to serial adapter that I am using is from Marmitek because this is the one that they supply together with the CM11 in Belgium.
The drivers for the Marmitek USB to serial are the one's from profilic PL2303.
I'm using the latest driver from there website (version 1.1.0 build1).
I also have the previous one over here (version 1.0.9 build7) so I will try this one for a while and let you know if the problem would be solved.
Regards, Patrick

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Jean / Patrick,

One hack that might keep the driver problem from occurring would be to have Indigo automatically disconnect and reconnect the interface (thus closing and opening the driver connection) every few hours. Try creating a Time/Date Action that occurs every 720 minutes (12 hours) that executes this embedded AppleScript:

Code: Select all
tell application "Indigo"
   set online to false
   delay 8
   set online to true
end tell

Let me know if that helps. You definitely shouldn't have to do the above, but it might be a much cheaper solution than purchasing a Keyspan adapter. :-)

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:45 am
Patrick offline

(No subject)

Hi Matt,
I've ordered a keyspan USB to serial adapter online and I'm expecting it next week.
Meanwhile I will try the embedded applescript with the profilic driver to see if the problem persists or not.
Anyway I will post my experiences over here (profilic and keyspan)
Greetings , Patrick

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:03 am
McDozo offline

Same here

H i Matt, Jean and Patrick,

I also have the same clogging problems, tried different drivers and cables for the Marmitek CM11. Keeps on clogging.
(Has nothing to do with the RF800 error receptions. These are caused by several electro magnetic fields like our fridge etc. )
Sometimes it seems to disfunction more often if my iMac is handling too much other apps.

I was thinking of writing an applescript myself. Didn't know it would look that simple. I'll try this Matt. Should work. But 12 hrs is too long.

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:38 pm
Patrick offline

(No subject)

Hi guys,
Just for your information, I received my keyspan USB to serial adapter last Monday.
I removed the prolific driver and installed the keyspan driver and from this moment on I still haven't had to restart Indigo or reconnect with the CM11.
Before the switch I couldn't even run the software reliable for more than a day so I guess this solved the 'weird' connection problem.
Hope to be of service with this information :wink:
Regards , Patrick

Posted on
Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:37 am
pmarston offline

Yeah I've been having the same problem - I ordered a USB version of the CM11 and was unhappy to receive the serial version with an adapter cable. When I complained that I specifically ordered the advertise single USB cable version for a reason (I'm on a Mac) they said that it shouldn't make a difference because they both use the same driver. Despite being a PC centric company they did get the Mac driver from prolific for me which was good of them (which I'd already done thanks to this forum) but it still didn't work.

Again thanks to this forum I got the Keyspan and everythings working fine.
:)

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:12 am
Jean offline

Hi you all
After doing quite a lot of testing with different configurations I have found out that using Keyspan adapter instead of Usb to serial cable with prolific driver (latest version) seems to solve most of the pipe clogging problem. Clogging problem hasn't happened for the last few days, with prolific driver it happened nearly every day. So the answer could be Keyspan adapter and Keyspan driver.
Regarding RF800 reception error messages: does anybody have ideas on precisely what kind of devices could be responsible for these errors, I have ckecked on Indigo log file, some errors happen in the middle of the night when very little is happening in the house. I have tried moving the antenna or the device itself to different places : makes no difference, I have also tried to use different cables to lonk device to Keyspan adapter: no difference.
Any ideas ?
Thanks for help

jean

Posted on
Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo and CM11 interface problems

If you turn on the pref to ignore commands that aren't received correctly, does the W800RF32 still function correctly? If so, then I would recommend having Indigo ignore the errors.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:57 am
Jean offline

Indigo and W800RF

Hi Matt
Yes the W800RF functions correctly if turning on prefs to ignore errors messages but my question is : what kind of devices could produce these error messages just by curiosity and to try and see if I can minimize them as much as possible.
Thanks for help

jean

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:44 am
Otis offline

(No subject)

I haven't looked into it yet, but my W800FR32 produces error messages at the rate of more than one a minute, until I turn my Samsung DLP TV set on (it's about 10 inches away from the antenna). Then the error messages stop.

Maybe the TV generates enough RF noise to lower the sensitivity of the W800 a bit? I hope to have more info in a day or two.

Also nearby is my Mac Mini, with Bluetooth and Airport enabled. Perhaps it's raditating enough to cause the error messages.

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:42 pm
pkronen offline

(No subject)

Well, I do not even have a RF connection, only a USB to the CM11, and I still have that phenomenon occaisionly. Is it really an outside source disturbing the connection, or a software bug (Indigo or CM11)?