Insteon Fanlinc

Posted on
Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm
Brandt offline

Re: Insteon Fanlinc

I have mine linked to a 6 button KPL...the ON(1/2)/OFF(7/8) load switches control the kitchen light....Button 3 controls the fan light, 4 Low, 5 Medium, and 6 High.....I found you don't need a separate off button like they show on the fanlinc page.....Only thing is when switching between fan speeds you have to turn off one button first before turning on the next otherwise nothing happens.

Indigo 7 w/ Dual-Band 2413U PLM
macOS High Sierra 10.13.x
2011 iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 am
mwarner offline

Brandt wrote:
I have mine linked to a 6 button KPL...the ON(1/2)/OFF(7/8) load switches control the kitchen light....Button 3 controls the fan light, 4 Low, 5 Medium, and 6 High.....I found you don't need a separate off button like they show on the fanlinc page.....Only thing is when switching between fan speeds you have to turn off one button first before turning on the next otherwise nothing happens.

When I set up my fanlinc to a 6-button KPL, all of the buttons worked fine. They did all remain lit as though each of them were on, but the last button pressed dictated the fan function. After going through the KPL directions for setting up Radio button groups, you can set it up so that as you press a new button, the one that is previously on will also switch off its LED so as that button turns off, so does its LED.

Posted on
Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:04 pm
Brandt offline

mwarner wrote:
When I set up my fanlinc to a 6-button KPL, all of the buttons worked fine. They did all remain lit as though each of them were on, but the last button pressed dictated the fan function. After going through the KPL directions for setting up Radio button groups, you can set it up so that as you press a new button, the one that is previously on will also switch off its LED so as that button turns off, so does its LED.

Can this be done in Indigo?

Posted on
Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Nope - you have to do it manually.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm
Brandt offline

hmmm the manual only gives an example for a two button group....do we have any examples of a 3 button group around here?

Also is there an ETA of when the fanlinc will be supported by Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No ETA yet.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm
brlandy offline

Brandt wrote:
hmmm the manual only gives an example for a two button group....do we have any examples of a 3 button group around here?

The Keypadlinc manual at Smarthome's site gives an example of creating a four way group. But I thought I'd add a couple of notes from how I setup mine. The two relevant sections in the manual are the section on radio buttons and setting the buttons in toggle/non-toggle mode.

There are two ways I did the setup. Both involve setting up a radio button group. But the second choice is whether you want the buttons to be able to toggle on/off, or not. If you let them toggle on/off that means you can have zero or one buttons in the group activated. If you set them up as non-toggle buttons then one button in the group will always be activated. So if you wanted to use 4 buttons on a keypadlinc to control the fan (off/low/med/high) you would want to set them to non-toggle and the lit button would show the fan's current state.

However, using toggle mode buttons let's you use only three buttons to control the fan's four states. You setup buttons for low/med/high, and then to turn off the fan you press whichever button is currently lit. In my case I have a fan in a room with an existing keypadlinc with only two free buttons, so was able to use those two buttons to handle off/low/med (we don't need high there).

Plus, the Fanlinc does respond to dim/brighten commands, so if I want to I can always put that fan on low then press & hold the medium button for a while to ramp it up to fast. Not super convenient, but possible. This should open up other possibilities--for example, using a single button to control the fan, or a switchlinc.

Posted on
Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am
Brandt offline

Great post thanks...I didn't see the 4 button group setup in the manual, i'll have to look again..

brlandy wrote:
Brandt wrote:

The Keypadlinc manual at Smarthome's site gives an example of creating a four way group. But I thought I'd add a couple of notes from how I setup mine. The two relevant sections in the manual are the section on radio buttons and setting the buttons in toggle/non-toggle mode.

There are two ways I did the setup. Both involve setting up a radio button group. But the second choice is whether you want the buttons to be able to toggle on/off, or not. If you let them toggle on/off that means you can have zero or one buttons in the group activated. If you set them up as non-toggle buttons then one button in the group will always be activated. So if you wanted to use 4 buttons on a keypadlinc to control the fan (off/low/med/high) you would want to set them to non-toggle and the lit button would show the fan's current state.

However, using toggle mode buttons let's you use only three buttons to control the fan's four states. You setup buttons for low/med/high, and then to turn off the fan you press whichever button is currently lit. In my case I have a fan in a room with an existing keypadlinc with only two free buttons, so was able to use those two buttons to handle off/low/med (we don't need high there).

Plus, the Fanlinc does respond to dim/brighten commands, so if I want to I can always put that fan on low then press & hold the medium button for a while to ramp it up to fast. Not super convenient, but possible. This should open up other possibilities--for example, using a single button to control the fan, or a switchlinc.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 pm
Blue-LT offline

Is there any noticeable humm when using the Insteon Fanlinc at the various speeds? When I had my fans speed controlled by X-10 devices this was very noticeable, and therefore abandoned that project. looking for a new alternative.
Thanks in advance

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:48 pm
paduck offline

Blue-LT wrote:
Is there any noticeable humm when using the Insteon Fanlinc at the various speeds? When I had my fans speed controlled by X-10 devices this was very noticeable, and therefore abandoned that project. looking for a new alternative.
Thanks in advance

No, I haven't noticed any sound from the Fanlinc at all.

Posted on
Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm
brlandy offline

Brandt wrote:
Great post thanks...I didn't see the 4 button group setup in the manual, i'll have to look again..

I'm glad it was helpful.

I used the instructions in this manual, pages 15 & 16, to define a radio button group: http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2486d_r5.pdf

The bottom of page 11 contains the instructions to change the toggle mode of a button.

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm
jquestv2 offline

Is the only way to currently control the Fanlinc with a KPL?

Any update of when we might have control via Indigo?

many thanks,
John

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

You can control it from any INSTEON controller, but since it takes 2 buttons/scenes to control it you will need either a KeypadLinc, RemoteLinc, or 2 SwitchLincs, etc. We are working on adding support to Indigo for it, but we do not yet have an ETA.

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 am
majortom offline

Having 9 of them in place at my house in FL, I would love to get Indigo support soon. :-) I really want to integrate it so that it will work with the HVAC and weather sensors to regulate room temperature in the most energy efficient way. On another fan front, have you considered adding support for Broan's Smart Sense system? :-)

Posted on
Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 am
eme jota ce offline

majortom wrote:
Having 9 of them in place at my house in FL, I would love to get Indigo support soon. :-)

+1

Page 3 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9