Growl Plug-in for Indigo 5 (ver. 1.0.4)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:01 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Growl Plug-in for Indigo 5 (ver. 1.0.4)

I recently upgraded to Ver5 of Indigo and the first plug-in I headed for was Growl.

I'm running MacOS 10.6.8 on my MacMini with Growl 1.2.2. I plan to upgrade to 10.7 but need to get a few other things updated before I do.

My question is that my Growl plug-in for Indigo does not appear as the one in the instructions. I have not drop down to select which version of Growl that I'm running. For the plug-in to work do I first need to upgrade my MacOS to Lion so I can run a more recent version of Growl?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Growl Plug-in for Indigo 5 (ver. 1.0.4)

Sorry - a bit of the cart before the horse syndrome. The next Indigo release will have an updated Growl plugin (note the version note at the top) that works with both 1.2 and 1.3. The currently shipping one only works with 1.2, but since that's what you're using it's not a problem - just skip the step of selecting the version.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:42 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Initially when I set up the plug-in I noticed that Indigo Growl Notifications were available in the configurations for Growl. Yet when I change Notification Types (removed Sprinkler Events and replaced with Test Events) they don't show up in Growl Notifications w/in the System Preferences. I changed the Display Style to Smoke to simplify things, had been Prowl which works remotely for other programs, and I still don't get visual indicator on the Mini other than the Preview.

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You have to send a notification before the notification strings change in the Growl configuration.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm
AlaskaDave offline

I guess the issue is that notifications are not sending. Seems like a pretty simple set up... not sure what might not be behaving. Any logs I can check?

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

"Indigo Plugin" is showing in the list of applications in the Growl UI?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:57 pm
AlaskaDave offline

I'm looking in my Scripts folder for Ver5 and I see a growl attachment script while there also being a Growl.indigoPlugin in the plug-ins folder. Should these both be running or do I have a previous script for Ver4 running that shouldn't?

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can use both if you want - but there isn't really a need to do so. We left it there for backwards compatibility so if you have existing scripts that send growls they'll continue to work unmodified.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 pm
AlaskaDave offline

jay wrote:
"Indigo Plugin" is showing in the list of applications in the Growl UI?

In my list of Applications in the Growl is "Indigo Growl Notification".

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok - that means the plugin hasn't even registered yet. Have you attempted a Growl notification? Create an Action Group (called "Growl Test" or something) and add a growl plugin notify action (not an AppleScript script that does a growl). To execute a plugin action, select "Plugin" from the "Type:" menu, select "Growl" from the "Plugin:" menu, and "Notify" from the "Action:" menu. Fill out the dialog as described in the docs and save it.

Then execute the Action Group.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Ah... there if goes.

"The plugin developer must enable it specifically. Check the plugin documentation to see if the field you're interested in supports variable substitution."

I was hoping to receive a growl/prowl when a specific motion sensor showed motion. Or a temperature below 32degrees was sensed...etc. Is this beyond the Growl plug-in or is it just require additional steps?

Thanks Again!

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Um - the Growl Notify action (like the one you created in the Action Group) is just like any other action that Indigo supports. So, create your trigger (motion sensed, temp decreases) just like you create any trigger and on the Actions tab add a Notify action just like you create any other action (like turning on a light).

The quote above is irrelevant to the task of just creating a notification. And, as it states on the help page for the Growl plugin, it does support variable substitution if you want to include variable information in the growl message. But that is completely separate from having a notification happen when a motion sensor detects movement.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1