Nest Learning Thermostat

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:31 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Nest Learning Thermostat

Unfortunately, we heard back from them that there is currently no API available for integration with home automation systems. We'll continue to try to work with them, but without an API it will make integration much more difficult.

Very much in the Apple Way, they want to provide a whole experience, rather than ship a component in a system they don't control. I don't mind reverse-engineering their IP interface. I'm just afraid that a lot of the raw sensor data never makes it off the device, making it necessary to hack the Nest itself.

We'll just have to see...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Agreed - this is what I was expecting (and predicted to Matt that would be the response). For us, reverse engineering is just not in the cards for anything (we've been avoiding it for X10 interfaces for years). Coding to specified APIs is bad enough in many cases, we just don't have the time to chase moving undocumented targets unless there's a REALLY good reason (only two I can think of in the last several years and those were to overcome shortcomings in Apple APIs).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Perry -- that would be great if you gave reverse-engineering their IP comm a shot. I haven't looked at it in detail, but hopefully it doesn't just push all of the states/temps to their servers.

And yeah, they are definitely taking the Apple stance on this. At this point, they won't hint at all if they are planning on releasing any type of API information in the future.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 pm
Korey offline

support wrote:
And yeah, they are definitely taking the Apple stance on this. At this point, they won't hint at all if they are planning on releasing any type of API information in the future.

Yeah.. This was the response I received after inquiring:

Here’s what we suggest:
Currently we haven't made any announcements, regarding API availability or any other type of integration compatibility.
Any announcements will show up on our website at nest.com. However, You can stay informed about product updates and future announcements by adding your email address to our Nest news list; the form is available near the bottom of the front page of nest.com.
(Nov 10, 2011)

:(

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 pm
speedkills offline

I am really liking my Nest thermostat and it is probably my GF's favorite home automation item that I have installed. It does have a zigbee interface, not sure if they will enable it in the future and I also noticed recently that the new Comcast home automation/security product they are rolling out is also zigbee. In surveying the overall market it seems like zigbee is really gaining ground and they definitely are starting to have the most advanced modules turned out so hopefully in the future Indigo can end up with some sort of zigbee functionality, whether native or via a plugin.

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:31 pm
pantalones offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
Unfortunately, we heard back from them that there is currently no API available for integration with home automation systems. We'll continue to try to work with them, but without an API it will make integration much more difficult.

Very much in the Apple Way, they want to provide a whole experience, rather than ship a component in a system they don't control. I don't mind reverse-engineering their IP interface. I'm just afraid that a lot of the raw sensor data never makes it off the device, making it necessary to hack the Nest itself.

We'll just have to see...

Cheers
-- perry

For what it's worth, there is no vendor-provided api, but one could make something out of Beautiful Soup or other scriptable screen-scrapers pointing at nest.com. Control of the entire system is exposed through the web app. My hunch is it's too much work if it'll be replaced with an actual API in the near future, though.

One thing to consider is they might not be releasing an API because they intend to keep this a closed system for their own proprietary components and software in the future.

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 am
terrydew offline

I ran across this while searching for info about Nest. There were some othe references to wired prairie. Thought this might be of help to anyone thinking of a plugin.

http://www.smbaker.com/a-python-api-for ... thermostat

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Great info -- using python with the json library looks like it is relatively easy to communicate with the Nest.

For anyone wishing to take a shot at a Nest plugin, also be sure and download the Indigo Plugin SDK. It includes an example plugin that creates a thermostat device type, which will be a helpful template for a Nest plugin.

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 12:43 pm
Aeolius offline

A Nest-related thread popped up on MacRumors, as the Apple store may start carrying the Nest.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1375724

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 12:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Aeolius -- thanks for dropping the Indigo reference and link on that thread. :-)

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I gave the script a shot and it seems to work great through the terminal command window. However, when I try to use his commands through an embedded python script in Indigo it throws a syntax error.

The following command sets the temperature on the Nest to 73:

Code: Select all
nest.py --user joe@user.com --password swordfish temp 73

Posted on
Sat May 26, 2012 9:14 pm
bschollnick2 offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I gave the script a shot and it seems to work great through the terminal command window. However, when I try to use his commands through an embedded python script in Indigo it throws a syntax error.

The following command sets the temperature on the Nest to 73:

nest.py --user joe@user.com --password swordfish temp 73

You don't indicate what the syntax error is that is being reported.... ?

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 7:44 am
ryanbuckner offline

Sorry, it's pretty generic. I've removed my real username and password. This is the error in the event window but the same error appears in the embedded script window.

Script Error                    embedded script: invalid syntax
Script Error                    around line 1 - "nest.py --user joe@user.com --password swordfish temp 73"

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 am
bschollnick2 offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
Sorry, it's pretty generic. I've removed my real username and password. This is the error in the event window but the same error appears in the embedded script window.

Script Error                    embedded script: invalid syntax
Script Error                    around line 1 - "nest.py --user joe@user.com --password swordfish temp 73"

Is "nest.py --user joe@user.com --password swordfish temp 73" the entire contents of the embedded script?

If so, I think your misunderstanding how the embedded scripts work... It has to be the text of the script, not the command line. You could switch it to an external file, and put your credentials in the nest.py file....

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sun May 27, 2012 10:00 am
terrydew offline

I just got one to try and it is a really nice (I would say cool but my son says I am to old to say cool :D ) product. I think it is worth the extra $ just from looks alone. I took their post installation survey and added the comment below. If more people do this maybe they will get the word.

Yes! This is a wonderful product that is marred because you have not released an API so that it can be integrated with other home automation systems. I use Indigo from Perceptive Automation as i am totally mac based. This would not be hard to do so I can't understand why you haven't released this already. It could only help your sales. I have a total of 11 thermostats and I got one Nest to try but I can not justify 10 more with out the API or at least a statement that one is on the way. Again great product.