RCS TXB-16 Thermostat

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:25 pm
Burk3 offline

RCS TXB-16 Thermostat

Lately, I've heard a lot about the tempLinc, and almost no references to the RCS TXB-16 HVAC thermostat thing. I'm very interested in automating my thermostat in general, not just turning on and off my ac/heater, so I was going to buy one of these if I could make it work with Indigo.

What I really want to know is how involved the installation process is. I already have a heating/cooling system controlled by a box with a timer thing that changes the target temp based on the time of day (which doesn't work too well because of a very annoying interface). Do I simply replace that with the RCS TXB-16, or is there more to it.

Also, the unit seems to have a pretty advanced tempurature setting/reporting system based on preset dim level signals. Does indigo support preset dim levels, and would I be able to script that?

Any info on the unit is appreciated, as well as scripting info and previous experiences with the RCS TXB-16

http://www.smarthome.com/3045B.html

--Burke Cates
http://www.nutcates.com/

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:48 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

If you read this thread there is some info about that thermostat. As I understand it requires 4 wires from the control box (that sits near your HVAC unit) to the wall display. If you already have 4 wires then your are good, if you only have 2 like me then you need to find a way to run those wires.

Posted on
Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:23 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: RCS TXB-16 Thermostat

Burk3 wrote:
Any info on the unit is appreciated, as well as scripting info and previous experiences with the RCS TXB-16

The TempLinc attachment script I wrote would be a good place to start for scripting the TXB-16. The code that decodes the address/preset dim pairs into a temperature should work for the TXB-16. What is lacking is code to easily send temperatures and commands to the TXB-16.

I'll work on this in a bit. I don't have the TXB-16, so I'll have to solicit help with testing it once I get started.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Here is info on an Indigo attachment script for the 2-way RCSs:

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/php ... ?p=951#951

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:35 pm
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

Turns out that I DO have 4 wires running from my heater. Anyone know where to get these things cheaper then Smarthome?

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Hi Greg,

You might give Worthington distribution a shot:

http://www.worthdist.com/RCS-HVAC.htm

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:15 pm
The Edge offline

Burk3 wrote:
Lately, I've heard a lot about the tempLinc, and almost no references to the RCS TXB-16 HVAC thermostat thing. I'm very interested in automating my thermostat in general, not just turning on and off my ac/heater, so I was going to buy one of these if I could make it work with Indigo.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I'm just starting to look into Indigo for home heating solutions. Posted general questions to another forum, but I'm wondering if anyone who's looked into the RCS TXB-16 knows if it will work with a boiler and radiator system instead of forced air? Obviously the fan function would be a bit useless, but it seems to be one of the only thremostats that supports X-10.

Joe

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:06 pm
dtich offline

(No subject)

rcs, inc. said to me in an email that they are reviewing the feasibility of supporting INSTEON with their upcoming thermostat offerings; if they decide to pursue INSTEON it will not be before mid 06 that we see product. i myself am waiting for that as i don't feel x10 is reliable enough for a critical system like hvac.

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:14 pm
jeremyh offline

(No subject)

FWIW, I've been using the TXB-16 via X10 mode reliably for about a year now. Have not had any comm problems with it at all on my fairly extensive X10 network.

-------------------------------------------------
Jeremy Hubbell - Hubbell Automation
http://www.hubbell.biz

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:22 pm
dtich offline

(No subject)

that's good to know jeremy, thx. so, it hasn't skipped a scheduled setting change or anything? pretty good, then.

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:40 am
jeremyh offline

(No subject)

Nope. No problems at all. If anything, setting up events so that you want it to heat when you need it to based on time and/or remote temp sensors is more of a pain simply because it's more trial and error. But as far as the unit goes operationally, it works just fine for me.

Jeremy Hubbell - Hubbell Automation
http://www.hubbell.biz

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:20 pm
nsosnicki offline

The Edge wrote:
Burk3 wrote:

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I'm just starting to look into Indigo for home heating solutions. Posted general questions to another forum, but I'm wondering if anyone who's looked into the RCS TXB-16 knows if it will work with a boiler and radiator system instead of forced air? Obviously the fan function would be a bit useless, but it seems to be one of the only thremostats that supports X-10.

Joe

Joe, I use the TXB-16 for controlling both a boiler/radiator (i.e., hydronic) system and an A/C system. Check out the detailed product info on Smarthome.

My only criticism of the unit is that there no way to send an explicit "turn on" or "turn off" command to the unit via X10. You can change the setpoint via X10, but the acutal room temp has to be below the setpoint for the boiler to kick on. I was hoping to set up logic in Indigo would control the boiler based on readings from remote temp sensors, but it doe s not work that way. It is more of a traditional thermostat with the X10 hook.

If all you are doing is a single zone hydronic system, you *could* go a lot cheaper than the TXB-16 if you're willing to live without the remote digital display/control buttons. Using a universal module, a relay, a TempLinc, and some creative applescripts, you could have your own Indigo controlled boiler for less than $90.

No matter what you do, I would highly recommend keeping a good old fashioned, mercury switch thermostat connected as a backup.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:15 pm
bob offline

(No subject)

I have always wanted to use Indigo to control my home heating in the winter to come on in the morning, as I turn it down at night for sleeping. I didn't want to fork out the money for the X10 device so I made a simple one of my own that uses a few relays, LEDs and a 12 volt wall wart controlled by Indigo/EZIO8SA to do the job. Before bedtime Indigo controls an EZIO8SA output as a switch that applies voltage to a relay that disconnects the furnace from my main daytime thermostat and connects it to a night thermostat (set to a lower night temp). In the morning Indigo has the EZIO8SA output control the relay again to disconnect the night thermostat and connect the day thermostat that is set for the warmer daytime temperature so I wake up to warm house. Soon my 1-Wire Temp sensor will replace the mechanical thermostat.

Here is a picture, may not be pretty but it works a treat!

http://duc.scrapping.cc/home_auto/heat_controller.jpg
Last edited by bob on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:43 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Great and clever solution. Thanks for sharing!

Matt

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 am
KennethT offline

Will this thermostat be able to control a humidity device also? I have a humidifier on my furnace that can be adjusted to raise or lower the humidity but right now it is manual. It is an Aprilaire humidity device. Is there a way for this thermostat or another to be able to control it?

Kenneth - Does anyone have an ADT security system working with indigo or X10?