Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 1000-Series

Posted on
Sun May 29, 2011 8:21 pm
jamus offline

Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 1000-Series

I've working on a plugin for The Energy Detective 1000-Series.

Right now, it stores current kilowatt usage, today's kilowatt*hour usage, this month's kilowatt*hour usage, and current voltage. It can optionally set variables with those values.

For those who want to help test it, a direct link to the plugin is at https://github.com/jamusj/ted/zipball/v0.9.0

For those who want to access the repository, the plugin is on the indigo-5-plugin branch (https://github.com/jamusj/ted/tree/indigo-5-plugin).

Posted on
Sun May 29, 2011 8:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 1000-Series

Wish I had one - maybe now that there's a plugin for it I'll invest... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2011 9:33 am
jamus offline

jay wrote:

I'd recommend looking at the 5000-series instead; it's ethernet based instead of USB based. That gives it more flexibility on where the receiver is placed. I'm also still having problems with the drivers finding all the FTDI devices after a reboot.

Posted on
Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:25 pm
loafbread offline

Jamus,
Do you have any trouble with the TED power line signals interfering with INSTEON power line signals?
thanks

Posted on
Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 pm
asw24b offline

loafbread wrote:
Jamus,
Do you have any trouble with the TED power line signals interfering with INSTEON power line signals?
thanks

I did !

Mike

Posted on
Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:31 pm
donhoffman offline

jay wrote:

Seriously. I will need to develop some major impulse control to resist this one. :) I just blew an hour looking at the 5000-series specs and thinking about how I would deploy it and do the plug-in for the ethernet version.

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:20 pm
jamus offline

loafbread wrote:
Jamus,
thanks

The only time TED interfered with Insteon was because the TED transmitter went bad.

I had a CFL and a nightlight interfering with TED (which didn't interfere with Insteon).

Posted on
Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Let us know when it's ready to go - and be sure to put it in the File Library so people can easily find it!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 pm
peppop offline

I'd recommend looking at the 5000-series instead; it's ethernet based instead of USB based. That gives it more flexibility on where the receiver is placed. I'm also still having problems with the drivers finding all the FTDI devices after a reboot.

Are you planing to make a plugin fore the 5000-series?

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48 am
jamus offline

peppop wrote:

Are you planing to make a plugin fore the 5000-series?

I have no plans until someone buys one for me, or my 1000-series goes bad. :)

The 5000-series has a published API that's HTTP based, so it should be a pretty easy plugin for somebody else to write in the meantime.

Nice to see someone else having problems with the FTDI drivers. I am suspecting my USB hub, since lately I've noticed my keyboard doesn't get recognized, but I haven't had a chance to investigate.

Posted on
Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:00 am
asw24b offline

jamus wrote:
I've working on a plugin for The Energy Detective 1000-Series.

Right now, it stores current kilowatt usage, today's kilowatt*hour usage, this month's kilowatt*hour usage, and current voltage. It can optionally set variables with those values.

For those who want to help test it, a direct link to the plugin is at https://github.com/jamusj/ted/zipball/v0.9.0

For those who want to access the repository, the plugin is on the indigo-5-plugin branch (https://github.com/jamusj/ted/tree/indigo-5-plugin).

Great plugin !

I made one change; I added another entry:

(154, 'Dlr_today', "<I", 0.000001666666667),

This entry is a 4 byte double that holds the total dollars spent on a given day; It rolls over ever day.

I am going to use it to track/graph daily cost of electricity.

Mike

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:17 pm
jamus offline

asw24b wrote:
Great plugin !

I made one change; I added another entry:

(154, 'Dlr_today', "<I", 0.000001666666667),

This entry is a 4 byte double that holds the total dollars spent on a given day; It rolls over ever day.

I am going to use it to track/graph daily cost of electricity.

Mike

You tried the Indigo 5 plugin, right? Did you update just the hardware interface (ted.py) or also the indigo interface (devices.xml, etc)? If you've updated the indigo interface, do you want to send me your copy? If not, will you be willing to test my changes out? I don't track the daily dollar amount via TED, since my billing structure doesn't work with it.

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:54 pm
gregjsmith offline

I'm having a problem with this plugin updating the variables. It updates when I reload the plugin but won't update on the schedule in the settings.

It worked correctly for a while and I;m not sure when it started having this problem.

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:36 pm
scotsman offline

Hey what a great plug-in! This is making me want to buy a TED too. Good luck with developing it further!

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:01 pm
gregjsmith offline

Ideas? Anyone?

gregjsmith wrote:
I'm having a problem with this plugin updating the variables. It updates when I reload the plugin but won't update on the schedule in the settings.

It worked correctly for a while and I;m not sure when it started having this problem.