Venstar 1 day thermostat insteon adapter reliability

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:36 pm
jholcomb offline

Venstar 1 day thermostat insteon adapter reliability

Is anyone else seeing reliability issues with this adapter? I have to frequently unplug/plugin the adapter when it becomes non-responsive to Indigo.

Also, hitting Refresh All in Indigo sometimes only refreshes the temp, not the set points. I have to refresh all multiple times to get the full state.

I have two adapters in use, one on each floor.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I've had one for about 5 months and have had to reset it once because of behavior just like you explained.

jay

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:55 pm
dduff617 offline

(No subject)

i have two of them. i use them a fair amount. i have not seen any issues and have never reset or unplugged either of them.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:25 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

For what it is worth, it seems like the Venstar is the single most delicate X10 or Insteon device I've ever had. Even the slightest amount of interference causes it to fail an update.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

Anyone have their devices set to auto-poll in Indigo? Since the adapter only sends out changes occurring at the thermostat every 15 minutes, I had tried setting mine to auto poll every 5 minutes. I'm going to try turning this off for a few days to see if it helps.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

DPattee wrote:
For what it is worth, it seems like the Venstar is the single most delicate X10 or Insteon device I've ever had. Even the slightest amount of interference causes it to fail an update.

Is it more accurate to single out Venstar (thermostat) or SmartHome (adapter) in this case? The two certainly work together to perform a function, but I would think the adapter is more likely the culprit.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

FYI, I have a single Venstar + adapter and have never had it lockup. When testing Indigo's polling of it, I ran it for a couple of days polling it every few minutes (5, I think). Mine is set to poll every 15 minutes currently.

Have you had both of them lock up or just one of them?

You might try moving your AccessPoint RF around to other outlets to see if that helps.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:47 pm
jholcomb offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
Have you had both of them lock up or just one of them?

The last lockup I experienced, both devices were unresponsive. But I think the upstairs adapter locked first followed by the downstairs adapter later.

Did you run into issues with more frequent polling?

I'll try moving the access point around again.

Posted on
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

jholcomb wrote:
Did you run into issues with more frequent polling?

Nope. I think maybe there were a couple of poll failure messages, but no lockups at all.

Matt

Page 1 of 1