Status bar ' waiting for z-wave ack'

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 pm
forestfield offline

Status bar ' waiting for z-wave ack'

As I said previously just upgraded to Indigo 7.

I like the new status message in the bottom left corner of the client - the bit that says things like 'Kitchen - Extractor Fan on', 'Executing python script etc'. The one that irritates me though is the 'Waiting for Z-wave ack' message. If it told me what device it was waitig for the ack from that would be a lot more helpful ( for example 'Waiting for z-wave ack from Coffee machine).

Yes - I've had some z-wave issues over the last week :-(

Thanks
-- Paul --

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Status bar ' waiting for z-wave ack'

That's actually somewhat challenging since we can be waiting for acks from multiple devices (which do you show?)...

If you turn on Z-Wave debugging, you can see a lot of what's going on in the log. It's fairly dense and somewhat complex, but it might help with your debugging efforts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm
kwijibo007 offline

I've had the exact same issue this week with a single device that was causing havoc my network. I couldn't determine which device it was with Indigo logging (debug). The only way to find the rouge module was removing them one by one till I found it.

Maybe Matt & Jay can confirm but I suspect that Indigo has no idea which device is acting up. In my case I think that the faulty module was freezing the z-stick which caused the 'waiting for z-stick ack'. The z-stick was temporarily locked up and Indigo was waiting for it.

Just my thoughts... This week I felt your pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The ZWave Watcher plugin might also be able to help.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm
forestfield offline

> which do you show....

Well that's the problem - I don't think I can tell which device indigo is waiting for this z-wave ack on!. I don't see a timeout message in the log (as I recall).
Can you tell if indigo has been waking for a ack for more than (say) 10 seconds on a device, and use that as the name of the potential stuck device? (I'm blue skying the architecture here - tell me to go away if I'm a pain!)

I'm also suspicious that my z-stick is failing, so it might be the stick rather than a device. I've currently got around 50 distinct z-wave devices - so removing them 1 by 1 would be a pain - guess I could try a binary chop!

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 am
howartp offline

If you do use the Watcher plugin, the (True)/(False) at the end of the logged Sent command is whether Ack succeeded or failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

An error will show in the Event Log window when we send a message to the Z-Wave device but don't get a response. For instance:

Code: Select all
   Z-Wave Error                    send "008 - Lamp Module (AD130)" status request failed

I believe there may also be a (no acknowledgment) error similar to:

Code: Select all
"Thermostat" turn cool on; send failed (no acknowledgment)

shown sometimes depending on the failure type.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 am
forestfield offline

Thanks both - I'll have a closer look at the logs. (Sidenote for Jay - I've hit the 8mb log file size limit a couple of times - is there any way to increase it?)

Thanks
-- Paul --

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 am
howartp offline

How on earth are you reaching 8mb logs?

Mine are <200kb most days.

If you're leaving ZWave logging turned on, I'd turn it off when you're not using it.

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 am
forestfield offline

> How on earth are you reaching 8mb logs

Determined effort :-)

You've just prompted me to run a quick analysis of the log files I have .
The most common message in my log files was the 'request to set variable' from the web server - but I found the hack to disable that a couple of days ago.
The next 2 are messages from a couple of scripts that calculate average temp/brightness around my house - and I've commented these out.
Then Trigger and Event Group notifications - I can disable the trigger logging, but I can't see a tick box to disable event group logging.
The last 'biggie' is a the 'Sent Hue Lights' for the hue plugin (I do a lot of colour rotating over the evening) - I can't see an easy way to reduce this.

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe we'll have this improved in a future version. We probably won't be able to show the device name, but can show the module address (node ID) in the progress area.

Posted on
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:32 pm
forestfield offline

Excellent!

I reset my Z-Stick this afternoon and re-added all my devices. It took ~2 hours,. Having the ability to include devices directly from the diner & sync is a vast improvement. Last time I did this for Indigo 6 it took the best part of a day - mainly running backwards and forwards with the z-stick. So a big thanks there.

Posted on
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.1.1 is now available for download and shows more details about pending Z-Wave commands (node ID).

Posted on
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 am
forestfield offline

Excellent - just upgraded to 7.1.1. Hopefully I'll never actually see this :-)

Page 1 of 1