Homebridge Buddy and IOS 11

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm
Robotronic offline

Re: Homebridge Buddy and IOS 11

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I need to update the docs, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's not so much hard-coded but rather what everyone has been using as the default. This can actually be changed in HBB.

How exactly do you change the PIN code from the default of 031-45-154?

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 am
howartp offline

Can’t remember if it’s Plugin settings or HBB Server device config, but one has a tick box to enabling changing the PIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 am
durosity offline

Hum.. that’s odd.. I could have sworn it was in It’s in the device itself > Edit Device Settings > Homebridge configuration.. but it’s not there!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

The PIN is hard coded into the plugin because there is no reason to change it. If you need to force HomeKit to see it as a new configuration simply change one of the characters in the User name instead. I had the PIN on there in early versions but it adds more confusions to fine tuning Homebridge so I took it out. When I said to change the PIN I mis-spoke and had meant the user name.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 am
Robotronic offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
The PIN is hard coded into the plugin because there is no reason to change it. If you need to force HomeKit to see it as a new configuration simply change one of the characters in the User name instead. I had the PIN on there in early versions but it adds more confusions to fine tuning Homebridge so I took it out. When I said to change the PIN I mis-spoke and had meant the user name.

First of all, thank you very much for creating this great plugin. I fully understand and respect that you have no obligation whatsoever to cater to the specific needs of us nerds. That said, I would argue that there is certainly a need to change the PIN. I don't want to use the same PIN that literally every other installation of Homebridge appears to be using, that's a security nightmare. Digging through the plugin package, I found the config.json and can change the PIN manually there. Question now is: Will that file be overwritten if changes are made to the plugin config within Indigo?

Also, how do we go about keeping the version of Homebridge built into the plugin updated? I tried the Homebridge Software Update option in the plugin menu within Indigo, but receive this error in the Event Log:

Code: Select all
EPS - Homebridge Buddy Error    plugin does not define method menuUpdate

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Robotronic wrote:
That said, I would argue that there is certainly a need to change the PIN. I don't want to use the same PIN that literally every other installation of Homebridge appears to be using, that's a security nightmare.

I considered that and when you think about the ability to even access Homebridge means they would have to compromise your network too then I think the damage is done. All of that being said, I'll add it to the list to add it back into the software in a very hidden way. Why? One of the reasons I took it out is the purpose of integrating Homebridge was so that people who didn't really know what they were doing with Homebridge didn't have to worry about it. The more options you give to people then the more chances there are that they post up here because they changed something and didn't understand the ramifications and then I've created more support headaches :).

Robotronic wrote:
Question now is: Will that file be overwritten if changes are made to the plugin config within Indigo?

Yes, the config.json file will get overwritten when you make changes. You can manually change something in the config (like the PIN) if you want but you risk it getting overwritten and then you would have to create your HomeKit accessories again because they would never again connect until you removed and re-added the HBB server. Yet another reason I try to minimize what people can do to muck with the works.

Robotronic wrote:
Also, how do we go about keeping the version of Homebridge built into the plugin updated?

For now just watch the forums, I'll post when I update. I haven't yet incorporated version checking into the plugin because I'm trying to figure out how to do that using GitHub instead of my old method of reading forum posts.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I considered that and when you think about the ability to even access Homebridge means they would have to compromise your network too then I think the damage is done. All of that being said, I'll add it to the list to add it back into the software in a very hidden way. Why? One of the reasons I took it out is the purpose of integrating Homebridge was so that people who didn't really know what they were doing with Homebridge didn't have to worry about it. The more options you give to people then the more chances there are that they post up here because they changed something and didn't understand the ramifications and then I've created more support headaches :).

Maybe a suggestion: add advanced config fields that are only shown when you check a "Advanced Features" checkbox. That gives you a simple standard dialog and an advanced area for stuff that's more for power users. In the case of this plugin, it is rather complex and so might benefit from some advanced settings.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:50 pm
Different Computers offline

Was I dreaming or hallucinating?

About a week ago, I happily discovered that the Home App "switches" that represent my AirPlay devices handled volume adjustments like a dimmer.

I haven't made any changes to HBB or my devices in iTunes this week.

But now, in the Home app, those AirPlay devices are all on/off only. They still show properly in the Eve app.

Perhaps relatedly, one of my doors was showing "98% open" last week, and now only shows Open/Closed. Could both of these be due to the iOS 11.01 update?

Any ideas?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.