Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 am
dprlemon offline

Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere if Indigo7 will be 64-bit and compatible with MacOS High Sierra. I 'm currently using v6 and will need to upgrade if v7 is 64-bit. If not, I'll need to start researching new software. Thanks

[MODERATOR NOTE] addressed on this topic in our announcements section.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:22 am
racarter offline

Re: Support for MacOS High Sierra (64-bit)

I'm running High Sierra beta on a MacBook Pro and the Indigo 7 client is fine.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am
jalves offline

I'm also running the client on the public beta of High Sierra without problems. However, no way am I going to upgrade my server machine to High Sierra until its out of beta AND Jay or Matt have said that Indigo server runs correctly on it.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 am
durosity offline

Yeah I’d wait on the developers stance on it. I’d expect it to be announced and released on Tuesday, so I predict a post from them effectively saying “we’ve tested it, it seems to be ok, but you might want to hold off for others to feed back on.”

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am
dprlemon offline

Thank you all for your responses. Yep, I think I'll wait for an official response from Jay or Matt. Quick question about High Sierra beta..Does it not have the About Mac option to pull a system report? That would show if apps are 64-bit.. Thanks again!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.40.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.40.14 PM.png (50.93 KiB) Viewed 6453 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Relax, 32-bit apps will still work on High Sierra - it's releases after that which may require 64-bit. Never fear - we plan to continue to support the latest macOS releases as they arrive. Apps delivered through the App store have some more firm deadlines, but that's not relevant for Indigo.

Of course, we always recommend waiting for several bug fix releases before upgrading - common sense for a Mac that's running mission-critical server software like Indigo. We're still testing with High Sierra and we'll keep everyone posted.

The Mac Client and the Indigo Plugin Host processes are already 64-bit. The server isn't, primarily for a single reason: AppleScript. We use the Carbon API library for AppleScript, and it will not be updated by Apple to support 64-bit only OS releases. It would take a massive effort to move to the server to the Cocoa AppleScript framework - effort which we will be spending on further Python plugin and scripting capabilities. We've been quite open for many years (since Indigo 5 was released on Nov 15, 2011 in fact) that AppleScript is legacy Indigo technology and will go away eventually.

So here's your first official AppleScript deprecation warning: Indigo will no longer support AppleScript beyond the upcoming Indigo 7.1 release. We highly recommend that you read the blog post on AppleScript deprecation as it has some really good information in it about converting from AppleScript to Python.

So as not to make this the catch-all for AppleScript deprecation posts, we've created an announcement post where we'd direct everyone. If you post anything AppleScript deprecation related on this thread it will be deleted - so click here before posting on that topic!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
Of course, we always recommend waiting for several bug fix releases before upgrading - common sense for a Mac that's running mission-critical server software like Indigo. We're still testing with High Sierra and we'll keep everyone posted.

And just a friendly reminder that we do not support beta releases of macOS or iOS, so definitely don't upgrade to those on Indigo essential hardware unless you are just experimenting and have an easy way to roll back.

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 am
PeteVis offline

A bit off topic, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Over at the SecuritySpy forum, users are warning about High Sierra.

Apparantly when locking the screen (as you would with i.e. a headless mac mini server where Indigo runs), High Sierra stops processing apps that are running in the foreground or background.
Maybe it's a bug, or maybe a feature... but it could be a big problem for users like me who have Indigo on a seperate Mac tucked away in the closet...

Posted on
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:21 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That we be very uncool if Apple doesn't fix it or make that a user settable option. Here is the thread on the SecuritySpy forum where they are discussing it.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

[WARNING] We have had enough reports of driver/USB issues, particularly with the PowerLinc, to post a warning to all users: it seems fairly clear that macOS High Sierra has some issues either with the FTDI driver or with USB on some Macs. We did have report of a Z-Wave interface issue but it's unclear if that's the same problem. The PowerLinc issue, however, has been reported multiple times and so we want to make it clear to users: if you upgrade to High Sierra you may well find that your PowerLinc will no longer connect.

Unlike most Mac apps, a major portion of the functionality that Indigo supports is provided through USB and drivers that are either included with macOS or through 3rd parties. When problems with these subsystems occur we generally can do nothing about them.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:21 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

And now I don't want to upgrade my systems! Of course I think that IOS 11 is FULL of bugs that desperately need worked out so I wasn't going to upgrade until the first patch or two anyway.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:13 pm
durosity offline

iOS 11 is by far the buggiest release they’ve ever had.. but what really “bugs” me is the fact many of the issues didn’t seem to appear in the betas.. for me at least anyway.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:17 pm
durosity offline

Oh and on the High Sierra situation I’ve seen a few reports of the same behaviour with 2011 iMacs where it appears to be stuffing the graphics card.. even after reverting to 10.12 the issue remains.. it’s also happened to my father in laws machine. So yeah.. heed Jays advice!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

For anyone experiencing the High Sierra/PowerLinc error, here's a potential workaround.

I still recommend waiting, even more so now that it looks like it's a regression bug in macOS that first appeared back in El Capitan.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 pm
JGTracy offline

I just upgraded to High Sierra, thinking that a couple of months was enough time for Apple to fix their bugs. I had upgraded on another <non critical> computer a couple of weeks ago and have had no problem. (OK, OK so I’m a fool) :oops: I am currently in the process of trying to get my <critical> MacMini back to Sierra (OS 10.12)

These things I have noticed with regards to Indigo 7.1.1:
1. Airfoil Pro plugin no longer can change the source when asked to do so by Indigo. Oddly, on one case, where I used an applet that contains an AppleScript does work to change the source.
2. The WeatherSnoop plugin no longer can get data from my Davis Weather Station.

I sure hope all plugin writers are busy getting their plug-ins up to <High Sierra> date. In the mean-time, it would be helpful if someone maintained a list of what plugins still have problems with High Sierra, so we can make individual decisions about upgrading to macOS 10.13.