Hue Lights discussion

Posted on
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: Hue Lights discussion

The Hue Lights plugin already supports the Hue Motion sensor (though the update frequency is limited to once every 2 seconds which may be too long for a few purposes). As for switches, because there'd still be a 2 second delay between when a switch was tapped and when the plugin detected the tap, that probably wouldn't provide the kind of experience most people would expect from a switch. So unless Philips changes something to facilitate a faster update time for switches, that probably won't be supported by the plugin. We'll see though. I'm not totally discounting the possibility.

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:46 pm
nsheldon offline

Version 1.6.6 Posted

• Added support for the Osram Classic A60 RGBW color bulb.
  • Added support for the Osram Flex RGBW color light strip.
  • Added support for the Osram PAR16 50 TW color temperature bulb.
  • Updated the supported features of the Osram Classic A60 TW color temperature bulb to correctly reflect its color temperature support.

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 am
Coolcaper offline

Hi Nathan,

I seem to be having issues with the 'Set Color Temperature' option.
I have set it as below:

But when it is executed the brightness goes to 80 instead of 10.

Sent Hue Lights "Bedroom Lamp D" on to 80 using color temperature 6410 K at ramp rate 5.0 sec.

The lamp is a Philips Hue Color bulb
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 17.47.17.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 17.47.17.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 am
nsheldon offline

Hi.

If using a Preset Color Recipe other than "Custom", the color recipe overrides the Brightness value. Change the Preset Color Recipe to "Custom" and enter a color temperature of somewhere around 6000 and use whatever brightness you like. That should work. I need to modify the dialog box to remove the ability to change Brightness if any Preset Color Recipe is selected other than "Custom". Thanks for pointing that out.

Let me know if using "Custom" instead of "Energize" works for you as expected.

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 am
Coolcaper offline

Thanks for the quick response. That works!

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 am
Grevling offline

Hi,

Any chance you will include support for other IKEA Trådfri bulbs as well (if provided with the necessary information on them)?

Thanks for a great plugin

G

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 am
nsheldon offline

Sure. I just need the model ID of the lights and what kind of color they support (if any). The best way to give me that info is with a debug log output like in previous posts. Note that I can only add support for lights you've already paired with and can use on your Hue hub.

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 am
Grevling offline

Great.

One other question (might be a little OT). Do you (or anyone else) know if there is any way to connect the IKEA switches an dimmers to the hue hub? Can't seem to find much info on that online.

G

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:27 am
nsheldon offline

Sorry. I don't. Maybe others will though.

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:40 am
Busta999 offline

I really like the idea off adding cheaper Ikea and currently Osram bulbs.

But......

I am fearful that Philips decide to push out a Hub Update that blocks all non Philips bulbs and all of a sudden your cheap light bulbs are expensive LED lights.

Am I being overly conservative?

Maybe I could use them in rooms where they are standalone, ie in a bathroom with an Ikea motion detector/switch, so if I lose Central/Indigo Control they still function?

Any thoughts ?

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 am
marketability offline

you could go with a z-wave motion detector?
Must admit my instinct (so far) has been to stick with Philips for bulbs and z-wave for switches and motion - made a bit easier by the more recent white only bulbs
I have a few Hue motion detectors but as z-wave gives you a lot more control and data in my opinion - thats my "go to" solution
hope that helps

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 am
Busta999 offline

marketability wrote:
you could go with a z-wave motion detector?
Must admit my instinct (so far) has been to stick with Philips for bulbs and z-wave for switches and motion - made a bit easier by the more recent white only bulbs
I have a few Hue motion detectors but as z-wave gives you a lot more control and data in my opinion - thats my "go to" solution
hope that helps

If I have an Ikea light bulb and a Zwave motion detector and Philips decide to block non Philips devices form their Hub I am in a cul de sac.

Indigo will detect motion but won't be able to control the Ikea light bulb.

I currently use 6 Hue Motion detectors. I also have 2 Zwave motion detectors.

I prefer the Hue Motion Detectors because they will will control lights even if Indigo goes down. Zwave associations allow that but I have not found a way, yet, to use associations so that they only trigger an On action if the current light level is below a specific threshold. Hue Motion detectors will do that for me without having to involve Indigo.

Also, Hue Motion Detectors are cheaper, £34/$35 each compared to ZWave £50/$55.

I use Zwave Motion Detectors in the Kitchen and the Craft Room/Study because the lights in this rooms are managed by Zwave .

In one room, the Walk in Closet, I use a Hue Motion Detector with Hue Ceiling lights and Zwave controlled indirect lighting. The Zwave cuts in up to 2 seconds after the Hue. I am Ok with that for the moment, the Hue light the way into the room, the Zwave lights add extra light by the time you have actually got to the wardrobes/racks.

Ultimately, when budget allows, Ill tidy that up - but for the moment it is Ok.

In order for, "She who must be obeyed" , to accept HA it has to automatic and incredibly reliable, and lighting must ALWAYS work.

Indigo monitors all the Hue autonomous activities and reacts, but largely I let Hue do what it is good at.

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:55 am
Different Computers offline

Busta999 wrote:
I am fearful that Philips decide to push out a Hub Update that blocks all non Philips bulbs and all of a sudden your cheap light bulbs are expensive LED lights.

Am I being overly conservative?

My one thought is that Hue did this already, and got such loud push back from their users that they reversed this decision. I think they've realized the appeal of their hub being usable with many other kinds of bulbs. Hue has the high end of the market and their bulbs are VERY nice. People who buy cheaper bulbs to fill out a Hue starter kit will notice the quality difference and over time, buy more Hue stuff.

But more to the point, we at least have one firm data point that they realized their mistake once, and fixed it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 am
Different Computers offline

Busta999 wrote:
marketability wrote:
I prefer the Hue Motion Detectors because they will will control lights even if Indigo goes down..

Has this ever, ever happened? 100% of the unreliability of my home automation is either something that has been my own fault, or the result of my network going weird, or an end point device doing terrible things to my network. Indigo has been 100% reliable for me for 18+ months, or however long I've been using it. And I don't mean 99.999% uptime. I mean 100% uptime.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:
My one thought is that Hue did this already, and got such loud push back from their users that they reversed this decision. I think they've realized the appeal of their hub being usable with many other kinds of bulbs. Hue has the high end of the market and their bulbs are VERY nice. People who buy cheaper bulbs to fill out a Hue starter kit will notice the quality difference and over time, buy more Hue stuff.

But more to the point, we at least have one firm data point that they realized their mistake once, and fixed it.

Valid points.

Page 53 of 103 1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 103