Ring Doorbell Plugin

Posted on
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:13 pm
spiv offline

Re: Ring Doorbell Plugin

The silver metal finish is actually quite nice. And the bronze metal version blends nicely with many exteriors.

The flush mounted one is also a unique option as the flush installation makes the size less an issue and has a professional "built-in" look.

I had mixed feelings, but the "aesthetic committee" (which is VERY picky, er, "selective") approved the silver version.

You have to look at it installed, not just in isolation as a product photo.

YMMV, but I prefer the "may look different, but doesn't look like the cheap crap all my friends see at Costco or Best Buy".

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 am
whmoorejr offline

Ring should be releasing an ONVIF version of their product within the next 3-5 months.

That would put their product back in the running for me.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 am
durosity offline

Oh now that'd be good. That plus native HomeKit support (which they promised for end 2016) would be perfecto!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 am
gskarp offline

At least some Doorbird models can be flush mounted . I wish I could flush mount my ring instead of having it sit like a rectangular pimple on my wall.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:05 am
whmoorejr offline

Has anyone found/seen any mounting plates for the Doorbird to put it at an angle?

Slightly trivial, but that is a reason for me to go with the ring over the door bird. My doorbell is perpendicular to my door and walkway. I would want it at a 45deg. to get a little more motion warning of the approaching visitor.

I would actually prefer to rewire the setup and put the doorbell next to the door, but that is wife declared "Decoration space" and "off limits" to my nerd stuff.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am
spiv offline

whmoorejr wrote:
Ring should be releasing an ONVIF version of their product within the next 3-5 months.

That would put their product back in the running for me.

Only if it also features Power Over Ethernet (PoE). Without PoE, it is still a pain to install and professional installers hate it (not having PoE)

Last I checked, Ring Pro requires 12-24V AC, not DC, which is a real PITA and not conforming to PoE which uses DC voltage.

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
kelmk offline

Have you seen the ring elite? Coming sometime this year

https://ring.com/elite

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:58 pm
autolog offline

kelmk wrote:
Have you seen the ring elite? Coming sometime this year

https://ring.com/elite

Incredibly expensive for a doorbell :shock:

Posted on
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 pm
spiv offline

Makes the DoorBird look a lot more affordable :-)

I assume this is the model with ONVIF? Hopefully they won't lock you in to monthly charges as that has been Ring and Nest main profit strategy (razor/razorblades scheme).

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 am
autolog offline

A few questions/observations about this plugin :) :

First off, I am seeing some sort of memory leak. The plugin is currently using 1.21GB. The previous occasion it was over 4GB :shock:
If I reload the plugin, it shows as using 16.3MB.
To resolve this I have to reload the plugin on a regular basis.

It also seems to stop working after a while and it doesn't pick up motion or bell pushes, it does after a plugin reload.

Looking at the plugin on Github, I now note that the ring module within the plugin contents is shipped as a .pyc file - there is no equivalent python source.
Is there a reason for this and/or can the python source be added to Github rather than a just .pyc where the python source can't be independently checked. :)

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm
brianmaas offline

Any chance of adding the Ring Floodlight to the supported devices?

Brian

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm
mpoulson offline

I have updated the plugin to support FloodLights with 1.13.

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:56 pm
mpoulson offline

@Autolog

I have confirmed there is a nasty memory leak going on. I have pinpointed it to every request to the Ring APIs. I tried a number of changes to resolve the leak without any luck yet. In the short-term I have updated the plugin (v0.1.14) to auto-restart the plugin after ~12 hours which will prevent the leak from consuming all memory on the system.