Welcome to NEST Home

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:48 pm
Chameleon offline

Welcome to NEST Home

Objective of NEST Home

NEST Home is an Indigo Pro 6.1 plug-in that is designed to support the management of multiple NEST Thermostats and NEST Protects in a single location. I like my NESTs and they’re really good at what they do but I just feel that I could achieve even more if I could link them to my Home Automation Server.

Although the plug-in is clearly defined for Indigo, and uses its’ innate functionality, I believe that the code could be easily ‘transported’ to another environment. The strategies for talking to the NEST API, reading & controlling NESTs and mapping configurations is generic and can be used for other systems. Happy to support someone who wants to try.

Features

This plug-in provides the following features out of the box (not that it comes in box obviously):

Identification, setup & management of multiple NEST Thermostats and Protects in a single location

Automatic generation of a NEST API key unique to your system from the configuration dialog

Works with both Generation 1 and Generation 2 devices

Real-time automated mapping of a NEST infrastructure and the ability to display or print it

Automatic creation & deletion of NEST devices in Indigo without the need for configuration

Direct access to the NEST API for personal devices through an Outh2.0 key on secure https

Ability to read all NEST Fields on both thermostats and protects (See the API here https://developer.nest.com/documentation/api-reference for more information)

Know exactly what your system is doing with real time access to System State

Ability to update all Target Temperature fields using either Centigrade or Fahrenheit scales

Control Heating, Cooling and Hybrid Heat/Cool systems automatically

Set heat points, cool points or both for individual or groups of devices

Incorporate NEST fields as triggers for other devices (e.g. turn off heating if window open,
    sound alarm or email if protect identifies a smoke or CO emergency))

Manage independent fan systems if attached

Manage AWAY status to tell NEST your Home or Away or trigger Indigo actions if
    the NEST reports away (e.g. switch off lights, set alarm, etc.)

Monitor all fields directly in your Home Automation setup

Gain access to the alarms & colour ring on the Nest Protect to help identify alarms or level of
    emergency to allow other home automation triggers (switch off heating, start fan, etc...)

View current status of each device with colour-coded state icons (e.g. heating, cooling, warning, emergency, etc...)

Gain access to specific states not available in the official API including if the system is heating, cooling, saving energy or off

Gain access to other custom states that aren't in the API such as Days since last test, Days since last Warning or Emergency and Last Type of Warning or Emergency are available for the Protect device. Useful in triggers and control pages

Access virtual Google Nest Developer Site tools to test and trial ideas

Manage multiple locations using NEST Home 2 in parallel with NEST Home

Manage multiple clients with the same “Works with NEST” profile

Requirements

This plug-in requires some things to make it work properly. In addition to some NEST devices you'll need:

Indigo 6.1 Pro (or above)

Python 2.6 or greater (not tested on Python 3.x)

Some NEST devices (or use of a NEST Developer trial set up)

home.nest.com account configured with your devices

Restrictions or known issues

There are a few restrictions at the moment. I'm hoping with the support of the rest of the community you'll help me solve them in further releases:

Must be run from within Indigo 6.1 Pro as a plug-in and use Python 2.6 or greater

Limited to updates every 60 seconds or greater (NEST limitation)

Actions on temperatures use ‘degrees’ as the action value. However, it is not possible for
    Indigo to specify units (i.e. you must use the right units according to the scale setting on the
    particular device you’re using) which seems to be an Indigo constraint

Limited to 10 devices in one location (mix of Thermostats or Protects in any combination) a NEST constraint

Chameleon

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:17 am
Tsjompie offline

Re: Welcome to NEST Home

Chameleon,

Thanks a million for creating this plug-in :D

I had some trouble making it work (how hard can it be :oops: ), but got the setup completed now.

The details show in the Indigo interface, very happy with this.

Tsjompie

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:14 pm
Chameleon offline

Tsjompie wrote:
Chameleon,

Thanks a million for creating this plug-in :D

I had some trouble making it work (how hard can it be :oops: ), but got the setup completed now.

The details show in the Indigo interface, very happy with this.

Tsjompie

My pleasure.... And thank for being so motivational. Let me know if there's any features you'd like to see added. There will be a new update soon.

Regards

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:30 pm
Brady offline

Also greatly appreciate the work you've done on this! Works great for me.

Only feature I'm wishing for is ability to toggle Nest Cams on and off :-) Only feature I miss from the HomeSeer Nest plugin I came from. Probably a larger ask though as it would be a new device type. They don't support viewing from the API only turning on / off streaming. Loved having our 'baby monitor' turn on when her door is closed for nap time so we don't waste bandwidth on the upstream.

Thanks!!

Posted on
Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 am
Chameleon offline

Brady wrote:
Also greatly appreciate the work you've done on this! Works great for me.

Only feature I'm wishing for is ability to toggle Nest Cams on and off :-) Only feature I miss from the HomeSeer Nest plugin I came from. Probably a larger ask though as it would be a new device type. They don't support viewing from the API only turning on / off streaming. Loved having our 'baby monitor' turn on when her door is closed for nap time so we don't waste bandwidth on the upstream.

Thanks!!

Funny you should mention that.... Won't be long :)

Mike

Posted on
Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm
jphauck offline

I am feeling stupid - really stupid. But here it goes...

I want to really make this nest thing work because it so is accurate on home and away status. I set it up but it does not not see my nest cam. What do i do? Did I install the wrong version?

NEST Home 3 Setting up the API...
NEST Home 3 Refreshing NEST map from home.nest.com...
NEST Home 3 Secure connection to Nest API devices secured...
NEST Home 3 {}
NEST Home 3 Secure connection to Nest API structures secured...
NEST Home 3 Nest Has detected the following devices...no NEST Thermostats and: no NEST Protects
NEST Home 3 Failed to access API - MAIN THREAD
NEST Home 3 {}
NEST Home 3 Nest Has detected the following devices...no NEST Thermostats and: no NEST Protects
NEST Home 3 Failed to access API - NEST DISPLAY

Jim H.
Concord, CA

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:09 pm
DVDDave offline

jphauck wrote:
I am feeling stupid - really stupid. But here it goes...

I want to really make this nest thing work because it so is accurate on home and away status. I set it up but it does not not see my nest cam. What do i do? Did I install the wrong version?

NEST Home 3 {}
NEST Home 3 Failed to access API - MAIN THREAD
NEST Home 3 {}
NEST Home 3 Failed to access API - NEST DISPLAY

Exactly the same situation here (including feeling stupid)... I'm running 2.0.50 on Indigo 7.

--Dave

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 am
marketability offline

pretty sure it doesn't link to cameras - only to thermostats
do you have 3 thermostats? there are three plugins nest1 nest2 and nest3, if you only have one thermostat then nest1 is the one I think

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am
DVDDave offline

marketability wrote:
pretty sure it doesn't link to cameras - only to thermostats
do you have 3 thermostats? there are three plugins nest1 nest2 and nest3, if you only have one thermostat then nest1 is the one I think

Actually, I'm using just Nest Home (not 2 or 3) and getting the same problem. According to the documentation, I think it is now supposed to work with cameras, at least to turn them on and off.

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:22 am
Chameleon offline

I'm working on the camera update and will be releasing it in the next week or so. The NEST Cam API has been a little bit flaky to get running reliably but I think I'm there now as it's running consistently in Alpha testing. Do either of you fancy helping me beta test in the wild in the week or so?

Mike

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 am
DVDDave offline

Chameleon wrote:
I'm working on the camera update and will be releasing it in the next week or so. The NEST Cam API has been a little bit flaky to get running reliably but I think I'm there now as it's running consistently in Alpha testing. Do either of you fancy helping me beta test in the wild in the week or so?

Mike

Great! Would be happy to help. Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:31 am
marketability offline

happy to help!

Posted on
Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 pm
Brady offline

Chameleon wrote:

Mike

Looking forward to this modification! Let me know if I or anybody from the community can assist in any way! Thanks for all the work on this plugin.

Posted on
Tue May 30, 2017 9:08 am
Cheezmo offline

I'm not seeing my Nest devices update automatically any more. Unless I click the Send Status Request button I don't see any activity in the log when the temperature/humidy, etc. on the actual thermostats change.

Posted on
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 pm
DVDDave offline

Hi Mike,

I now have a Nest Protect in addition to my NestCam so I'm doubly interested in any progress on this plugin. My Protect is recognized automatically and seems to return device status. However, triggers relating to ring color seem to fire randomly every 15 seconds or so. Anything getting close to test for the Cam or Protect? Thanks!

--Dave