Indigo supported smoke detector

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 pm
Juggler offline

Indigo supported smoke detector

I'm looking to purchase 4x smoke/CO detectors for my house and am wondering if Indigo supports any natively. I've seen the Nest Protect plugin and that Insteon has the OneLink Bridge. For the Nest, I would prefer to keep my data to myself. The OneLink seems to get very bad ratings.

My home is newer and has 120V to each "outlet".

Are there any other solutions out there that someone could recommend?

Cheers,
J.

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:08 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Indigo supported smoke detector

I use First Alert Z-Wave alarms (ZCOMBO) and they're supported natively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:02 am
johnpolasek offline

Juggler wrote:
I'm looking to purchase 4x smoke/CO detectors for my house and am wondering if Indigo supports any natively. I've seen the Nest Protect plugin and that Insteon has the OneLink Bridge. For the Nest, I would prefer to keep my data to myself. The OneLink seems to get very bad ratings.

My home is newer and has 120V to each "outlet".

Are there any other solutions out there that someone could recommend?

Cheers,
J.

I've had the OneLink and smoke bridge option in my house for two years, and the only problem I have had was one false alarm when a detector triggered and then sent an all clear before my brother could get to it.. I do like having the "When one goes off, they all do" option without having to add the signal wire, which I'm not sure the Z-wave does; the documentation wasn't clear on that... maybe Dave knows.

The only other recommendation I could make is to find one that will take the heat and cold to put in the attic crawl space. A whole lot of fires start electrically in the attics, and by the time they trigger a smoke detector downstairs , the ceiling is within minutes or seconds of collapsing.

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:18 am
Different Computers offline

A second for the ZCOMBO from First Alert. No false positives in a year & it paired instantly with my setup. Maybe, just maybe, it's a bit less than optimal on battery usage.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
"When one goes off, they all do" option without having to add the signal wire, which I'm not sure the Z-wave does; the documentation wasn't clear on that...

The ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO do not support this feature (at least as far as I know and with the versions I have, which are a couple of years). I solved it by getting a Z-Wave siren and centrally placing it in the house. It goes off when any of the detectors go off, and it's SUPER loud so no chance of sleeping through it.

And I do recommend the ZCOMBO, seems quite reliable whenever I test them. The down side is that they aren't AC powered so they're always on battery.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 am
yassi offline

jay (support) wrote:
johnpolasek wrote:
"When one goes off, they all do" option without having to add the signal wire, which I'm not sure the Z-wave does; the documentation wasn't clear on that...

The ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO do not support this feature (at least as far as I know and with the versions I have, which are a couple of years). I solved it by getting a Z-Wave siren and centrally placing it in the house. It goes off when any of the detectors go off, and it's SUPER loud so no chance of sleeping through it.

And I do recommend the ZCOMBO, seems quite reliable whenever I test them. The down side is that they aren't AC powered so they're always on battery.

Jay, am I right that these devices are only for the american market? Can't find an european version.

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:37 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think First Alert is a US-only company unfortunately.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 am
yassi offline

jay (support) wrote:
I think First Alert is a US-only company unfortunately.

Jay, thx.
Bought two Everspring smoke detectors.

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Cool - are they working OK? I'd forgotten about those...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 pm
yassi offline

jay (support) wrote:
Cool - are they working OK? I'd forgotten about those...

Well, I didn't had a fire yet :lol:
(Have to buy a smoke spray to test them in "real conditions")

But, I was able to include them without issues, and test some triggers. So far no issues.
Let's see how long the battery will last (it's a 9V one).

And another argument for buying them was the price (got 2 for about 48€).

Yassi
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-06 um 20.21.36.png
Device
Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-06 um 20.21.36.png (156.33 KiB) Viewed 6174 times

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:52 am
tomstoekenbroek offline

i understand that i can not include the ZCOMBO in the Netherlands? Is there another solution to include it in my network?
i have three of them.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:03 am
durosity offline

as far as i can tell they all run at 865.2MHz whereas EU frequencies are 868.42MHz, and there doesn't appear to be an wired terminals that you could use with say a universal sensor, so unfortunately no it doesn't look like they'll work.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:52 am
Albatros offline

I did the following as I do not trust Fibaro smoke sensors and I trust German Gira. And I realy like the design of the Gira sensors and secondly they have smoke and heat detection.

- 8 Gira smoke sensors with Gira RF module connected to each other. So have a network of connected smoke sensors. If you can wire the smoke sensors you do not need the Gira RF Module.
- One Gira smoke sensor with RF connected, with wire, to a Gira smoke sensor with a Gira relay module. The Gira Alarm relay is connected to a Fibaro Universal sensor. With this step I have it integrated in my Indigo system
- The Gira Relay module has an option to trigger all the Gira Smoke sensor Alarm ( a hell of a noise) with a button. So you can use the smoke sensors as a Sirine. I know for sure if a burglar is in the house and the smoke sensor alarm is triggered by Indigo they will run out off the house. You can't stand the noise.

Gira Dual Q
https://www.euro-electronics.nl/Gira-23 ... ver-wit-9V

Gira RF Module
https://www.euro-electronics.nl/Draadlo ... AuEz8P8HAQ

Gira Relay
https://www.installatievakwinkel.nl/gir ... An1Z8P8HAQ

Ei Electronics is a specialized Smoke sensor company from Germany, a long history in making these devices instead of z-wave companies making a reliable smoke sensor. With relay modules an RF modules. But the design is less than the Gira. For CO I used the Ei 208W + EI200RMF module + Ei428RF Realy Module + Fibaro Universal Sensor

POPP, the z-wave brand, has now a z-wave co sensor from EI electronics. This would now be a much more easier solution than the one I have used for co.

And for smoke sensors I think Popp has used an Ei module and made it z-wave compatible.

Popp z-wave co sensor
http://www.hashop.nl/POPP-CO-Sensor?gcl ... AnuD8P8HAQ

Popp z-wave smoke sensor
http://www.hashop.nl/Z-Wave-Plus-Rookme ... e-(10-jaar)

Ei Electronic products
https://www.robbshop.nl/208-wrf-co-meld ... ics#sqr:(q[EI%20ELECTRONICS])

With these devices you do not have to have an internet connection, like you would with Nest, to have it integrated to Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 am
Asconasny offline

why do you not trust fibaro smoke sensors?

I have 14 of these, should i be worried?

Asconasny

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:04 am
Albatros offline

Asconasny wrote:
why do you not trust fibaro smoke sensors?

Not sure how it is right now but in the beginning off the fibaro smoke sensors there were so many reports about battery life, smoke detection problems, lux problems etc. And based upon my personal experience with Fibaro as a company, devices and the HC2 box I do n't trust the company to critical functions in my house. Like door locks or other security parts like smoke or co sensors. light switching is fine but no security parts.

I have had so many problems with the Fibaro HC2 box and Fibaro devices just switching without any interaction. I called it the Fibaro Ghost. Even with the Indigo system, which I love and is so reliable, this year a Fibaro wall plug of my heating system was switched off with not any explanation.

Thats why for security parts off my domotics system I rely on company's who their core business is not fancy flashy z-wave products but producing reliable security/electronics for many many years. So popp made a wise decision to make Ei products z-wave compatible and not producing a device themselves. Making smoke sensors is just another business.