Doorbell in HomeKit

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 am
haavarda offline

Doorbell in HomeKit

I found something very exiting when it comes to doorbells and HomeKit today. It seams as I can get a rich notification with a picture from my door camera if someone is at the door.
I have a fibaro sensor at the door and a web camera so this should be possible...? Is this possible to do with HBB?

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/710/

So now, for example, if you have a doorbell, a door lock, and a camera which are all configured by the user to be part of a room, maybe the user called the room an entryway, HomeKit will automatically associate services from these different accessories, and they can provide contact-sensitive controls to the user. This enables for some magical experiences like rich notifications.

So, for example, now here, when the doorbell rings, HomeKit will automatically take a snapshot from the camera, and the user is presented with a rich notification.

Håvard

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 am
blysik offline

Re: Doorbell in HomeKit

I'm excited by this possibility also. However, right now, homebridge-indigo can't expose a motion sensor to homekit.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

haavarda wrote:
Is this possible to do with HBB?

I could absolutely replicate the behavior up to the rich notification part of it. HB and HB-Indigo have to support the feature to have it give you that kind of notification.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 am
blysik offline

Yeah, the rich notification is the interesting bit. Motion sensor + snapshot a camera + iMessage the picture to you is easily done in just Indigo. I really want to see how HomeKit presents that rich notification.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:55 pm
Different Computers offline

Isn't it possible to have a motion sensor work with HomeKit with "treat as switch" in the config file?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:06 pm
blysik offline

But then to HomeKit it's a switch, so it won't trigger the rich notification stuff.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 am
haavarda offline

I think this might be possible.
If I set up a sensor in HBB and add the plugin below. I think it is possible to set up an automation in homekit that enables the doorbell if the sensor is activated.
Is there a guide on how to install homebridge plugins properly? Or is it possible to add the plugin below in HBB?

https://github.com/Samfox2/homebridge-doorbell

Håvard

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:02 am
webdeck offline

haavarda wrote:
I think this might be possible.
If I set up a sensor in HBB and add the plugin below. I think it is possible to set up an automation in homekit that enables the doorbell if the sensor is activated.
Is there a guide on how to install homebridge plugins properly? Or is it possible to add the plugin below in HBB?

https://github.com/Samfox2/homebridge-doorbell

That doorbell plugin doesn't actually do anything, according to its readme. The latest homebridge-indigo and latest Homebridge Buddy plugin support sensors.

Be aware that a lot of people are reporting that they are experiencing server hangs with the latest Homebridge Buddy plugin.

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:29 am
haavarda offline

The developer has this info that I found interesting:

Currently the plugin only emulates the doorbell with the identify command. If placed in a room with a camera it sends a notification with a snapshot/stream to your ios device after pushing the "identify" button in a homekit app.

So if I have a sensor added to homebride, I should be able to set up an automation scenario where it pushes the doorbell if the sensor is tripped.
Or am I missing something?

Håvard

Page 1 of 1